Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can this suit pass as vintage?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I have recently acquired, very cheap, this suit. It is probably 80's or 90's. It is SB 3 button, and has a pretty high gorge, suggestive (I think) of early 20th century styles. The pattern, as you see, is a widely spaced pinstripe, white on light grey. Material is a lightweight viscose and linen mix. Cut is more of a sack-coat like, I mean, not snug fit, nor taper at the waist.

3BSuit.jpg

What do you think? Is is appropriate enough as a vintage-inspired piece? Did such a wide-spaced pinstripe pattern exist at the time, or does this make the suit incompatible with a vintage impression?

Regards!

PseudoGent

New in Town
I may not be of too much help, but I have seen some edwardian lounge suits bearing that exact style of stripe (from era photos, of course). As for construction, it definitely exudes "sack coat' vibes to me, and I could imagine you as a very dapper edwardian gentleman with that on your torso.
Hope I was of some help.

GBR

One of the Regulars
No. It looks just like what you describe - an 80s/90s abomination.Doubtless there was some influence in its 'designer' to be kind to the person from somewhere in the past but it really does not pass muster - Either save your money or rue wasting it.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Frankly, I have no problem with it being vintage inspired. It can work. One thing that throws me is the breast pocket: not enough slant to it.

I have a similar modern jacket that I've put to good use and the general public is none the wiser, they think it is true vintage. It really depends upon what accessories you pair with it. Paired with the the right accessories, that jacket can look vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto