Can this suit pass as vintage?

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Torpedo, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Torpedo

Torpedo One Too Many

Hello,

I have recently acquired, very cheap, this suit. It is probably 80's or 90's. It is SB 3 button, and has a pretty high gorge, suggestive (I think) of early 20th century styles. The pattern, as you see, is a widely spaced pinstripe, white on light grey. Material is a lightweight viscose and linen mix. Cut is more of a sack-coat like, I mean, not snug fit, nor taper at the waist.

[​IMG]

What do you think? Is is appropriate enough as a vintage-inspired piece? Did such a wide-spaced pinstripe pattern exist at the time, or does this make the suit incompatible with a vintage impression?

Regards!

2. PseudoGent

PseudoGent New in Town

I may not be of too much help, but I have seen some edwardian lounge suits bearing that exact style of stripe (from era photos, of course). As for construction, it definitely exudes "sack coat' vibes to me, and I could imagine you as a very dapper edwardian gentleman with that on your torso.
    Hope I was of some help.

3. GBR

GBR One of the Regulars

No. It looks just like what you describe - an 80s/90s abomination.Doubtless there was some influence in its 'designer' to be kind to the person from somewhere in the past but it really does not pass muster - Either save your money or rue wasting it.

4. "I personally don't have a problem with the suit, it's the Shirt and tie (and that Hankie) that need to go, replaced with Something along the lines of the one worn here by Hugh Grant on the right"

[​IMG]

5. Torpedo

Torpedo One Too Many

Thanks for all opinions. I am not still sure if I like it or not. [huh]

6. thunderw21

thunderw21 I'll Lock Up

Frankly, I have no problem with it being vintage inspired. It can work. One thing that throws me is the breast pocket: not enough slant to it.

I have a similar modern jacket that I've put to good use and the general public is none the wiser, they think it is true vintage. It really depends upon what accessories you pair with it. Paired with the the right accessories, that jacket can look vintage.