Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you please tell me who does the original?!?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, I stand corrected - I didn't play the right track last time.

But I've always seen The Mooche attributed to Duke and manager Irving Mills. Your link may claim to be Lonnie Johnson (who was a blues guitarist, no?), but it sure SOUNDS like Duke's orchestra.

(Added) Hey, it even lists Duke Ellington on the Lonnie Johnson album cover.

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
On that particular track, he is indeed a guest in Duke's Orchestra however, and I'm no expert, but I do believe that Lonnie recorded "The Mooche" when he was on the Okeh label in 1926, pre-dating the Ellington versions.

lol That wasn'rt the choicest link to use, whoops!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I still believe that the song in question is the well-known Duke Ellington orchestral composition (co-attributed to Irving Mills) first recorded in 1928, but fine, whatever...

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
You're probably right.

While I take Wikipedia with a grain of salt .. I did find this ..

"Many of these musicians remained with Ellington's orchestra for decades. While many were noteworthy in their own right, it was Ellington's musical genius that melded them into one of the most well-known orchestral units in the history of jazz. His compositions were often written specifically for the style and skills of these individuals, such as "Jeep's Blues" for Johnny Hodges, "Concerto for Cootie" (Do Nothing 'Til You Hear From Me) for Cootie Williams and "The Mooche" for Tricky Sam Nanton."

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Now see what you started, Midnight Palace

I found my copy of "The Mooche" [sic] by Ellington on a CD compilation from Ken Burn's Jazz.
As "Ham" Brooks might say "Asked and answered" ;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, that's definitely the case: he didn't just write for sections, he wrote for individuals. Sometimes, he used a riff that one of his soloists had improvised as the basis for a song and gave them co-composer credit.

I've been a big Ellington fan for around 30 years - I've got piles of LPs and CDs, have read all the major biographies, etc. He gets my vote for being America's greatest composer! (Sorry, Gershwin, Ives, Copland, Bernstein, Rodgers, etc.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred