Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canta y no llores - tequila!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'm not really a tequila drinker and have seen Cuervo send many a friend under the table.

The only type I have ever tried and been able to tolerate was Don Julio, with the occasional exception of a cocktail called a Periodista (tequila, lime, apricot brandy...). I've never even been a margarita fan.

During a trip to Mexico (from which I returned yesterday, actually), I had the pleasure of sipping some Herradura Reposado with the husband of one of my dad's cousins, who grew up with Don Julio, knows the makers of many of Mexico's finest tequilas, and claims that Herradura Añejo is absolutely the best.

Do you have a favorite? Do you have good margarita or other tequila cocktail recipes?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
A tequila gimlet on the rocks is my standard cocktail, and I'm not terribly choosy about which tequila is used, though I do insist on something other than Cuervo.

Sauza Conmemorativo is what I usually buy for home use.

rumblefish

One Too Many
skyvue said:
A tequila gimlet on the rocks is my standard cocktail.

Now that's an idea! Tequila and Rose's :eusa_clap :)

I like a Salty Coyote. Grapefruit and tequila on the rocks with a salted rim.
Or the same deconstructed; dip grapefruit sections in salt (sometimes mixed salt with cayenne or dried chipotle powder)- bite and wash down with tequila or mescal.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
I love tequila. It agrees with me and I have no trouble drinking it. But until recently, I've felt people have filed tequila in the non-connoisseuer dept, so I haven't purchased many varied bottles - just bought a fancy shot here and there when at a bar that specializes in the stuff. HOWEVER, I am one shopping trip away from buying a bottle of some Trago Reposada. In the $70 range, it's a bit of a commitment, but it is very well reviewed and I need to step up my game a bit.

Here is a review, from one of the greatest & funniest liquor review sites around:

http://www.boozebasher.com/2008-06-11/liquors-of-the-month/liquor-review-trago-reposado/

As far as mixing tequila, I had cocktail the other night that was champagne, tequila, honey...and something else that I can't recall (fennel? or something wacky like that). If I was to duplicate it at home I might use agave syrup instead of honey.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Caroline, I agree. I think tequila has gotten a rather bad reputation. I know I looked down on it for many years, until seeing that there are places where cultured people sip tequila like one would sip a fine Scotch here, and that it's not just for drunken frat boys looking for a way under the table.

Rumblefish, that sounds delicious. I'll definitely give it a try!

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
mmm, one of my favorite topics

I love tequila! My father is from Mexico and we go there often. The best tequila I have to say I've had is the Sauza Tres Generaciones. So smooth, definitely intended for sipping and not shooting. Sauza Commemorativo was the first tequila that really got me to appreciate a fine tequila. Before it was just shots and lime of anything with that tequila kick. Another that is very good is Cazadores Reposado. My sister-in-law brought me some of that on her recent trip to Guadalajara.

As for cocktails, the ladies seem to like a Tequila Sunrise which is shot of tequila in some orange juice and grenadine (great way to start off the morning or :p ) But I have to agree with Rumblefish, a Salty Coyote is my favorite way to go.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
KittyT said:
During a trip to Mexico (from which I returned yesterday, actually), I had the pleasure of sipping some Herradura Reposado with the husband of one of my dad's cousins, who grew up with Don Julio, knows the makers of many of Mexico's finest tequilas, and claims that Herradura Añejo is absolutely the best.

Well, for my money....you've just sampled the best. It is a divine elixir. Of course, opinions vary, as they should. I find this to be a delightful, smooth-drinking beverage whose wonderful alcohol-filled nose is worth the price of admission alone. This is a sipping beverage, like a fine whiskey.

By and large, for day-to-day consumption, I prefer Reposados; they have enough of the rawness knocked off them to please me without the large price tag of the Añejos (and sometimes that extra aging just loses character, for me at least--heading steadily towards vodka....)

But....I envy you your trip to Mexico (as another near-Bostonian, you probably missed our latest foot of snow!), and am glad you found a Tequila you liked. There are LOTS more out there.....sample as many as you can. You'll find some winners, and have a lot of fun.

PS: I say all of this as someone who doesn't drink a lot of hard liquor, beer being my main interest. But--as hopefully we all do!--I know what I like :>)

randooch

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:

Definitely. Still undecided between the silver and the reposado, though. both darned tasty. and despite the obvious off-putting marketing with the name, i must admit, Hussong's in the jug is remarkable.

RBH

Bartender
I have come to like this one.

cabrito_reposado.jpg

http://haas-brothers.com/site/cabrito_tequila

rumblefish

One Too Many
Just became a fan of this:
2 0z.tequila- shaken and strained into a chilled cocktail glass, topped Q tonic, and garnished with a small hot pickled pepper.

STHill

One of the Regulars
I was with some buddies in the bar at the Flamingo in Vegas a few years ago. One of the guys said hey, let's do some tequila shooters. I was more of a beer guy, but hey, what the hell. Fortunately, the waitress advised us get some Don Julio and sip it, instead of doing shooters of the cheap stuff. It was an absolute epiphany.

Been a big Don Julio fan since then (I'm partial to the Anejo). Wonderfully flavorful and smooth. No problems the next day, either.

So, those of you more experienced than me--as a fan of Don Julio Anejo, what else might I like?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
El Tesoro Anjeo is my favorite, Don Julio Anejo is second and Tres Generaciones Anjeo is third.

(Although I wouldn't turn down many others, if offered!) ;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
STHill said:
So, those of you more experienced than me--as a fan of Don Julio Anejo, what else might I like?

Herradura. But seriously, you can probably take any of the recommendations given in this thread - as a whole, Loungers tend to have pretty good taste, so you won't find any terrible recommendations here :)

Miss 1929

Gak, Sauza makes me ill.

Give me Centanario any day.

But the best Tequila I ever had, had no name and came in a huge plastic jug, with no label on it, and was a gift from friends who lived in Tequila. It was so smooth....

Undertow

Miss 1929 said:
Gak, Sauza makes me ill.

Give me Centanario any day.

But the best Tequila I ever had, had no name and came in a huge plastic jug, with no label on it, and was a gift from friends who lived in Tequila. It was so smooth....

I have also had the good fortune of tasting a similar brew and was quite pleased. Of course, I have no idea if it had a name, it was in a milk jug. But my god, it was pleasant. :)

ezrydn

New in Town
I've never been much of a drinker. Yet, while working at JSC in Houston, we'd often go to Merida's Restaurant after evening testing, for dinner. It was there that I first had a margarita. It was fantastic! Then, later, I had a margarita somewhere else, thinking they'd taste the same. WRONG!

I went back to Merida's and talked to the owner about how his margaritas were made. He said, "Use a good quality tequila. Make one drink at a time! Ice first, then, enough tequila to float the ice, add mix." Then, he showed me his "little secret." He puts 1/2 tblsp. sugar into it. REALLY! Makes all the difference in the world.

The town of Tequila isn't far from me down here. I'm aware that they have a national tequila that is forbidden to leave the country. Mexico will put you in jail if they catch you transporting it out of the country.

There are agave fields everywhere you look.

I still use Merida's recipe and the Mexicans here love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider