Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

car colors...

davestlouis

Practically Family
What color car do loungers drive? What is your favorite/preferred color? In my life, the color I've owned the most is black, followed by shades of gray and silver. In my immediate family, between my wife, the kids and myself, we have one charcoal gray, one white, and 3 black.

Well, not owning any but looking at the Build List for what I intend to put together...

Black: LTD (MIB), Firebird (KITT)
2-tone black-over-silver: Firebird (KARR)
Dark green-almost-black: Jaguar XJ6 Series III (??? Miss 1929, if you see this could you please doublecheck this? I'm thinking of the Equalizer's Jag.)
OD: Jeep, M1939 6x6

I know, I know, big plans for a small guy on a shoestring budget...lol

Gromulus

Practically Family
Paint Chemist

I work in the paint industry (R&D, product development) and tend to take a practical approach with my vehicle colors. Without getting into the technical aspects of formulation and pigment effects, silver and gray are the most forgiving in terms of the majority of properties. Silver (aluminum/metallic), especially, is very good at hiding scratches and does not show dirt as readily as other darker or higher chroma colors. Of course black is the hardest to keep clean and readily shows scratches but almost any vehicle looks great in black - when clean.

My SUV gets lots of off-road use so silver metallic it is. Wife's car is also silver metallic and daughter's car is gray metallic.

Now if I ever get that Miata I have been lusting after it would have to be a brighter color, probably a copper red!

And I know of one KITT-builder who, for a while, had his car primered in a dead-flat black that would've been perfect to slap on an F-117A Nighthawk... a bunch of us called his car "Stealth KITT" until he got the proper 3-parts PPG Ditzler Midnight Black/2-parts Clearcoat mix applied.

Foofoogal

Banned
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/...essoriesBooklet/1957ChevroletCols-02_JPG.html

Someone on the FL sent me this link years ago. My grandfather had a 57 Chevy with the colors shown of Colonial Cream and Laurel Green.

This is my ultimate fave colors.
----------------------------------------

I hate that cars come in such boring colors and interiors now. I always get so disappointed and bored silly when we go look at new cars.

I have an odd beige color. We have had quite a few white ones over the years.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
My favorite car color is this... black and gold-ish color combination that was on our Volvo 740 Turbo. Gorgeous.

These days most of the cars my wife and I purchase are white or silver. Our Olds was white, our Mercury is silver, our Malibu was white, etc., etcetera.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/...essoriesBooklet/1957ChevroletCols-02_JPG.html

Someone on the FL sent me this link years ago. My grandfather had a 57 Chevy with the colors shown of Colonial Cream and Laurel Green.

This is my ultimate fave colors.
----------------------------------------

I hate that cars come in such boring colors and interiors now. I always get so disappointed and bored silly when we go look at new cars.

I have an odd beige color. We have had quite a few white ones over the years.

I agree about modern colors. My husband has a 57 chevy in Dusk Pearl.
My daily driver is red, it hasn't worn well it is faded on about 1/3 of the car.
My 59 Brookwood is a Frost Blue Poly with a white roof.

http://www.59classicchevy.com/body-colors.html

Pompidou

One Too Many
I tend to be drawn to red with black details. My ideal next vehicle will be a red Mini Cooper with the racing checkerboard detail work. My current vehicle is a blue 95 Chevy S10 that still looks new despite taking every offense a bad driver can inflict on a hapless vehicle and survive. I learned standard on this truck. I got in three wrecks with this truck. It just does not die. And like a superhero, its exterior always repairs to 100%. I can't put it down- it's always been there for me - for years and years. That said, I'd like something flashier next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ