Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Care of a leather jacket.

arkadijs

Familiar Face
I read on the Internet that skin of vegetable tanning demands more careful leaving than skin of chromic tanning and worse transfers water...? But, some famous producers of leather jackets write that within many years the jacket doesn't need processing by special creams? I have an old jacket the Lost Worlds-I once used Renapur renapur leather balsam.It has refreshed a jacket...Share the experience on care of a leather jacket? And what creams - balms you used?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
There's lots of information about this subject on this site already if you do a search. Long story short, there are two main schools. 1) Most jackets don't need any dressing ever (or maybe a little after 20 years). 2) Jackets can be given a coat of conditioner every year or two, especially after they have gotten wet.

As to what creams to use, Pecards is most popular here. One of the most acclaimed leather jacket craftsmen, John Chapman of Goodwear Leather says Petroleum Jelly is all you need, once every few years.

I personally think more jackets are ruined by over use of creams than those who never have cream used. I only use it on jackets that haven't been treated for 10 years or more, I find that it does little to improve the jacket but tends to make the jacket look better for a few days or weeks then it gradually fades off and the jacket looks pretty much as it did.

I would stay away from neatsfoot oil or other organic treatments like lanolin as they tend to rot stitching.

I personally think more jackets are ruined by over use of creams than those who never have cream used. I only use it on jackets that haven't been treated for 10 years or more, I find that it does little to improve the jacket but tends to make the jacket look better for a few days or weeks then it gradually fades off and the jacket looks pretty much as it did.

I would stay away from neatsfoot oil or other organic treatments like lanolin as they tend to rot stitching.

Signed and seconded.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yep, as has been said above.
I will add my 2¢ as to one thing even a new jacket needs (IMO).
I regularly take a wet washcloth (clean) and go over the inside of the collar/neck. Again, if you look at wonderful old leather jackets - esp horse hide, you'll see many of them have trashed neck folds. This is due to sweat/salt/oils of the neckline and ruin an otherwise great jacket. So go over the neck and then let dry - follow up with some Vaseline or Pecards.
Done and done.
Personally, I do Vaseline once a year on my leather. Don't overdo it and let it wear. Enjoy.

Alphahunter

Familiar Face
Which Pecards do you guys use? I went to amazon and they offer a variety. My Black Aero Steerhide Highwayman is pretty dry.
Thanks.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's lots of information about this subject on this site already if you do a search. Long story short, there are two main schools. 1) Most jackets don't need any dressing ever (or maybe a little after 20 years). 2) Jackets can be given a coat of conditioner every year or two, especially after they have gotten wet.

As to what creams to use, Pecards is most popular here. One of the most acclaimed leather jacket craftsmen, John Chapman of Goodwear Leather says Petroleum Jelly is all you need, once every few years.

I second a simple light Vaseline coating; leave over night them brush/buff with horsehair brush ( available on amazon cheaply )
Yep, as has been said above.
I will add my 2¢ as to one thing even a new jacket needs (IMO).
I regularly take a wet washcloth (clean) and go over the inside of the collar/neck. Again, if you look at wonderful old leather jackets - esp horse hide, you'll see many of them have trashed neck folds. This is due to sweat/salt/oils of the neckline and ruin an otherwise great jacket. So go over the neck and then let dry - follow up with some Vaseline or Pecards.
Done and done.
Personally, I do Vaseline once a year on my leather. Don't overdo it and let it wear. Enjoy.
I second this advice too. Micro fibre cloth, water damp, to wipe the collar area that contacts the skin. Since I ride motorcycles I frequently use a damp micro fibre cloth to wipe off dead bugs .

Fonzie

One Too Many
I have an Eastman A2 that bought of EBay and looks/smells like it’s been washed in washing machine with soap. The smell had faded after a few weeks but the leather, that has beautiful patina, is quite stiff in some of the panels, most notably the back and cargo pockets.
Would you recommend Vaseline or Pecards? I don’t want to loose the nice patina colours by darkening it with whatever I use. I just want it less stiff/dry.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

Thuggee

Practically Family
I have an Eastman A2 that bought of EBay and looks/smells like it’s been washed in washing machine with soap. The smell had faded after a few weeks but the leather, that has beautiful patina, is quite stiff in some of the panels, most notably the back and cargo pockets.
Would you recommend Vaseline or Pecards? I don’t want to loose the nice patina colours by darkening it with whatever I use. I just want it less stiff/dry.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

For what it’s worth I’ve used vaseline on a old schott cowhide peacoat I washed in the washing machine ( from memory with soap) left the leather very soft and rejuvenated after the leather had soaked up the vaseline, from my google research I’ve found some people saying vaseline is bad some saying it’s good, Pecards doesn’t seem to be readily available anywhere that I’ve looked here in Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fonzie

One Too Many
For what it’s worth I’ve used vaseline on a old schott cowhide peacoat I washed in the washing machine ( from memory with soap) left the leather very soft and rejuvenated after the leather had soaked up the vaseline, from my google research I’ve found some people saying vaseline is bad some saying it’s good, Pecards doesn’t seem to be readily available anywhere that I’ve looked here in Australia.

Thanks, Did it affect the colour after the Vaseline?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I used a (water based?) conditioner I found at car interior cleaning rack at supermarket lately, it is quick drying and not leaving sticky or oily residue, so far it works well. the brand is Smart Leather by Smart Wax... sounds a bit like tv media brand but so far it looks like a good conditioner.

Thuggee

Practically Family
Thanks, Did it affect the colour after the Vaseline?

The peacoat is black and is still black, I would imagine a light coloured leather may darken??? Maybe spot test it somewhere not noticeable 1st, the leather on my jacket after washing and a vaseline treatment is crazy soft and I imagine very waterproof now, I did notice it was slightly tacky initially but this disappeared after a few days, I rubbed it all over my hands and applied it quite liberally as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot