Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

caring for natural leather

joezam713

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,

Can you provide any advice on creating patina for a natural veg-tanned jacket? I have a freewheelers sunset and a mister freedom campus jacket, both of which need conditioning and that I'd like to darken up minimally.

Thanks for your time

Trickster

New in Town
My leather is 95% practical riding gear. ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time, except maybe when it's just too blistering hot). I have picked up Fox Creek Motorcycle Classic I (1 ea) and the Fox Creek Motorcycle Classic II (3 ea).

My Go-To leather treatment for jackets and pants/chaps that might see rain is the Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative (HD LP). The beeswax compoment is tacky for a few days but softens the leather and repels water.

Obenauf's oil is wonderful stuff as well. If I have to re-apply to lesather that has become thirsty, I will go that route.

For black leather that needs to treat fading or edge wear, I will use Doc Bailey's. Generously.

Same with my Just Leather (San Jose) jackets and chaps.

My boots get the exact same treatment with a slight increase of HD LP given that the boots seem to endure more inclement weather in the winter months.

Hope that this helps.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I might be wrong, but seems like treating dedicated rugged and most likely heavily pigmented practical riding gear and rather delicate unfinished/natural veg tan leather in the same way might not be the best idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner