Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carol -- a New Film Set in the early 50s

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've just finished the novel on which the film is based, The Price of Salt, by Patricia Highsmith. The author used a pseudonym when the book was published in 1952, as the book's storyline was controversial. Highsmith had already been labeled, to her dismay, a "mystery" writer (she is also author of Strangers on a Train and The Talented Mr. Ripley, among many others), and didn't care to be pigeonholed further as an author of "lesbian" books.
It looks like the movie will be filled with great costumes, sets, etc., and is being praised by critics. Cate Blanchett is said to be a sure thing come Oscar night for her portrayal of the title character.
It is the story of a young woman who by chance meets a beautiful older woman and is thunderstruck by her own instant attraction. The relationship between Carol and Therese has implications for everyone around them. It is a love story, and Highsmith is an excellent author and storyteller.
The tale is set in New York, mainly, though the whole thing was shot on location in Cincinnati. It has been slow to roll out and I doubt I'll get to see it until January in my cornfield. I'm very much looking forward to it. The book is good, and is generally regarded as a turning point as stories of homosexuality always had to end badly with suicide, ruin, madness, etc. The Price of Salt broke that barrier.
Directed by Todd Haynes and starring Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara.
(Also? 1949 Packard)

cate-blanchett-carol-02-600x350.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I am definitely looking forward to seeing this. The reviews have been splendid and it looks totally gorgeous. And Cate is always brilliant.

But I have to say, despite his obvious skill, I don't always love Todd Haynes' films. While I totally adore Far From Heaven, I didn't enjoy his Mildred Pierce miniseries. His other works - [safe], I'm Not There, etc. - are interesting, if not always successful.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="scotrace] It is a love story, and Highsmith is an excellent author and storyteller.[/QUOTE]

Never read Highsmith but intrigued.

[QUOTE="scotrace] It is a love story, and Highsmith is an excellent author and storyteller.

Never read Highsmith but intrigued.[/QUOTE]

I think you'd enjoy them as I've read several of her novels - and, coincidentally, just picked up a copy of "The Two Faces of January - and have enjoyed all of them so far. Will probably now grab a copy of "Carol" as I want to read it before seeing the movie.

Jim Green

New in Town
I will wait until Netflix. But I look forward to another period piece.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've just finished the novel on which the film is based, The Price of Salt, by Patricia Highsmith. The author used a pseudonym when the book was published in 1952, as the book's storyline was controversial. Highsmith had already been labeled, to her dismay, a "mystery" writer (she is also author of Strangers on a Train and The Talented Mr. Ripley, among many others), and didn't care to be pigeonholed further as an author of "lesbian" books.
It looks like the movie will be filled with great costumes, sets, etc., and is being praised by critics. Cate Blanchett is said to be a sure thing come Oscar night for her portrayal of the title character.
It is the story of a young woman who by chance meets a beautiful older woman and is thunderstruck by her own instant attraction. The relationship between Carol and Therese has implications for everyone around them. It is a love story, and Highsmith is an excellent author and storyteller.
The tale is set in New York, mainly, though the whole thing was shot on location in Cincinnati. It has been slow to roll out and I doubt I'll get to see it until January in my cornfield. I'm very much looking forward to it. The book is good, and is generally regarded as a turning point as stories of homosexuality always had to end badly with suicide, ruin, madness, etc. The Price of Salt broke that barrier.
Directed by Todd Haynes and starring Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara.
(Also? 1949 Packard)

cate-blanchett-carol-02-600x350.jpg

If anyone deserves an Oscar, it's Mara. Her performance was amazing. I really enjoyed this movie.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Carol is being sneak previewed here in Chicago but I have resisted rushing until I've read The Price of Salt and Highsmith will not arrive at my UPS box until 12/29-30.:(

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Saw it today, at the only theatre in Ohio where it's being shown. A one and a half hour drive in a downpour and well worth it. Very well directed and excellent performances. Every shot was wonderful.

It would be hard to recommend this movie highly enough. Even guys who resist "chick flicks" will find plenty of hats, overcoats, shoes and cars to keep interest. And they did something I liked: hats are not babied. You see the men in lids in every kind of thrown on condition.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In all seriousness, we've done very well with this picture -- it's aimed straight at an important part of our local demographic, and people have been coming out in good numbers over the two weeks its been here. As Scott notes, it's a very well made film.

But I've noted also that our audience, at least, has kind of a hard time taking Ms. Blanchett all that seriously in the title role -- her vocal mannerisms are so highly mannered that they actually generate unintended laughs from the audience. Ratchet down the "sultry purr," Cate, and people will like you more.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Saw it today, at the only theatre in Ohio where it's being shown. A one and a half hour drive in a downpour and well worth it. Very well directed and excellent performances. Every shot was wonderful.

It would be hard to recommend this movie highly enough. Even guys who resist "chick flicks" will find plenty of hats, overcoats, shoes and cars to keep interest. And they did something I liked: hats are not babied. You see the men in lids in every kind of thrown on condition.

Based upon your review, I will find a way to watch this movie with Daniel. The over all topic/theme of the movie, however, is on what we would consider "fringe" in some ways best not made mention.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It has certainly been shut out of awards. I don't get why it was passed over by the Oscars for Best Director.

At the opposite end of the scale, I saw The Revenant. It was a great movie, but a little long. About froze to death just watching all that crawling in snow.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
It has certainly been shut out of awards. I don't get why it was passed over by the Oscars for Best Director.

Having now read The Price of Salt and Andrew Wilson's fine biography of Patricia Highsmith, I will look around for a theatre here in Chicago or order the CD.
Highsmith's literary debut, Strangers on a Train was filmed by Hitchcock-another must see film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider