Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Castle

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Does anyone here like the TV series Castle? It is about a mystery writer who kills off his main character, Derrick Storm, that has made him a house hold name and a lot of money. He is at first being investigated by a female homicide detective, Kate Beckett, because there has been a murder where the body was staged just like a scene from one of his books. He is cleared but assists the detective hunt down the killer when more people show up dead and posed from other death scenes in his books. They finally find the real killer and you think this is the end of the writer and the homicide detective's relationship. Richard Castle, the writer, is trying to find his next big series and decides that he will write one about a NY City female homicide detective solving cases. He then talks with the Mayor, who he has on speed dial, and gets permission to follow Detective Beckett around to her very dislike. She is a fan of his from his Derrick Storm books but will never let him know, he finds out anyway, and she thinks he acts to much like a 12 year old. He has 2 reasons for following her around like a sick puppy. One is to get research for his new series and two, he has the hots for her. The show shows them working together and solving crimes. He has all these connections that helps out due to other research he has done for other books and he writes the books by the end of the season. These books are then sold at national bookstore chains as if he really wrote them. It has Natan Fillion's pic on the back of the books with him in the character of Richard Castle. The show continues to follow the two and watch them get close to consimating a relationship only to have a wrench thrown in to keep them a part. I really love this show. It is a modern noir and the main character has a love for the past. He even bought a bar that he wrote his first book in and his mother told him he ought to call it Rick's Cafe Americain and he even thought about calling it Castleblanca as a play on his name and because he loved the movie Casablanca. He eventually kept the same name that the bar already had because of the nastalgia of the bar and the writers that have come out of this bar throughout the past. The show also has him playing cards with other mystery writers such as James Patterson and Stephen Cannell. Cannell just passed away and on the show they leave an empty chair at the poker table for a year before they can invite a new player to officially join them in memory of Cannell. Cannell was one of the writers of the show from what I understand. It is a great dramedy.

=GG=

My wife and I also enjoyed the show, despite some of the implausability, but that's normal for TV anyway.
Unfortunately, it's on a little late for us, so it was hard to stay up for the finish. Next season we'll record it.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
My wife still wants to kill me over this show. She told me she did not want to get hooked on any more shows and then decided to watch an episode with me and fell in love with it. I would love to see them do a dream episode where they are back in the 30s or 40s doing something like the Maltese Falcon or The Big Sleep. Castle could be dressed like Bogie and Beckett could do Bacall. What would really be nice is if somone would do a noir tv show now that is set back in the 30s with all the proper vehicles and clothing styles. Bad thing is that Hollywierd would surely screw it up. They would probably get someone like Pee Wee Herman to play Sam Spade.

=GG=

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I love it. It's also very special to my husband, because when his father died last year he took season 1 on DVD to his mum's house, and it pretty much saved her when she was utterly bewildered and bereft.

Looking forward to the next season!

I've read the first two Nicky Heat tie-in books too. They are very well done! I assume the ghost writer is one of the writers on the series, because they capture the "Castleness" beautifully. In the acknowledgments "Rick" thanks Martha, Alexis, Kate, Nathan & Stana - it's this wonderful mix of fact and fiction.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
The new Season 4 cast photo.
Castle-Season-4-40.jpg

I just love the throwback to film noir. I wish they would do an episode with them doing a dream sequence where they are back in the 30s solving a murder.

=GG=

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Its cute but I gave up on season 4. The show started taking itself way too seriously. I think the relationship between Becket and Castle should not get romantic. I like how complex and interesting they write their platonic love relationship. Its just too easy to make it all about, "I love you but I cant tell you," blah blah blah. There are not enough relationships on TV like that with mixed company.

I thought it was strange at the start of season 4, you find out Becket is 31. I was like, really? I don't know of any seasoned detectives who are that young.

LD

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana