Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cattlemans crease

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I didn't want to hijack another thread, so-
who here wears their hats with a cattleman's crease?

I have it in my resistol san antonio, and my stingy brim cavanagh

Duck

Practically Family
I just do not like the way they look on me. I have worn my cowboy hats with the Montana (Gus) crease for years and years and years. That could be why I think the cattleman's crease just doesn't look right on me, but look great on others.

majormoore

Vendor
I wear a cattlemans crease hat, 4 5/8 open crown when hat was blocked and a 4" brim, and some with a 4 1/4" brim.

Mike

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cattleman's crease

I prefer the "Harry Truman" look, which is the pinch front. I believe LBJ wore the true crease you speak of. I think it requires a taller person, IMHO.

Bart

Familiar Face
This is the best for me. It's the brim that I keep changing, trying to figure which I like better. Any rules of thumb or just personal preference?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman, I suspect it's easier to do when you live in the West.

I sure wear my OR-style hats with the cattleman crown.
I usually, but not always, snap the brim down, fedora-style though.

I did have one cattleman I didn't like- a narrow, less generous
block used on a 60s Cavanagh 100. I had Art reblock it open
and I put in my own fedora-style crown. But if it looks classic
to me, I leave it.

Bart

Familiar Face
Cattleman Crease or Outback?

Anyone wear an Outback or bash an existing hat in an Outback style? It's an interesting change of pace. Maybe some of our Downunder friends could join the conversation.

dr greg

One Too Many
context

I have a Cattleman which I wear when dropping into the rural supply store for bales of hay etc, or attending the cattle sales, or just out and about in my truck. I would never own or wear anything in the style of the Pastoralist though, that is worn by greedy stock agents, weekend farmers, arrogant graziers and their equestrian wives, and just plain posers like politicians on lightning visits to the 'bush'. no dinkum bloke would be seen in one.
The fedoras I wear everywhere else. I do not own a classic cowboy hat, as it just ain't my culture (did have a Jim Bailey once tho), but they are de rigeur for those who play and follow our anaemic version of country music over here which owes a lot more to Nashville schlock than Dale Watson frinstance.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is one of a few I have that looks good with a cattlemans crease.
DSCN3528.jpg

A bit softer
DSCN3525.jpg

I'm agreeing with Feltfan, epic610 and Bart. All of my ORs (2 felts + 1 straw) and my felt Resistol San Antonio have an Alpine/Cattleman bash - with the front brim snapped down. I have a wool felt Resistol that I re-bashed from a pinch to an Alpine crown, cut down the brim from 3 1/2" to 2 3/4" and steamed on my brim ring, hoping to snap the brim down. I guess wool isn't as easy to work with as fur felt. Just didn't have the same look even though it was the same dimensions as the ORs. I reshaped the brim back cowboy style and use it as a beater around the farm in Virginia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana