Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CDs having these two songs?

Naphtali

Practically Family
While Howlin' Wolf's (spelling??) rendition of "Evil's Goin' On" is considered to be definitive, I prefer Koko Taylor's rendition. After a bazillion interlibrary loans of Koko Taylor CDs, I still have not identified a CD having the song. Anyone who has it, please furnish me with name and identification of THAT CD.

I am having the same difficulty finding the rendition of "Friendship" with Jack Benny and ???. I believe the song occurred in some sort of variety show motion picture in the 1930s, but that's all I think I know. I still have not identified a CD having the song. Anyone who has it, please furnish me with name and identification of THAT CD.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Jack Benny-Fred Allen performance of "Friendship" comes from the Christmas 1942 broadcast of the Armed Forces Radio Service "Command Performance" variety series. There are no legal CD releases of this program -- all rights belong to the U. S. Government -- but there are bootlegs floating around in Old Time Radio circles.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Many thanks. Rather than be a piker, I bought "Queen of the Blues." "Evil" is as good as I remember, plus there are three other songs I enjoy as much. I first heard snatches during the motion picture, "Mercury Rising" and heard longer snatch during "Adventures in Babysitting." The entire song is better!

"Friendship" remains a question mark. I became hooked on it as a boy - not the Benny-Allen version, though. I used to watch the ABC television program, "The American Sportsman," religiously when it was primarily hunting and fly fishing with Joe Brooks - that is, before "beautiful people" infestation. The episode that hooked me was Bing Crosby and Phil Harris bird hunting. They were having a grand time and playfully sang a corrupted version of "Friendship." Wonderful entertainment for a youngster.

I searched for radio broadcasts, hoping to identify an mp3 or other audio file. What my search found were catalogs of broadcasts and recordings that confirm the December 24, 1942, recording as having what I seek. But locating an actual file? . . . Nope.

majormajor

One Too Many
The "Queen Of The Blues" album was quite late in Koko Taylor's career. From memory, I think it was 1985.

Here she is in her heyday - singing "Wang Dang Doodle", with Little Walter on harp, in 1967 :D

[video=youtube;oxCa16-nxtM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxCa16-nxtM[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80