Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Champagne Glasses

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I've been trying to find, but with little success, a set of the shallow, wide type of champagne glass, as apposed to a flute.

3777_wm.jpg

The one pictured above is pretty much what I'd like, but since I don't need three dozen, I can't order it from there!

Apparently they're also called sour glasses, but most of the sour glasses I've been able to find are thicker, heavier glass or taller whiskey sour glasses.

Glass is preferable, but Lexan wouldn't be a bad second choice. Anyone know of a place to find them?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That glass is a Libbey Empire Champagne glass....and I know there were posts with other Loungers looking for "Thin Man" type cocktail glasses which these would be pretty close if not exactly what the doctor ordered - rounded Martini/cocktail glasses instead of the more normal "V" shape. You might be able to find enough interest here on the lounge for those who might be interested in buying 4 or 6 glasses instead of the 3 dozen minimum order most vendors require - split up the order (and associated costs) between others looking for the same thing.

You might also check at Smart & Final or a restaurant supply locally to see if they have them or similar in stock or if they'd order & sell by the glass.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Im curious as to why you want them. A friend once explained to me that that style of champagne glass (so prevalent in old movies) was made popular by the British. It was the upper class Brits in the late 19th century who really popularized Champagne. But they preferred it FLAT (ewww!), so they used the wide topped glass to dissipate the bubbles faster. I believe the French never went in for this deviation. This also demonstrates how Americans slavishly imitated the Brits in manners and tastes.
I've always wondered if the Brits did this because they weren't always able to chill the wine, and thought that warm Champagne was better flat than bubbly. Just a speculation. In Winston Churchill's book "My Early Life", he describes an incident in the campaign in the Sudan, in 1897, where one British officer on a Nile gunboat, tosses a couple of bottles of Champagne to his buddy on the shore. Simply barbaric to have to fight those bloody heathens in all that heat, without a good supply of Champagne!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I got my set of five at a garage sale quite by accident. For the "Thin Man" connection. They make a swell martini glass - just a small drink before dinner.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Im curious as to why you want them. A friend once explained to me that that style of champagne glass (so prevalent in old movies) was made popular by the British. It was the upper class Brits in the late 19th century who really popularized Champagne. But they preferred it FLAT (ewww!), so they used the wide topped glass to dissipate the bubbles faster.

Who lets their champagne sit in their glass long enough to go flat - flute or saucer shaped? It still takes a while for the bubbles to dissapate from the saucer-shaped glasses. You usually drink it much faster than it can go flat, so I say go ahead and use the shallow glasses. *hick* lol

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Josephine, those are exactly what I was looking. I like the wide glasses just for the references, of coure, but alos for ease of drinking. Flutes have alwasy bother me because you have to tip them so far to drink from them. There's just nothing dignified about having to tip a glass that high! I suppose one could argue for never letting the glass get more than half empty, though.

My problem may be solved; I just got a very generous offer from a fellow Lounger, who has found a local supply. If her supply is still available, I may have just what I was looking for!

If someone has beaten her to the supply, however, Josephine, where did you fine those?

Josephine

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
If someone has beaten her to the supply, however, Josephine, where did you fine those?

Here you go. :)

http://www.newyorkfirst.com/gifts/m019.html.

Champagne flowed freely at the Stork Club. Anybody who was anybody had bottle of the house Champagne sent to their table, immediately upon arrival -- compliments of Sherman Billingsley. And, to accompany the ice-cold bubbly, festive, oversize Champagne Coupes. When you hold them, you feel fabulous.

Stork Club Champagne Coupe. Price: $24. (set of two) Price: $44. (set of four)

storkclub.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Josephine said:
Are these to streamlined?

champagne_coupe_21.jpg

Those are so lovely!

I saw a really nice line of saucer shaped champagne glasses at Crate and Barrel (of all places) but it looks like they've been discontinued, alas.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have you tried the thrift stores?

I see tons of these all the time at the Goodwill, St. Vincent de Paul, etc.
No one buys them!
I prefer them to flutes too, flutes are annoying to drink from, the rim hits you in the nose.
I also like the shallow ones like this but with the hollow stem, the best of both worlds.

And I doubt that the French always used flutes - supposedly the champagne saucer was modeled after the breast of Marie Antoinette - and somehow I doubt she had flute-shaped ones. I hope not!

Probably not true but one of those stories that is so good, it ought to be true.

Josephine

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Nice, thanks!

How 'bout that ashtray from the Stork Club?! That'd be neat to have on my coffee table, but $200! Yipe! The champagne glasses are much more affordable.

You're welcome. :) I have a friend who has the ash tray, plus a pair of dice in it, and also a stork that holds matches.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
And I doubt that the French always used flutes - supposedly the champagne saucer was modeled after the breast of Marie Antoinette - and somehow I doubt she had flute-shaped ones. I hope not!

Probably not true but one of those stories that is so good, it ought to be true.
lol lol lol

Yes, flutes may be great for maintaining the carbonation, but lousy for drinking. I'll have to agree with just not letting your champagne sit long enough to go flat!

On another note, my very generous benefactor has informed me that a set of 10 of this style glass are enroute to me as I type. Thanks very much!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I received the glasses from my benefactor last week. I tried them out Thursday night by drinking an entire bottle by myself. :eusa_doh: Well, once you open it, you gotta finish it, right?! No problem at all with the champagne going flat, incidentally. I didn't let it sit that long.... ;)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
But they preferred it FLAT (ewww!), so they used the wide topped glass to dissipate the bubbles faster.

I was just going to post this, I have tried this and the flute and unless you toss it down, the bubbles will be gone fast. I will allways choose the flute, since the opening is so small, you can enjoy your champagne with bubbles for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy