Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing one's look.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I too went thru the black thing, then the t-shirt thing, but always with an appreciation for a great 50's dress from the local thrift store. I think it was all those years of limited college funds. Hair was dyed every color under the sun but mainly black for years. At one point in my workplace career (I'm a designer) I was told that I should watch my look when presenting to clients. I always thought it was a selling point (the quircky weird girl "looks" creative). But it made me take a long hard look at myself. I've tried to polish up my look a bit more. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't wear something with a previous life.

I think the updating with a few key pieces in colors that you like will get the ball rolling. I backed off my black hair and went for a chocolate brown to soften up a bit (still feels as edgey as I like). Good luck!

dashiell

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
Wear a scarf in your hair and red lipstick a la Rosie the Riveter.

Where are my brownies? ;)

I shall bake them immediately! Though, i never did say I'd *give* them to you.... If you'd like, I'll send you a gift certificate for real brownies, as well!

I don't suppose anyone manufactures makeup for people who ... shall we say "glow like floodlights"? I've never worn makeup for that reason. Still, looking to manufactory workers is a good idea!

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
The 'Goth' Thing

Yes, I think a few of us go thru the 'Goth' phase - mine lasted 20 years!!!!!
I probably still would be all of the time now but job does not permit (I work as a community nurse for Elderly people) so I had to find another way...:D I prefer how I look now than I have ever done.

I was inspired by Dita Von Teese and other burlesque girls I saw in London at the Erotica event in Nov last year. I had a period of looking dowdy and not being happy with how I looked - then went to London and the rest is history!

I would define my look now more as 50's/rockabilly now. Have managed to find stuff that I can mix with the black and make it look good.

I can still however, go goth if I still wanted to go clubbing!:eek:

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Ha, if you find that out, let me know too, I'm not a handygal, but an electrcian, so I glow all day long. The job that I do know, I just wear eyeshadow, liner and Jane mascarra. The Jane does a really great job of not running or smearing and its not even waterproof.
I think its a lil bit at a time thing, getting used to dressing more girly/vintage on our off hours. I started with my hair and moved to clothes from there. The smallest of changes help with making more. [huh]

dashiell said:
I don't suppose anyone manufactures makeup for people who ... shall we say "glow like floodlights"? I've never worn makeup for that reason. Still, looking to manufactory workers is a good idea!

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
In high school I went through a huge tomboy phase. Various factors made me feel very insecure about being a girl. Here's me on the left when I was about 14.
19032_476105265401_585820401_11120994_4215324_n.jpg

Then I went through a "corporate" phase, very strange. I guess I was trying hard to be adult and assert myself in a circle of friends that was... less than successful. Wow, I look so chipper lol
n597260011_2572910_2589.jpg

Overlapping that, I suppose because I spent so much time having my fashion stifled by parents and certain jobs, and because I hadn't really been financially independent until then, I bought the most outrageous things, super gothic clothing that really only belongs in a club. I must have looked somewhat crazy! And yet thinking about it brings such a comforting nostalgia! Here's an old look, before the bar got so high. Nobody now can believe this was ever considered "good enough."
n514012995_294834_6331.jpg

Then I spent almost 3 years working from home. My wardrobe from then on consisted of pretty much nothing but the above mentioned uber-goth clothes, some old ill-fitting office separates, and TONS of pajamas. I never felt very put together on a regular basis, and when I went out I went from having fun with clothes to finding it an uncomfortable chore. The whole thing just got too ridiculous. Not to mention old news. I was BORED.
I had always loved 30s-50s style, so that's when I chose to make it a staple of my wardrobe, and made the switch to all dresses. Glamorous, but easy, and always appropriate! It's an absolute breath of fresh air. And suddenly I look a LOT happier too!
60232_10150261058495012_597260011_14772361_4775023_n.jpg

In two weeks I plan on buying my first pink dress! :O

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy