Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap Linen Suit - London

billyspew

One Too Many
Just got back from Jermyn Street, happened to be delivering one of my suits to Roderick Charles for some running repairs and they are currently having a sale on their linen suits. The jackets are 99.99GBP (think RRP is 375) and the trousers are 39.99GBP (normally 120), the trousers have unfinished hems and cost 10GBP to finish in store. So for 150GBP you get a great linen suit.
The fit is great for me (normally find the waist slightly large and shoulders too narrow), and choice of colour is good (beige, brown, two shade of green and 2 shades of blue). The Online Store only has two of the colours and the suits are still 200GBP.
Will post pictures oce I pick up the trousers.

Bill

Lokar

A-List Customer
I'm going to London in 8 days! Was planning on popping to Jermyn Street. How much do they have in stock, would you say? I hope I don't miss out on this!

Lokar

A-List Customer
Excellent, I usually wear a 42R or 42L. Thanks!

I plan to have a good look around all the stores before I buy anything, but that will probably fall apart at the first store..

Edward

Bartender
Thanks for the tip; I'll drop in there at the weekend. (Assume they open Saturday?) I was planning on heading Up West Saturday anyhow, as following a sabbatical of some ten years, I have developed a ridiculous notion for firing up the pipe again (most likely some form of midlife crisis).

billyspew

One Too Many
Edward said:
Thanks for the tip; I'll drop in there at the weekend. (Assume they open Saturday?) I was planning on heading Up West Saturday anyhow, as following a sabbatical of some ten years, I have developed a ridiculous notion for firing up the pipe again (most likely some form of midlife crisis).

Me too, I am particularly enjoying Squadron Leader at the moment.

Dan D

Familiar Face
Bargain linen suit from Racing Green.

I purchased two last year in the off-season sale from Racing Green, ordering on-line after having tried them on in the store; they are a good fit and a snip at the knock-down prices. I'm hoping they repeat the offer towards the summer again this year; although my bank account is hoping they don't...!

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Dan D said:
I purchased two last year in the off-season sale from Racing Green, ordering on-line after having tried them on in the store; they are a good fit and a snip at the knock-down prices. I'm hoping they repeat the offer towards the summer again this year; although my bank account is hoping they don't...!
They're available now at Racing Green on-line for 100GBP:
Jacket here,
Trousers here.​

Dan D, Would you care to comment further on the quality and fit of your set from last year? The trousers look rather low-rise in the photos, but they're available in Longs, so that might be the best solution.

billyspew

One Too Many
They look good... may have to but one of those as well...

The trousers on the Roderick Charles suit have side adjusters, internal brace buttons and no belt loops (my preference).

Dan, do the trousers also have slightly flared bottoms?
40033560113_C_p.jpg

Dan D

Familiar Face
Feedback

Billy Spew: the trousers aren't flared at the bottom, that may be a trick of perspective in the photo you've posted: I haven't worn flares since, oh, 1978 maybe ??!!

WofmanJack: the quality is certainly better than I've found in the average high street retailer, the jacket fits well and buttons comfortably, the linen fabric has a lovely feel to hand, doesn't crinkle excessively and creases drop out after hanging for a day or a quick blast with the steamer. Admittedly, the trousers sit on the hips rather than the waist, but are fine with braces. Comfortable to wear in the summer months. Will try to post a picture.

Curse you for pointing out they're on sale now - my credit card has begun to perspire...!;)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Miss 1929 has commented that she can picture me, sipping Champagne cocktails, talking on my white telephone, "dishing the dirt" (whatever that means?) whilst wearing a white linen suit, I replied "I would never wear a white linen suit," imagine my delight when an FL chum sent me a lovely Linen suit (In a sandy/tan colour) I adore it!, and the colour suits ones colouring!!!, its going to be a major player in my Summer wardrobe"

3877937142_1098b41bfb_m.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I dropped into Roderick Charles on Saturday afternoon, and am now just shy of GBP200 the lighter for it. I chose to pick up two pairs of trousers with my jacket, and am having both taken up with a 1 1/2" cuff. It was extremely pleasing to find a pair of off the rack trousers with a reasonably high waist, no belt loops and button braces. The salesman was helpful withoutg being pushy, which was nice. You do need to be clear which you are after, as they initially sttere me towards thed two-piece sets at the front of the shop, which are on sale at £199 for jacket and trousers. I didn't really give these a proper look as I wante two pairs of trews.... also, I find that when buying off the rack if I can buy 'matching separates' as it were I tend to be able to get a better fit. Their sales guy measured me up as a 44 (which I often am, in vintage - combination of a not-so-vintage waistline and fairly broader shoulder shape!), but the 42R is a wonderful fit on me. The trousers are just a touch narrower in the leg than would be my ideal preference, but certainly not a 'skinny mod' fit. They are comparable to on my Wested Indy trews, with a slight taper to the legs.

Colours are now limited. I was initially looking at the navy, finances limiting me to one choice rather than being able to buy several. The trousers were no longer available in my size in navy, however, so I elected for the black. I am looking forward to having this as an option for occasions such as graduation ceremonies where a dark suit is required but in Summer a lighter, more breathable fabric is desirable. FWIW, according to the salesman, the linen is sourced from Ireland. It certainly has a much nicer heft to it than some of the other alternatives.

Now I think about it, I am somewhat tempted to pick up a couple more pairs of trousers in a light colour for wearing with a navy blazer....

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Wolfmanjack said:
They're available now at Racing Green on-line for 100GBP:
Jacket here,
Trousers here.​

Dan D, Would you care to comment further on the quality and fit of your set from last year? The trousers look rather low-rise in the photos, but they're available in Longs, so that might be the best solution.

I bought a second hand Racing Green linen suit and got a couple of years out of it. Greta fit and cut. Very comfortable in an Italian style linen. Are they half canvassed?

I thought the Roderick Charles suits would be Irish linen at that price.

Edward I see your reference to size. I am usually 44S but am 46S at the moment. Are you saying that they are a generous cut across the chest?

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
I dropped into Roderick Charles on Saturday afternoon, and am now just shy of GBP200 the lighter for it. I chose to pick up two pairs of trousers with my jacket, and am having both taken up with a 1 1/2" cuff. It was extremely pleasing to find a pair of off the rack trousers with a reasonably high waist, no belt loops and button braces. The salesman was helpful withoutg being pushy, which was nice. You do need to be clear which you are after, as they initially sttere me towards thed two-piece sets at the front of the shop, which are on sale at £199 for jacket and trousers. I didn't really give these a proper look as I wante two pairs of trews.... also, I find that when buying off the rack if I can buy 'matching separates' as it were I tend to be able to get a better fit. Their sales guy measured me up as a 44 (which I often am, in vintage - combination of a not-so-vintage waistline and fairly broader shoulder shape!), but the 42R is a wonderful fit on me. The trousers are just a touch narrower in the leg than would be my ideal preference, but certainly not a 'skinny mod' fit. They are comparable to on my Wested Indy trews, with a slight taper to the legs.

Colours are now limited. I was initially looking at the navy, finances limiting me to one choice rather than being able to buy several. The trousers were no longer available in my size in navy, however, so I elected for the black. I am looking forward to having this as an option for occasions such as graduation ceremonies where a dark suit is required but in Summer a lighter, more breathable fabric is desirable. FWIW, according to the salesman, the linen is sourced from Ireland. It certainly has a much nicer heft to it than some of the other alternatives.

Now I think about it, I am somewhat tempted to pick up a couple more pairs of trousers in a light colour for wearing with a navy blazer....

Did they have much in stock in a lighter colour, around a 38R? I will be in the area early next week but suspect I am a little late for Roderick Charles' annual sale. I have picked up some gems in the past.

billyspew

One Too Many
Edward said:

Glad to see someone else got a good deal out of this!

Max - I can update you tomorrow as I have to pick up the trousers tomorrow.

Edward

Bartender
cookie said:
I bought a second hand Racing Green linen suit and got a couple of years out of it. Greta fit and cut. Very comfortable in an Italian style linen. Are they half canvassed?

I thought the Roderick Charles suits would be Irish linen at that price.

Edward I see your reference to size. I am usually 44S but am 46S at the moment. Are you saying that they are a generous cut across the chest?

Well, they're neater than the average 42R from the high street, but not too tight. I felt a nice combination of giving me enough room on the shoulders (44" inside pit to pit, as on much vintage, can be way too tight for me, depending upon cut) while not being baggy elsewhere. I'd try both to be sure.

Max Flash said:
Did they have much in stock in a lighter colour, around a 38R? I will be in the area early next week but suspect I am a little late for Roderick Charles' annual sale. I have picked up some gems in the past.

No idea about the sizes, but they did have a fair few lighter colours, both in that suit and in the £199 for jacket and trousers suits at the front of the shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points