Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Check out these very kool Liners.....

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wanted you all to see the new Liners for the new "Alley Kat Hat Co., collection. Tim will be using these on his custom lids from now on. These are sample liners from the vendor, but as soon as he puts his order in, they'll be shipped A.S.A.P. and they will all have these very Kool liners in them. These photos were taken on Tim's phone and they don't do justice.....trust me, in hand, they look fantastic, if I do say so myself. For more information on these liners, be sure to check the "Alley Kat Hat Co." thread. Thanks for looking.
PS. There is also an all white one with the sunburst lettering, he forgot to take a photo of that one.....so there's (5) in all.

#1.
dbruk4.jpg

#2.
9au2w0.jpg

#3.
14112fr.jpg

#4.
xm1x1z.jpg

Last edited:

Steph

Familiar Face
40 views and not 1 single comment or reply......really? What's up with that?
Okay, I'll bite.

It's a trite and relatively unoriginal rendition of a Cat in a Hat, taking elements from the cat wall clocks with swinging eyes and tails, from steampunk , and from Indiana Jones, likely drawn by a quite-talented fifth-grader who will (rightfully) abandon drawing altogether as he gets older.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Okay, I'll bite.

It's a trite and relatively unoriginal rendition of a Cat in a Hat, taking elements from the cat wall clocks with swinging eyes and tails, from steampunk , and from Indiana Jones, likely drawn by a quite-talented fifth-grader who will (rightfully) abandon drawing altogether as he gets older.
not quite the way to make friends around here Steph

I think most around here like to practice the ... if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything ... method

Tim and Bolt are highly respected around here and your response was in my opinion disrespectful and uncalled for

with all due respect ... take a hike

I think most around here like to practice the ... if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything ... method

Tim and Bolt are highly respected around here and your response was in my opinion disrespectful and uncalled for

LOL.

I think they look fine. But they look nothing like I picture Tim!

I think the liners look fine. It's an attempt to stand out a bit and though I favor beautiful liners, I see nothing wrong with these, maybe not what I would've imagined but we've seen newer hatters using plain white liners and selling hats. Because, let's face it, it's the damn hat that counts and Tim is getting that down from all that I've seen and what his customers are saying.

As to Steph's remarks, harsh and overly critical but as a new member maybe he hasn't realized that most around here are polite and most criticisms are constructive and not destructive. Maybe he deserves a pass besides, we police our own around here pretty well.

Okay, I'll bite.

Mr. Steph,
I always liked a critique in Art College. We grow and get better through positive spins on negatives. So although you think my friend Kurt did not do a good job for me on an art project; there are sure good ways to get a message across. I asked Kurt to capture a old cartoonist feel. The vendor loved the project which he critiqued and we made changes. Look, I am trying to be different in branding. Why not offer a honest critique on how his friend Tim the Alley Kat might have a better product rather than a swift kick in the stones to Kurt on his work.
Welcome to the Lounge. I don't hold a grudge on your remark.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks moon, much appreciated.....way more polite than I would've been though. They're not work it.

Steph

Familiar Face

Actually, it *was* called for. Explicitly.

But I certainly meant no harm. It's just my empty ramblings on a logo, not worth the electrons used to display it.

My apologies if anyone took offense.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Actually, it *was* called for. Explicitly.

But I certainly meant no harm. It's just my empty ramblings on a logo, not worth the electrons used to display it.

My apologies if anyone took offense.
"It's a trite and relatively unoriginal rendition of a Cat in a Hat..."

"likely drawn by a quite-talented fifth-grader who will (rightfully) abandon drawing altogether as he gets older"

those meant no harm ?

...what would you say if meant to insult the artist then ?
you don't leave much meat on the bone for slander

I look forward to seeing some of your work or maybe a pic of you so that maybe I could be childish rip it to shreds

Steph

Familiar Face
Mr. Steph,
I always liked a critique in Art College. We grow and get better through positive spins on negatives. So although you think my friend Kurt did not do a good job for me on an art project; there are sure good ways to get a message across. I asked Kurt to capture a old cartoonist feel. The vendor loved the project which he critiqued and we made changes. Look, I am trying to be different in branding. Why not offer a honest critique on how his friend Tim the Alley Kat might have a better product rather than a swift kick in the stones to Kurt on his work.
Welcome to the Lounge. I don't hold a grudge on your remark.

Hey CRM,

Again, my apologies if I offended you. That was not my intent. My apologies to Kurt as well.

I didn't say he didn't do a good job, and if you guys are happy with it, then that's all that matters. You'll be very happy working with a logo you like vs. one you dislike. I just noted my thoughts on it, but that's meaningless. A groupthink logo would be horrible. Hell, it seems RJR is happy with its new logo (http://www.rjrt.com/) and that probably cost it hundreds of thousands of dollars. Or more. Now THAT is a terrible logo.

All that matters is that you guys are happy with it.

My apologies again.

emigran

Practically Family
To answer the OP... they're ok but not my taste... reminds me of a young client who came in to me for acupuncturem all dressed up with natty shirt and tie. Upon removing those he revealed an old black, torn-sleeved t-shirt with the "Ghostbusters" logo emblazoned on the front. Like a custom hat liner, no one ever really sees it... BUT...

Steph

Familiar Face
"It's a trite and relatively unoriginal rendition of a Cat in a Hat..."

"likely drawn by a quite-talented fifth-grader who will (rightfully) abandon drawing altogether as he gets older"

those meant no harm ?

...what would you say if meant to insult the artist then ?
you don't leave much meat on the bone for slander

I look forward to seeing some of your work or maybe a pic of you so that maybe I could be childish rip it to shreds

If I meant to insult the artist, I would have said it was incompetent, or stupid, or idiocy, or any one of nearly infinite insults.

What do you think it looks like? Caravaggio, van Eyck? Lochner, maybe? Or do you think it looks, as CRM said he intended, cartoonish? If you can see that it does, then you can see that a critique may call it "trite". As far as the colourful comment on the style, CRM mentioned that he intended that as well. Since it is deliberately drawn that way, it is not far off of the mark to note that it is. RJR could have created their new logo in that style and it would have looked the same. I'm betting you can easily see the elements I mentioned.

Post whatever you wish about anything you wish, including me. I would never presume to suggest that anyone do otherwise.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
If I meant to insult the artist, I would have said it was incompetent, or stupid, or idiocy, or any one of nearly infinite insults.

What do you think it looks like? Caravaggio, van Eyck? Lochner, maybe? Or do you think it looks, as CRM said he intended, cartoonish? If you can see that it does, then you can see that a critique may call it "trite". As far as the colourful comment on the style, CRM mentioned that he intended that as well. Since it is deliberately drawn that way, it is not far off of the mark to note that it is. RJR could have created their new logo in that style and it would have looked the same. I'm betting you can easily see the elements I mentioned.

Post whatever you wish about anything you wish, including me. I would never presume to suggest that anyone do otherwise.

it has nothing to do with what I think it looks like and everything to do with you giving your opinion in a disrespectful childish manner

if you have nothing nice to say then why "bite" ?

I see nothing productive resulting from your childish ramblings

I'll discuss this no further with you nor will I continue to hijack your thread Kurt ... my apologies

enjoy being last word Magee if you wish Steph ...

Wesslyn

Practically Family
I dig em. While I'm typically a fan of "fancy" logos, like Dobbs' golden coach, or Stetson's coat of arms or whatever it is, or script writing, etc, this offers a different take on things. And it fits the Alley Cat name.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Well this ol Preacher Man likes em! A lot. Tim's goal is to be the best hatmaker he can be and he's constantly striving to that end. That means he will always look forward and work forward to improve his craft. He's doing that and will continue to. These liners are a window into his intent; "to be different in branding". His hats speak well to Tim's expertise in the craft of hat making being excellent examples of his ability in the craft. These liners make them stand out even more hence "different in branding". I like the liners and I wish him well! As I know most do. Keep up the great work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points