Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Checks for the Weekend

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
So, you are going out on the weekend and want to know what to wear.....

Taken from Gentleman's Guide to Grooming and Style
In the 1980s there was a series on television based on the memoirs of the English country vet known as James Herriot. It was not only worth watching for the stories, but also the costumes. each character was dressed with total authenticity, and every last detail was correct. The viewer could identify the class and profession of every character in the series at a glance. However, what united the vet with the lord and the farmer was a shirt that is just as much as part of English rural live as the Barbour jacket. In color, it is usually a creamy white, but is also available in light shades of beige. However, it's most important feature is a mesh of check of dark brown, green burgundy, blue or black stripes know as Tattersall check. It is said that this pattern is named after the horse market run by a man call Richard Tattersall where the horse blankets were decorated with exactly this type of check.

tattersall03.jpg

Today Tattersall check is more than a symbol of English rural life. For many years it has been regarded as an essential component of the classic weekend outfit, especially in fall and winter, when it is combined with a lambswool or cashmere pullover, a tweed jacket, or a blazer.

Orvis has a fantastic Tattersall check shirt that is very soft and comfortable to wear. If you are looking for one, I highly recommend this shirt.

tattersall02.jpg

Pryo.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Looks good. You can also find some at your local Nordstrom's. Good shirt when dressing down. You need some wool ties to go with the shirt.

Any idea where you can find wool ties?

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Old_Hat said:
Unfortunately, while they are listed at an attractive price, they also state "status: Not Available" for all sizes except XXL if you try to add one to your "shopping cart".

Sorry about that, Old Hat. That's the size I wear.

Pyr.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Nice shirt

Originally Posted by Pyroxene
Orvis has a fantastic Tattersall check shirt that is very soft and comfortable to wear. If you are looking for one, I highly recommend this shirt.

I ordered the xxl and got it in today. Very nice shirt and a great deal for $34.00.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto