Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chetwynd of London? Curious about this old Derby hat.

Fyve_by_Fyve

New in Town
Picked this up at an estate auction last Friday. Not sure what to make of it. Trying to get an accurate estimate of age.

The hat has a finely detailed paper label in the crown which reads "Hatter by Appointment to His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales - Chetwynd, London" in gold gilt. There is a paper "L" size tag (actually measures like a modern Small, 6-7/8 to 7) and a paper tag of the same appearance (white with a red border) which has hand written numbers. The Chetwynd logo is also finely stamped into the leather sweatband.

All of this led me to believe that it was an English manufactured hat . . . but then when I pulled back the liner I saw a paper Union stamp from the United Hatters of North America.

Can't find any information on "Chetwynd" as a milliner, Royal or otherwise . . . and can't figure out why a British hat would have a US union tag.

The hat is of quality manufacture but . . . it's kinda weird that I can't find anything on it. The logos and construction look like something that would've been fairly notable.

Thoughts?

chetwynd_bowler_4
chetwynd_bowler_1
chetwynd_bowler_6

chetwynd_bowler_7

chetwynd_bowler_9

chetwynd_bowler_3

Fyve_by_Fyve

New in Town
Cool. Let me know if you're able to find anything on it. I'd like to list the hat for sale but thought I might be able to get a better idea on the age & maker before I do. I had it on my Etsy page for a few days but pulled it pending further info. If I don't have anything further on it by next week I'll put it back up and just let the pictures speak for themselves. It is a very nice looking, well made piece.

Fyve_by_Fyve

New in Town
That's actually not a bad idea at all.

How about I offer a coupon code for anyone from this forum to use in my Etsy or Shopify store?

Just getting the shop up and running so I do need sales to go through it in order to support the business . . . but I also want to do the right thing by the good folks here.

Not sure if I should give the address here in this thread as I don't want to seem as if I'm spamming. Will check out the vendors area.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There is a directory called The Royal Warrant Holders Association. There's seven hundred and forty one pages of past and present Royal Warrant holders. I didn't search all the pages, but there is a search facility. Chetwynd didn't appear. You must remember that I'm not the most internet savvy sort of person, Chetwynd could well be there, perhaps you may have better luck.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Chetwynd of London could've been a hat store/supplier & not the manufacturer. Also the size sticker reads 7 & not L :rolleyes:........the sweatband looks to be in excellent condition.
The difficulty is going to be in finding defunct royal warrant holders.

Last edited:
The name is most likely made up by Jobbers here in America. This was common practice in the time. There other such examples if you search around here. I believe Miami Bruno poster a pre WWII Velour a few months ago that looked of Austrian origin with an American Hatters Union stamp. It's possible it was imported and finished here in America. I think it will remain a mystery. It's fantastic but unfortunately a smaller size.

Last edited:

Fyve_by_Fyve

New in Town
Interesting. That would explain the Union tag. Would the bit about being a Royal Warrant Holder make it a kind of fantasy piece then? Sort of a marketing gimmick by the company that put it out in America?

I've written the Warrant Assn. so we'll see if they respond.

Also, it may not be the place to mention this, but I've guessed at the price, based solely on what else I saw online. I don't know if it's too much or too little. I want to be fair about it, which is basically why I'm asking for info on the hat here . . . it's to put a fair price on it and learn more about these things for future reference.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana