Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago area people I need some advice

buelligan

One of the Regulars
Well I don't post on here much but I figured people here would give me the straight scoop on Chicago. My wife is in the running for a job at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL. Right now we live in London OH which is just outside of Columbus, we both grew up in Ohio me in Columbus and her up in Lima. I love Ohio and all it has to offer. Even though I was born in Chicago my parents moved away before I was 2 so I know nothing of the area other than I have no interest at all of living near Chicago. I am highly introverted and I'm happy that way, I don't need to live in the middle of nowhere but I would like some space between me and my neighbors. Is there anything like that within commuting distance of Chicago? She has told me that since I'm not thrilled about moving to Chicago that she would be willing to go as far north as Kenosha WI since she could take the train down to Evanston. I know Chicago and the surrounding area has a lot to offer and I guess I just need someone to help ease my fears of moving to the area, even though it's not a sure thing yet.
Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Try Lake Bluff, just up the North Shore from Evanston. Very sleepy yet a reasonable commute for the missus. Your poor wife.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
While I can't help you with Chicago... I do live in Kenosha. I am doing everything in my power to move from here and as soon as possible! There are nice and fun points to the city, but the trash far out weighs any good or potential. Good luck with your move.

Chicago Jimmy

Familiar Face
Kenosha is a little far. It depends on how much $$ you want to spend. Just north of Evanston is Wilmette,Winnetka,Glencoe,Highland Park, all pretty nice areas. A little further North and you get into the $$$ area Forest Park. There's plenty of areas to go west also. Chicago has a lot to offer, shopping , great food, plenty of things to do!

visforvictoryrolls

New in Town
So, the weird thing about being in Chicago is, depending on which way you go, in an hour or two drive, you can hit the middle of nowhere, corn field and farm lands, and you feel like you're in Nebraska! I recommend looking into the suburbs, they're very nice, easy going, and sleepy. I'm not much help as to point you in which direction to look for, but I love this area. Also, if you're huge into reenacting, there is a giant WWII reenacting following in the area and we do fun, vintage inspired events all the time!

buelligan

One of the Regulars
Cant do Indiana, the job she might get is just North of Chicago and even with the little I do know about the area I know I wouldn't wish a commute through Chicago every day on my worst enemy.
Lolita I'm sorry to hear about Kenosha it seemed like it had the prospect of being a nice little community. Just far enough away from Chicago to not be effected by it but close enough for the conveniences.
A.C. Lyles why did you say "poor wife"? Because she's married to an introvert that doesn't care for city life, or because Northwestern isn't a good place to work? Or something else? Just curious.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

First the disclaimer, I haven't been in Chicago since the mid-1980's.

My old roommate lived in Hoffman Estates and took the train to the city every day when he worked downtown over the summer. I'd be willing to bet that there is a decent connection via rail to Northwestern, just try and find a house / neighborhood that is in decent proximity to the train.

Just my $0.01, not worth 2

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The nice thing about Google and Google Maps is you can literally "internet drive and look" any neighborhood. Look for well kept streets and homes, then do the regular searching of what type of food, culture, and so on are there. Also a big plus is the rating of the local schools. You'll pay more for the desirable areas, of course. I would rent first and give it a try, and then look to buy if that is the game plan. Good Luck!

Bugguy

Practically Family
Kenosha - the city isn't my favorite. But I moved down to Cincinnati, OH from Salem, WI, about 15 miles due west of Kenosha. I had an acre with 120' lake frontage. I loved it! If it wasn't for a job and a nice salary, I'd still there.

You might check out Antioch, IL. right at the state line and 6 miles due south of Salem. Antioch is the end of the line for a commuter train to Chicago that goes pretty close, if not through Evanston. Rural, small town feeling and mid-way between Chicago and Milwaukee.

buelligan

One of the Regulars
You might check out Antioch, IL. right at the state line and 6 miles due south of Salem. Antioch is the end of the line for a commuter train to Chicago that goes pretty close, if not through Evanston. Rural, small town feeling and mid-way between Chicago and Milwaukee.

Thank you I will check it out.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Highland Park is nice. The downtown boasts several decent restaurants and theaters, and it isn't as stuffy as Kenilworth or Winnetka.

Highwood is interesting: a lot more "blue collar" than its neighboring communities, but the downtown boasts a number of excellent restaurants- including one of my favorite French dining venues, Froggy's.

Be aware that the North Shore is quite pricy. And as far as commuting from Kenosha? Most trains on that UP North Line terminate at Waukegan, so a commute via train to Evanston (Davis or Central) may not be that convenient.

But, kudos on her finding employment @ Northwestern. Longtime friend is on the faculty there, and he seems to really enjoy his students and colleagues.

buelligan

One of the Regulars
Well thank you for all the advice but after flying my wife up for the interview they decided to just realign positions that they already had and not hire anyone. But in the end she interviewed for and got a different and better paying job at OSU so it all worked out in the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112