Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago's Last Leather Tannery -- Horween

Man I love the quality control guys philosophy. I may be slow but it ain't coming back. Hell yeah man. All hail CXL.
Great post, thanks for sharing! Guess I should tune in to WTTW more often!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Being a Chef by profession, I loved the bit of info about the horse hides coming from Quebec, France, and Belgium where they still eat horse meat.

I'm Belgian, and horse really isn't that common over here. It was 40 years ago, they even had equine butchers that only sold horse meat, but today i can't remember the last time i saw horsemeat for sale. Usually its only mentionned in misslabeling scandals, like the horse burger thing in the UK two years ago.

It is very available in France though, sometimes even in regular supermarkets.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm Belgian, and horse really isn't that common over here. It was 40 years ago, they even had equine butchers that only sold horse meat, but today i can't remember the last time i saw horsemeat for sale. Usually its only mentionned in misslabeling scandals, like the horse burger thing in the UK two years ago.

It is very available in France though, sometimes even in regular supermarkets.

Same in Italy

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Visited the tannery four years ago, a really interesting experience - take a clothes peg for the ground floor section, but by the end of the production line, the smell is Aero-tastic.

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
I got to visit Wickett and Craig tannery in Pennsylvania this past summer. They are one of the two remaining veg tanneries in the US. The other being Herman Oak.

this was a cool clip. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112