Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

China Clipper Model Plane

macawber

Familiar Face
In the fifties I flew Pan AM from San Francisco to Sydney Australia on the the aircraft that came after the Clipper ships, the Boeing 377. I was a boy only 8 years old, but it was quite an adventure for me as we went from one exotic destination to another. I believe the maximum number of passengers was about 100. Thanks for your message about the Clippers it brought back some great memories.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Looks like a cartoon...neat model, not a bad price, but for a Clipper enthusiast like myself, it looks all wrong. 'Faithful' is misleading, 'whimsical' is more appropriate.

prod4010010_lg.jpg

Pa008.jpg

Martin%20M-130.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
If you look through some of the hobby shops, you might turn up the Glencoe kit of M-130. (Now out of production)

A few years ago Glencoe Models reissued the old 1950's Strombecker Plastic kit of the Martin-130 Clipper, which was fairly well done for it's day .

I have an original Pan Am Martin M-130 crew pin, as well as an original unbuilt 50's Stombecker M-130, and the recent Glencoe reissue. (The Glencoe kits should be fairly cheap on ebay)

It also goes well with the British Airfix kit of the Boeing 314 China Clipper.

Wild Root

Gone Home
paa38a3dy.jpg

Ah the classic Clipper ships! I wish there was one of these baby’s still around! I love seaplanes! They have this very cool look about them and they seem to have been able to go to more remote places then other aircraft.

As for the model, I think it's kind of cool. Not an accurate model of the clipper, but a cool 30's looking addition to a home office.

Root.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
PBY's are pretty cool, but another favorite flying boat name that shouldn't be over looked was Sikorsky......before Igor Sikorsky went back to his first love the helicopter, Sikorsky was known for flying boats.

The Sikorsky S-43 at this link: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/218342/L
used to be kept hidden for many years at Hobby airport by it's former owner Howard Hughes, when I was learning to fly back in my High School days, a freind and I used to sneak in Hughes Tool Co.'s hanger to see the other Howard Hughes flying boat. (Quite a bit smaller than the HK-1)

Btw......just to give a hat related spin to Sikorsky:

http://www.sikorskyarchives.com/fedora.html

I've met a few people at the American Helicopter Society that have tried on the hat.

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face

For those who want to pay a lot less than $100+ for a model, you can get some 3" diecast versions from Corgi. For their 100 Years of Flight series a few years ago, they made two versions of the Boeing B-314: a Pan Am one and a British/BOAC one. They're hard to find, so eBay is your best bet, where I just picked mine up a few days ago. They go for around $5 - $10.

ebay search - corgi clipper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo