Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese hats

lucas

New in Town
What is the deal with these hats? Is there no market no matter how niche it might be that the Chinese aren't trying to corner? I hadn't seen these hats before now. I knew that there were cheap Chinese hats on the market, but was not sure what they were like.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't really understand your question. If there's a product that can be sold for a profit, someone is going to make it. The Chinese make most American flags. The House just got around to deciding that it, as the largest legislative body in the US (as well as all other federal buildings), should only fly flags made in the US.

Check this out.

$4.7 million

In 2007, the dollar value of U.S. imports of American flags. The vast majority of this amount ($4.3 million) was for U.S. flags made in China.

Everyone wants to buy locally, but no one wants to pay the price.
(That's not meant to be condescending, because I'm often in that club.)

If you're just asking if that particular hat is any good, I don't think anyone here can know, as the seller has zero feedback.

Maguire

Practically Family
Better question: how are those hats, good? those are in my price range. If the product is good and cheaper, sorry but that's probably what i'm buying. If only we had a walmart around here :D

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I'm so disappointed. I thought someone was going to post photos of their Chinese hats...
fuma6.png

lucas

New in Town
Yes, yes, yes, I understand the economics of it all. I was being flippant and a bit sarcastic. (I guess my sarcasm, like that of the "New Yorker," is a bit too vague.) I was not particularly interested in this seller's hat quality in as much as the quality of this type of hat generally.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
So your question is "how good are Chinese-made hats in general"?

That's a bit on the broad side.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm not being critical, I'm just trying to help answer your question.

As to straws, there are Chinese hats ranging from those under $10 that you can pick up at WalMart to the milans that end up being blocked by Optimo for $400. In terms of the cheap straws - anything under $70 - they're all going to be paper and/or polyester, possibly with a plastic coating. I've got one that's paper/poly that I wear as a beater. It looks like a cheap hat, but it will hold up better than any natural fiber ever would. I think that my milan from Optimo is beautiful, but if we're talking durability, it's got nothing on polyester. (I'm leaving panamas out of this, as a real panama, by definition, can't be made in China.)

As to felts, it's no secret that Chinese companies, and the American ones that deal with them, sometimes ignore quality and ethical standards. Burlington coat factory has been in the news more than a few times for selling items made of dog and cat fur. I don't own any Chinese felts, nor have I had the opportunity to compare beaver to dog, so I can't help you there.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I picked up a rabbit fur hat on e-bay for not very much made by Lihua Hat Mfg. in China. If you read their profile, it appears they crank out millions of hats each year.
http://www.lihuahats.com/english/html/cn_culture1_liangdian.htm
The U.S. seller told me the brim was over 2-1/2", so judging by the picture, the crown looked nice and tall with a factory tear drop bash. I was somewhat disappointed to find the hat's brim was barely 2", thus the crown...not as tall as expected. Also, the size ran a little large.

I wetted the crown with a spray bottle of water to reshape it and black dye came off on my fingers. Aside from that, it really doesn't look too bad, a little stingy for my taste, but it's wearable...just not in the rain.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
I wouldn't want that opportunity...

B
v
e
r

Plus, it would be hard to be specific. I mean, beaver might do well against a shepherd/terrier blend, but how would it do against pure golden retriever? Every answer would just raise 10 more questions and I'm just not equipped to research this thing. ;)

:eek:fftopic: You're really digging that vertical and geometric typing lately.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Got some post-shed Lab fur if anyone's interested, you know, for research purposes ...

Free if you come sweep it out of my mud room ...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I was also considering talking to my barber as to the idea of a human felt.
On my rare trips to the beach, I've seen some guys with quite a bit of belly hair. I hear that's the prime stuff. ;)

DerMann

Practically Family
You'd be surprised with how many niches the Chinese produce clones for.

First example, fountain pens. There are a few fountain pen manufacturers in China that are of decent quality (especially for the price). The only one I have experience with is Hero (maker of the Hero 616 - copy of the Parker 51), and they make a very decent pen, especially for $10.

Another example is airsoft (similar to paintball, but the guns look like actual fire arms and they fire tiny 6mm plastic pellets). Around 2005, the market for guns was dominated by a few Japanese and Taiwanese companies (all of them very high quality, and high priced). Just about a year or two ago, Chinese companies started popping up and producing clones of popular guns. Some were ridiculously good (better than real brands) and some were bloody awful. All of them were made from pig iron and cheap plastic, but they were still well built and cost less than half of what the old companies charged.

In short, the Chinese will produce and export anything, because we will buy anything.

jkingrph

Practically Family
My Lab mix sheds enough hair to probably make a couple of hats a year, if I would collect and save it.( no way)

I generally try to look for products not made in China or Asia for that matter. I just do not like their attitudes and ways of doing business.

Edward

Bartender
FWIW, my understanding was that the majority of the dog and cat fur coming out of the far east is being marketed as faux fur, as opposed to passed off as beaver, rabbit, etc. I do recall a campaign a while back that was designed to raise awareness of this, and called on folks who were buying faux fur to be careful to ascertain that it really was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk