Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese Nationalist Army (KMT) fur hats.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking at this picture of KMT officers re: 1937, and at the back 3 of them seems to be wearing a fur hat that at first glance looks like one of the early, pointed, Soviet Ushanka fur caps. Except that it isn't a Red Army ushanka (even though KMT was being supplied by Soviet Russia at the time), but rather some sort of central asian traditional style (sheep?) skin fur cap with a peak.

KMTjilin.JPG

Can anyone name the style? I'd love to get one.

Edward

Bartender
Looks like a local version of the Ushanka. You might find one in a tourist market downtown in Beijing (but don't get it wet in case it goes tabby!). I've only ever seen the more-Russian style nylon and faux-fur ones that are currently issued, though.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Guys, that's kind of the style, but way much bigger ear flaps judging by the photos, and they do look like they have a uniform appearance, so I'm guessing that they were a mass produced in a nationalist factory item, to uniform standards, but based on the traditional local hats.

I'm going to have to check my e-mail lists and see who I know in Mongolia or something.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Maybe more this style?

tibetan-man-in-a-fur-hat-1969-e4xpcg.jpg

Hmmm, I wonder how good the KMT museum would be about e-mail enquiries?

Big J

Call Me a Cab

Wow! I'm impressed! Thank you very much!

Whilst an IJA hat, it appears identical to those worn by the KMT troops in the photo I posted, so I can only guess that all sides in China adopted this utilitarian style in the extremely cold winters. I checked for other pictures of the IJA issue hat and found some great examples;

4600_1.jpg
3252_5.jpg

Now I know that Japanese right-wing nuts have got a handle on a good source of repro IJA uniforms, maybe they make repro winter fur hats? But how to follow that lead...?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Following on from APP Adrian's eBay link, a quick search put me onto this IJA fur hat repro, made to order in China!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/replica-WWI...ur-Cap-1943-/161224496544?hash=item2589ba95a0

Quality may be an issue (although likely not to be worse than war time) but custom sizing is just the ticket with my massive head, and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to leave off the IJA patch! I wonder if these are made by the same people who make Japanese uniforms for the Chinese war dramas?

Well, I want to thank you all for helping me out on what I was pretty sure would be a real long shot, but came up trumps!
I'll post pics when it's all done!

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Lean'n'mean, that's a good point, I'd really prefer to avoid dog fur. Hmmm. I'd be happy to buy fur and send it to them to do the making!

Edward

Bartender
The eBay link has been blocked where I am but coming from China they may well be made from dog fur..........some people don't mind, others do, having seen how animals raised for their fur are treated in China I just thought it needed mentioning..

It's a possibility. The las I heard, the main concern was that dog and cat fur was being passed off as faux fur, but either way... While the tide is turning (the influence of Western pop culture means that dogs and cats are more seen as pets than possible food in China now), there are still some areas in which dog and cat are eaten; I'd imagine using their fur is less of an issue there.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Following on from APP Adrian's eBay link, a quick search put me onto this IJA fur hat repro, made to order in China!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/replica-WWI...ur-Cap-1943-/161224496544?hash=item2589ba95a0

Quality may be an issue (although likely not to be worse than war time) but custom sizing is just the ticket with my massive head, and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to leave off the IJA patch! I wonder if these are made by the same people who make Japanese uniforms for the Chinese war dramas?

Well, I want to thank you all for helping me out on what I was pretty sure would be a real long shot, but came up trumps!
I'll post pics when it's all done!

Go buy it and post pics!

Remember not to put the ear flaps down until at least -20C ;).

Now I know that Japanese right-wing nuts have got a handle on a good source of repro IJA uniforms, maybe they make repro winter fur hats? But how to follow that lead...?

I believe this is their source. Nakata Shoten makes repro IJA/IJN uniforms. My understanding is that unless you have a big order they don't really do business outside of Japan. The best you can hope for is secondary market via eBay.

http://www.nakatashoten.com/contents-japanriku02.html

n-736.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk