Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Toy Recommendations Of 1939

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The idea of a big-shopping, big-merchandised ho-ho-hoing secular Christmas was well established in the USA by the end of the 1930s, for those who could afford it, but for those who had to watch their pennies it was still possible for Santy Claus to make a big impression on the big day -- with our friends at Consumers Union assembling an interesting list of toy shopping ideas guaranteed to keep the kiddies stimulated without wasting a lot of mom and pop's money on frivolity. Presented under a festive bright red masthead -- as contrasted with the usual no-nonsense grey and black -- the December 1939 issue of CU Reports offers gift ideas direct from the Era.

Entitled "Toys And The Child," the article offers, first, one very important piece of advice: DON'T CHOOSE a toy with your own likes tather than the child's in mind -- a line accompanied by an interesting Gardner Rea cartoon of a Monopoly-man looking fellow with an erect moustache gazing at a fetching little statuette of a naked bubble dancer, with bubble strategically placed. Nuf 'Sed.

That point being taken, CU notes that due largely to pressure from educators and parents fed up with flimsy playthings, the overall quality of many toys is much higher than it was just a few years ago. But parents are still urged to carefully inspect every item purchased for their children, with an eye both to safety and durability.

A top recommendation for any child is a musical instrument -- but not a cheap, flimsy novelty. Cymbals, rhythm sticks, triangles, tambourines, drums, and even a good wooden xylophone are reccomended for kids aged two and up -- but with the warning "if it offends your ears, don't buy it for a child." A good phonograph and a wise selection of records can also cultivate an interest in good music and stimulate the physical expression of rhythm for children at any age.

Books are an appropriate gift for any child from two up, with the parent advised to seek guidance from the local librarian for the most appropriate titles for each age group.

CU recommends that children under the age of seven should not be given electric train sets -- and the child of seven should get the simplest possible arrangement of tracks and cars, with no complicated switches or other accessories which will frustrate the child. Building and construction sets are best for children eight and up, and children under ten should not be given chemistry sets. A first bicycle is a good choice for an eight year old, but the bike should be chosen on the basis not of style but of sturdiness, ease of operation, and closeness to the ground.

Dolls are appropriate for both boys and girls beginning around the age of two, along with "kiddie cars," nursery blocks, interlocking blocks, balls, washable paints and crayons, and various types of push and pull toys.

A child of three is ready for a tricyle, a wheelbarrow, or a wagon. First tool sets may be given at this age, such as simple hammer and nail sets using real nails with a "composition hammer" for driving them into a composition board. A good sized nail head should be used, to save the child's fingers and discourage swallowing. Knock-out pegboards are also useful for developing hand-eye skills.

Four and five year olds are ready for regular tool sets, including a good small saw about ten inches long, a good hammer with a tight head that cannot fall off, and a sturdy tool chest in which to keep them. Roller skates are also recommended at this age -- but only good ball-bearing types. Costumes and various dress-up materials for pretend games are very welcome. Puzzles of various types appropriate to age are good mind-builders at this age.

The six year old is ready for a simple wooden construction set such as Lincoln Logs or Tinker Toys, along with basic board games such as checkers, parcheesi, dominoes, anagrams, or lotto. A good foot or hand operated jigsaw may be safely operated by a child at this age, and tents, play-stores, and weaving looms also have an interest. Simple target games using rubber-tipped arrows or darts are also safe for six year olds.

From the age of six up, each child's specific skills and interest should have come into focus, and hobbies such as stamps, coins, rocks, and such may be cultivated along with sports interests such as archery, ice-skating, skiing and so forth. From the age of eight up, children are ready to be called on for suggestions as to what sort of gift they'd like. During the ages from six to ten the parent should focus especially on gifts which will contribute to the development of the child's social skills.

At the age of ten, children are ready for cameras, microscopes, chemistry and metal-craft sets, adult-type tools, model-building sets, field glasses, elaborate sports or art equipment, and adult-level musical instruments. Avoid lead-casting outfits due to the poisoning risk.

Pets, of course, are always welcomed by a child -- but practicality should be the rule. "A rabbit in a four room city apartment can be disastrous to family morale."

There is no mention whatever, either pro or con, of BB guns.

The most important recommendation in the article is that toys given to children should relate in some practical way to the world around them. "Essentially a child, through play, lives the life going on about him, varied by his imagination and fantasy." Good advice even for today.

EngProf

Practically Family
"Four and five year olds are ready for regular tool sets, including a good small saw about ten inches long..."

If you gave a four-year old a real ten-inch-long saw today, the social workers, and probably the cops would be after you in no time...

On the BB gun front, I got mine when I was 12 in 1960, as did all my pals. We must have put 500 pounds each of BB's through those.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
CU recommends that children under the age of seven should not be given electric train sets -- and the child of seven should get the simplest possible arrangement of tracks and cars, with no complicated switches or other accessories which will frustrate the child.

Earliest wish list I can ever recall presenting was at age 3, 1957, for ".. a train, a drum, and a fire engine." I already had a fire truck, so the engine was deleted. I got a tin toy drum (not the professional drum set that I saw Buddy Rich play on television). And the train was a key windup tin toy- not really what I wanted. But I somehow figured out that the whole Santa thing was keyed into what my parents could afford, so I decided not to make a deal out of it.

Next year, after a full 12 more months of watching Captain Kangaroo (Perhaps Lizzie can attest as to how he shilled for Lionel almost as shamefully as he shilled for Schwinn.), I specifically requested a Lionel Electric Train from Santa. I got a Marx Toys knock- off train... but it was close enough and gave me many joyful days of play.

When I had my own son, I was determined, from the day we brought him home, to get him a Lionel set. A hobby store salesman wisely advised me not to go too high end: get him the least expensive set available, and let him run roughshod over it. By the time he was two, I was dying, DYING, to get him a train set and couldn't hold off any longer. And so I got him the Lionel set, a very BASIC Lionel set with one turnout switch, for Christmas. Which he promptly had more fun pushing around the track by hand than employing electricity via the power pack. Much like his wooden Brio train set. In retrospect, I wish that I had at least waited until he had mastered potty training.

The moral of the story: don't rush it with buying the toys that you wish that you'd been given as a kid with your own kids. My son did eventually develop an interest in model railroading like his old man, but you can't really expect any small child to grasp the whole enchilada too quickly. I got my first HO set at age five, and a simple switch or two would have been appreciated to relieve the tedium of the simple 18" radius circle. The truth likely lies somewhere between my over- optimism and CU's pessimism as to electric trains and young kids. As much as I liked the Lionel set that the Captain and Mr. Greenjeans ran on the show, it was way above the pay grade of even the most precocious four year old.. and I suppose only becoming a parent drove that lesson home for me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fred Rogers was rather critical of the good Captain for his tendency to shill -- although they respected each other as colleagues in quality children's entertainment, Mr. Rogers didn't think that commercial television was particularly conducive to it, and used the Captain's program as an example of how even the best intentions could be subverted by The Market.

Given the explosion of TV toy marketing hype that exploded in front of the first wave of Boomers in the 1950s, it's very interesting to compare the way toys were sold in the 1930s. Most notably no major toy company ever had a sales presence on radio. While the afternoon kiddie adventure serials marketed a lot of cheap plastic and tin gimcrackery along with the Ovaltine and the cold cereal, there were no major children's radio programs sponsored by toy manufacturers at any time during the Era -- not even on programs based on characters who proved to be merchandising juggernauts. The Lone Ranger, Superman, Dick Tracy, and Mickey Mouse all had their own radio programs in the years before the war, and all had impressive lines of toys based on their images -- but none of those spin-off toys were flogged on the radio programs themselves. The Lone Ranger gave away cheap little send-away gimmicks, but his commercials sold bread and cereal -- not toy gun sets, costumes, or other products sold under his image by toymakers.

Some toy advertising in the Era was in children's magazines -- St. Nicholas, The American Boy, Boys' Life, American Girl, Jack and Jill, and similar publications, in which Lionel was a particuarly visible advertiser. When comic books appeared in the late thirties, Daisy Manufacturing used them very heavily, with Daisy ads among the most common back-cover ads on comics thruout the 1930s and 1940s. But even with this amount of print advertising, the greatest amount of toy advertising was done face to face, by store displays. The scene in "A Christmas Story" where the Parker kids ogle the display in Higbee's front window captures the essence of this type of marketing -- it was simple, but it was personal, and you saw *the actual toy* in front of you, not a drawing or a sketch or a photo of it. Parents could well attest to how effective it was, and every year the displays got more and more ostentatious -- and began to push licensed-character toys even harder because they seemed to be the most effective at capturing the attention of passing kids. Elaborate train sets, because motion was an integral part of their appeal, made very effective tools in this sort of marketing, and helped establish their presence in the front rank of the heirarchy of Christmas toys.

EngProf

Practically Family
Into the 50's and early 60's - prime Baby-Boomer toy buying time, I don't remember if the toy companies sponsored specific TV shows, but they had a large presence in the TV ad area. How else did we know about Mattel Tommy-bursts and Shootin'-Shell Fanner-Fifties and Marx Atomic Cannons?

Every kid I knew watched those ads diligently and then discussed/debated with their pals what to ask Santa for.

(I still have my Mattel Tommy-burst and my Hubley Colt .45.)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Earliest wish list I can ever recall presenting was at age 3, 1957, for ".. a train, a drum, and a fire engine." I already had a fire truck, so the engine was deleted. I got a tin toy drum (not the professional drum set that I saw Buddy Rich play on television). And the train was a key windup tin toy- not really what I wanted. But I somehow figured out that the whole Santa thing was keyed into what my parents could afford, so I decided not to make a deal out of it.

Next year, after a full 12 more months of watching Captain Kangaroo (Perhaps Lizzie can attest as to how he shilled for Lionel almost as shamefully as he shilled for Schwinn.), I specifically requested a Lionel Electric Train from Santa. I got a Marx Toys knock- off train... but it was close enough and gave me many joyful days of play.

When I had my own son, I was determined, from the day we brought him home, to get him a Lionel set. A hobby store salesman wisely advised me not to go too high end: get him the least expensive set available, and let him run roughshod over it. By the time he was two, I was dying, DYING, to get him a train set and couldn't hold off any longer. And so I got him the Lionel set, a very BASIC Lionel set with one turnout switch, for Christmas. Which he promptly had more fun pushing around the track by hand than employing electricity via the power pack. Much like his wooden Brio train set. In retrospect, I wish that I had at least waited until he had mastered potty training.

The moral of the story: don't rush it with buying the toys that you wish that you'd been given as a kid with your own kids. My son did eventually develop an interest in model railroading like his old man, but you can't really expect any small child to grasp the whole enchilada too quickly. I got my first HO set at age five, and a simple switch or two would have been appreciated to relieve the tedium of the simple 18" radius circle. The truth likely lies somewhere between my over- optimism and CU's pessimism as to electric trains and young kids. As much as I liked the Lionel set that the Captain and Mr. Greenjeans ran on the show, it was way above the pay grade of even the most precocious four year old.. and I suppose only becoming a parent drove that lesson home for me.

Some nights, I get chills and I'll have a cup of hot chocolate
to warm my body.

Tonight, I read your words
to warm my soul. :)

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is a good list for today, I think.

The kids are getting the following for Christmas:
Girl, aged 3: Preschool scooter (santa), a toy castle, crafting supplies (pom poms, stickers, etc.)
Boy, aged 1: large dump truck (santa), ferry bath toy, and doll

They are both getting some ornaments for the tree, an orange, and a few candies in their stocking. I want to make the boy some more bibs, the girl a purse, and both of them housecoats.

... The scene in "A Christmas Story" where the Parker kids ogle the display in Higbee's front window captures the essence of this type of marketing -- it was simple, but it was personal, and you saw *the actual toy* in front of you, not a drawing or a sketch or a photo of it. Parents could well attest to how effective it was, and every year the displays got more and more ostentatious -- and began to push licensed-character toys even harder because they seemed to be the most effective at capturing the attention of passing kids. Elaborate train sets, because motion was an integral part of their appeal, made very effective tools in this sort of marketing, and helped establish their presence in the front rank of the heirarchy of Christmas toys.

I'm doing this from memory, but I read a biography of the Lionel Company many years ago and I believe the company first made model trains for other companies to use in their display windows to attract attention. It was only after customers started to ask if they could buy the train display that Lionel got the idea to sell them as toys direct to kids. So model trains - at least Lionels - started as marketing display props not toys which only emphasizes Lizzie's point about how effective their motion was at selling.

I had a lot of those same toys from the 1939 list in the late 60s/early 70s. I had the wooden xylophone, the peg board and hammer, a few small tools in a tool box, Lincoln logs, and of course, the good old Tonka toys. I was never into trains, despite my grandfather being a train engineer, and my mother was far too terrified to ever get me a BB gun. In her mind, I'm still not old enough.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Given the explosion of TV toy marketing hype that exploded in front of the first wave of Boomers in the 1950s, it's very interesting to compare the way toys were sold in the 1930s. Most notably no major toy company ever had a sales presence on radio.

..... The scene in "A Christmas Story" where the Parker kids ogle the display in Higbee's front window captures the essence of this type of marketing -- it was simple, but it was personal, and you saw *the actual toy* in front of you, not a drawing or a sketch or a photo of it. Parents could well attest to how effective it was, and every year the displays got more and more ostentatious -- and began to push licensed-character toys even harder because they seemed to be the most effective at capturing the attention of passing kids. Elaborate train sets, because motion was an integral part of their appeal, made very effective tools in this sort of marketing, and helped establish their presence in the front rank of the heirarchy of Christmas toys.

The significance of a toy train set for a young boy in the 1950's cannot be overstated. Lionel (in either O-27 or "Super O" scale) and Gilbert- American Flyer (S scale) engaged in a real battle for our young hearts and minds.

I was about five when I realized that real life trains didn't have giraffe heats popping through the roofs of stock cars, or glass sided boxcars carrying gold bullion, or even that middle third rail. My uncle had built his own HO scale set-up for himself in his garage (The kids had their own oval setup in their room on a sheet of plywood, and knew that touching dad's trains was Verboten.) I was fascinated by its realism, and never looked back from that point. I wanted a train that looked like a train.

HO scale ("Half O," and the same gauge if not the same scale as British OO) evolved in the 30's as a more space and cost effective alternative to the already established O scale. Scale modelling in O still exists- but it really has become (and I know that I'll take flak on this one) the Rich Old Man's Scale as the cost of even a basic passenger or freight consist can run several times of what the same models would be in HO. That said, the larger size does present terrific super detailing possibilities for the craftsman.

In the Era, HO scale model railroading was in its infancy: nearly every car was hand made from balsa wood kits, and if you wanted a detailed locomotive, you built it from scratch. Track was hand laid, and usually the power was supplied to the locomotives by an outside third rail. To make things even more interesting, each manufacturer made their own couplers, making train setups very difficult. Model railroading was also more formal as a social event. When grown men gathered in model railroading clubs for a night operating session, collared shirt and tie were standard wear. We're spoiled now: I doubt that I or 90% of active HO scale modelers now could have survived in that era as far as our mechanical and artistic skills. But that may have had a lot to do with why CU in the Era advised no electric trains for kids under seven: even the kid friendly toy trains were not really all that "kid friendly."

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Into the 50's and early 60's - prime Baby-Boomer toy buying time, I don't remember if the toy companies sponsored specific TV shows, but they had a large presence in the TV ad area. How else did we know about Mattel Tommy-bursts and Shootin'-Shell Fanner-Fifties and Marx Atomic Cannons?

Every kid I knew watched those ads diligently and then discussed/debated with their pals what to ask Santa for.

(I still have my Mattel Tommy-burst and my Hubley Colt .45.)
I wish I'd hung on to mine. The Mattel .45 Peacemaker pistols were sturdy and well-proportioned and looked enormously like chrome-plated real ones, and the bullets worked on the same basic principle: a cartridge that stayed in the gun's cylinder, powder for the bang -- a Greenie Stick-M Cap -- and a plastic bullet that flew out to hit the target.

When I was 12 I received AMT's big 1/12 scale Cord 812 model kit, and the next year the even bigger 1/8 scale Monogram Jaguar XKE 2 + 2. My modeling skills on that latter one really paid off: my mother kept it in a paper bag in a closet at the apartment. When I was cleaning out the place after her death, 20 years after I'd assembled the kit, it had lost its chrome door handles and some trim, but was otherwise intact. That, my Big Frankie Aurora model kit, and my Mattel Cecil the Sea-sick Sea Serpent, which Mom had also kept, are the items I wish I'd scooped up.

Oh, and the Hartland Western figurines like Bat Masterson and Roy Rogers, too! My gosh, I could have filled a room with the things she kept, or sold them for good money nowadays!

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
"The six year old is ready for a simple wooden construction set such as Lincoln Logs or Tinker Toys..."

Tinker Toys were a part of my life well before I was six- and well after. One night after I had gone to bed (I was about four) my dad had constructed a really elaborate working ferris wheel with my set: I was fascinated by it, and my dad's skills in building it. That level of creativity was above my pay grade.

A variation on Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs were the Kenner Girder & Panel Building sets that came out in the late 1950's. A young architect / civil engineer could build skyscrapers, truss bridges, etc. that looked pretty realistic. They don't make 'em anymore, alas.

3fingers

One Too Many
I'm just a cranky old man I guess, but I remember when most kids got relatively simple things (compared to today) for Christmas and most parents would have never considered going into debt to finance gifts for their little heathens. I know people did overspend because I have seen and heard surviving ads and magazine articles that indicate that this was a problem. I am not claiming innocence in this regard. We set a limit on how much we spend on each one, but that limit has continued to creep up over time. I also find the year 'round accumulation of stuff that children are the beneficiaries of tends to create ungrateful children who are not excited by anything.
In my childhood and that of my friends, we got gifts on our birthday and at Christmas and if we asked any other time we were told that our birthday or Christmas was coming and "put it on your list."
We should never have collectively fallen prey to changing that way of doing things and I believe our children are the poorer for us having done so.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Until Christmas came along:
610DFAE4-1140-47DF-93EE-23D37CDF4A9F.jpeg

50A7B000-A0C4-4D65-8189-CBD18C460C1D.jpeg

C6207386-80E5-4341-A06A-9F62360421A8.jpeg

I recall having steel ball bearings but was
not used too much because they usually
would break my marbles.
Yoyos, spinning tops and stick ball were
other things I remember.
If the kite tore up, my uncle would show
me how to build one using newspapers.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Apparently, no one told my grandparents not to give a chemistry set at under 10 years old, and then leave me with it, unsupervised, on their living room wall-to-wall carpeting.

I think that was the only time I ever saw my grandfather visibly upset.

I got the "doctor's kit" and drank the iodine that came with it which was flavored color water.
The worse thing that upset my folks was when my brother & I were shooting "roman candles"
at each other playing combat soldiers at war.
I wore my dad's WW2 helmet, my brother wore a cheap plastic football helmet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto