Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christys Adventurer "steel grey" - a difficult color?

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Hi,

i just bought a Fedora in "steel grey". Now, i find it hard to combine this hat with any of my clothes, except from black. The grey of this fedora is a very special grey, most of my grey colthes doesn't fit.

Anyone else with this problem? Are there more color tips?

Thanks! :)

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
"Return it." - Hehe, i don't want to give up so soon. It's a nice hat...

Here are some pics of it.

http://www.advintagefedora.de/shop/...er-Fedora-Hat-by-Christys-Hats-steelgrey.html

img0001zi8604cjdu.jpg

img0004pukrqt2m6d.jpg

I guess that "steel grey" is "grey"? It's darker than "light grey".

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Nice hat! It doesn't even go with a navy blue suit?

Nice indeed! Man, not to brag about this but around here I'm the gray hat man ;) you can rock that on with navy blue, dark gray, jeans and black. Gray is so versatile and adds a nice contrast to what you wear.

TipTop

Practically Family
I am a photographer and have a calibrated monitor. Going to the website with the advertisement, the color appears to have a greenish cast, but I suspect that is just lousy lighting/reproduction. Your individual shots look more appealing and real, and I can't see anything unusual about the color, but then, that's not surprising given all the variables of picture taking and display.

How would you describe the color difference from some standard that we can identify? Steel gray, in my mind's eye, has a bluish cast to it, with perhaps a bit of brown. In fact, my "smoke" Ritch Rand, shown in my avatar is more brownish gray, and as such, it goes well with all the browns that I have (that's flattering to my skin tone).

If you could tell us how it reacts to your skin tone, hair color, etc., then we might be able to relate to your issue; but as it stands, we are all looking in the dark.

Main suggestion: take it outdoors and photograph it in the shade.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Interesting...I have never considered my skin tone or hair color when buying a hat. Proportion to my face shape, sure. I don't think we're totally in the dark here but no matter what we suggest to you, you should consider how you feel when you wear the hat, regardless of its color. If you're uncomfortable, it might be worth looking for other color options.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
you can rock that on with navy blue, dark gray, jeans and black.

How would you describe the color difference from some standard that we can identify? Steel gray, in my mind's eye, has a bluish cast to it, with perhaps a bit of brown.
Main suggestion: take it outdoors and photograph it in the shade.

I am not sure wearing it with grey. In fact, it has some blue touch.. I'll post some pics here, just for you to see the difference. Outdoor pics follow tomorrow. ;)

You can see a scarf (left) from that i would say it's light grey. On the right side a jacket, in my opinion a normal grey. Now see the hat. It doesn't fit, does it?

img0001gjx7pvl5fo.jpg

img0004jyu2s4xqdg.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
I am not sure wearing it with grey. In fact, it has some blue touch.. I'll post some pics here, just for you to see the difference. Outdoor pics follow tomorrow. ;)

You can see a scarf (left) from that i would say it's light grey. On the right side a jacket, in my opinion a normal grey. Now see the hat. It doesn't fit, does it?

Hmm, maybe it DOES have blue-green (teal) shade to it. Will want to see your outdoors shot...maybe with you under it! Just don't take it in direct sunlight, or with a color reflecting off a nearby wall.

FYI, here is a complimentary-color wheel

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
Hi,

i just bought a Fedora in "steel grey". Now, i find it hard to combine this hat with any of my clothes, except from black. The grey of this fedora is a very special grey, most of my grey colthes doesn't fit.

Anyone else with this problem? Are there more color tips?

Thanks! :)

I have what I call a medium grey Stetson Fedora. It's seems a little off when I wear it with dark clothes where it is just a shade lighter.
It works best (to me) with clothes that are lighter than the hat making it the darkest of the colors.

Lt. Bob

New in Town
The color looks real close to Akubra's Moonstone color so I'm going to echo what Aureliano said, grey goes with almost anything. Personally I think that color grey goes best with a black overcoat, but it goes just as well with blue clothes too.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
I ordered a grey hat, because it should fit to brown, grey, black, blue. But this color is .... you can't just wear grey to it, because it's not really grey. The tones don't have to be the same, I know, but the hat, in german we say "bites" with all clothes I have (It doesn't fit to nothing). :D
I'll show you tomorrow, now its 9.30 p.m. here.

Mystic

Practically Family
I ordered a grey hat, because it should fit to brown, grey, black, blue. But this color is .... you can't just wear grey to it, because it's not really grey. The tones don't have to be the same, I know, but the hat, in german we say "bites" with all clothes I have (It doesn't fit to nothing). :D
I'll show you tomorrow, now its 9.30 p.m. here.

I remember the German beer from when I stationed in Germany while in the U.S.Army.

Have a few of those and the hat will look fine with anything..........

Last edited:

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Well,

I came home, made these photos. Today, it's rainy, really dark. I couldn't make Photos outdoors, they became no good.

One i made outdoor, just for you guys to see.

What are you thinking? You see my problem with this intense color of the hat?

Ah, sorry for not smiling. But there is nothing to smile on this weather today, haha! :D

img0016lv2frk078y.jpg

img00241v0yirsxgf.jpg

img0014xifgm9zs3r.jpg

Hm, as i see now, it doesn't actually look bad on these fotos. But on the pics i miss this green- blue touch... the hat looks darker than it is actually.

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Gray is the new pink ...

No, wait!, Pink is the new black... yeah, that's it. But who wants to wear a pink hat?

Not me!

Unless it was a VS or a Penman, of course!

The grays can tinge towards blue or green, while a true, even gray, is easier to match, I find I am much more critical on matching than anyone else is encounter during the day is.

I have a beautiful 1940s Champ "camel-down" fedora ... wide brim, tall straight crown, just a dandy hat.

It is yellow .... try matching that with something other than jeans.

I'm still working on it.

Once in a while, I wear it with a navy blazer.

I've seriously thought about getting a black suit and having a matching yellow vest made ... but that would just be "showy!"

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21