Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chukka or Chelsea, Pebble Grain or Suede

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I have updated this thread. Looking at some Chelsea boots, chukkas and Jodphurs

Some meermin chukkas in snuff suede are in my size and available on ebay much cheaper.

Saw some Jodphurs and I think they might work better than some engineers.

Cant seem to decide on leather, suede or pebble grain.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I need a chukka or chelsea boot. This will be for business casual all year, from summer linens to jeans to casual chinos and dress khaki pants with a polo or shirt and sweater.. Wanna stay around $200-$250 range.

I was thinking of pebble grain chukkas but for some reason, I am thinking I would wear the suede in a lighter color more often?

I am thinking of Meermin suede snuff chukkas and then Thursday Bootcompany Scouts (they have a Honey Suede and a Cognac). I think the lighter color might be more versatile?

Meermins are sometimes on the ebay site and could be had for about the same price ($120 or so and $35 shipping) if I am patient and I think they might look better and be better constructed? I am a US 9D and would order the 8UK in E width in the Hiro last.

Found some Cole Haan Watson chukkas in mahogany pebble grain at Dillards for $55.00,tax included. THis is what they look like

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cole-Haan-Mens-Watson-Chukka-ll-Mahogany-Brown-/282728792777

So, Pebble grain or suede? And if suede, Thursday Boot or Meermin?
Funny you should mention pebble grain, as I recently remembered a pair of pebble-grain boots I had in high school and have been obsessing over them lately. In fact, the Cole Hahns look very similar to them. As far as Thursdays, I have two pairs and wear them constantly: very comfortable right from the first wearings.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I'm not sure I'd choose either style, at this point. But, I'd had a lot of experience with Frye and I've found them to be pretty darn good.

- Ian

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Ian thanks. Was wondering about why you would not choose either style. I have not had engineer boots and was looking at some suede chukkas (meermin) or even pebble grain, but saw this thread and some engineer boots, the Addison, in fatique suede and they could be had for like $80.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Ian thanks. Was wondering about why you would not choose either style. I have not had engineer boots and was looking at some suede chukkas (meermin) or even pebble grain, but saw this thread and some engineer boots, the Addison, in fatique suede and they could be had for like $80.

Oh, to clarify, I do like both styles, but I don't care for suede or pebble grain. If I had to choose one from the two, I'd go with pebble grain.

- Ian

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll agree with Ian on the Fryes. I have a pair of old engineer boots of theirs that I've worn pretty regularly for going on 20 years and they're still going strong. I also liked their Rand lace-up boots so much that I got them in all three colors and wear them fairly often. You might want to check out Nordstrom Rack for them, as I just saw that they've gotten in a new shipment with quite a few chukkas and other types of boots, all at discounts.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Pliner, these are local and buttery smooth but in person, the tan is even lighter. I guess with age they would darken

Frye Chelsea, color is called chestnut, kinda iffy on the color

Meermin Chukka, again like the Frye, maybe overthinking the color?
10146814230000HE-A_22.jpg

Meermin Johdpur. Darkest brown I would own. Worried they may be too dressy but I may be overthinking it. Have not tried these on, they are Spanish made.

Last edited:

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Well

Well

20180303_125939.jpg

The first pair in the previous post were sold. Wife kinda liked them,. So we went back and found a pair of Frye Phillip inside zip boots. Went up a size to 9.5 and they put an extra hole in the strap to make it more snug under the vamp. It does not really bunch like shown, must have done that when I hiked the leg to shoot the photo. Anyway, it is not as dressy as that Meermin in the post above, but looks like it can work with dress khakis, nice shirt and sweater, but not be too dressy with jeans.

We don't have access to many nicer shoes in Memphis. Frye is hard to find, and we have all the Cole Haan, Johnston Murphy, Macys house brand, TImberland and the like. We have Nordstrom Rack but it is really hit and miss. So the two nicer mens stores, one had a sale rack and the other has all spring shoes in. They had another boot, a little lighter in color with a more burnished toe, two zippers, and no strap, but it had a rubber sole and well, she liked the strap look better.

I appreciate anyone who read this, and may still yet get a suede boot, like a Meermin suede or the Frye boot

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points