Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Churchill "100" 7 3/8 VICUNA fur

John Galt

Vendor
Please check out the pics & description in the thread of the same (or similar name) and PM me. This is a truly rare and beautiful hat and case.

John Galt

Vendor
For those who have expressed interest, the hat is sized 7 3/8, and measures right at 23 or maybe 23 1/8 (measured twice, with different results).

The opening is 6 3/4 side to side by 8 1/16 front to back.

I'm still thinking about price, and it will depend in whether the case also sells. I would hate to break them up.

I don't want to get rich here, but given the rarity of this hat and the fur fibre it is made of, I would probably not want to part with it for less than $500, w/o the case. I am pretty confident that it would get that at an open auction. I would want another $150 for the case, which (frankly) I am tempted to keep - it's really classy.

I may be persuaded otherwise, but that's what I'm thinking at the moment.

Maybe I should set a deadline & open it up for bids? Let me know what you think. I'd much rather do it here than eBay or an auction house because you gents will appreciate it & preserve it rather than let it get eaten by moths.

I don't want to get rich here, but given the rarity of this hat and the fur fibre it is made of, I would probably not want to part with it for less than $500, w/o the case. I am pretty confident that it would get that at an open auction...

Previous auction results would tend to question that estimate. Of course, your mileage may vary.

John Galt

Vendor
Last I checked, the Classifieds here is not for "open it up for bids". You set a desired price & can take OBO's but auctioning is for ebay....

I checked the rules posted for this thread and see nothing barring an auction or prohibiting a seller from requesting offers. Reviewing the thread I see that some sellers state a desired price and indicate that they will take best offers, but that others simply invite offers. It may be a matter of semantics, but to me that is the essence of an auction.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place, or it is an unwritten rule? I certainly did not mean to offend anyone by offering this hat for sale in the classified section. Maybe a bartender can provide some guidance.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I checked the rules posted for this thread and see nothing barring an auction or prohibiting a seller from requesting offers.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place, or it is an unwritten rule?
From the Classifieds sticky:
Scotrace said:
Note that we don't allow members to use the classified section to create sales by auction within the thread. Recently, Johnnyphi sold off a large collection of deadstock hats via auctions here, but that was a strict exception (as we pointed out at the time). To the casual observer, they went off without a hitch so what's the big deal? You didn't see the considerable amount of bartender work involved in setting those up and keeping them running. We also had to act as arbitrators in disputes. And the Lounge took no cut.
We don't do auctions at the Fedora Lounge just as eBay doesn't advise you on what color socks to wear with cream flannel trousers. eBay does this stuff really, really well, they get paid to do it, they know all the pitfalls. So we let them do it. Here, in the Classified section, please offer your items at set prices (but be prepared to haggle).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto