Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CHURCHILL HATS

Churchill homburg: black felt and bronze ribbon and binding in 7 ⅝ or 61cm:

IMG_8877.jpeg
IMG_8880.jpeg
IMG_8885.jpeg
IMG_8886.jpeg
IMG_8888.jpeg
IMG_8891.jpeg

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I've been keeping my eye out for Churchill Ltd. hat since quite a long time, encouraged by the good reviews in this very helpful thread and elsewhere..

I found a nice near mint camel coloured one recently (officially Clay) that I really liked, my really low offer was accepted, and received it today, total price with shipping and customs ended up around $120 all in, which was nice.

I'm impressed with the quality of the hat, though the band is not to my taste (I very much doubt that the ludicrous faux fur monstrosity it also came with was original to the hat), and the sweatband is quite brittle, even after treatment, I think it's just been stored bone dry for too long, maybe has dry rot, because the leather has lost all suppleness.

The felt is very stiff, somewhat akin to a modern cowboy hat, and though the diameter is perfect for my head, it's an unforgiving round oval, unwearable as is on my LO head.

I plan on finding some nice thin vintage ribbon to send along with the hat to the shop I used to modify my Akubra Sombrero, I'm going to ask them to replace the sweatband and reshape it into a long oval, keeping the crease as is, it's a nice high crown shape and looks pretty cool to my eyes.

I welcome suggestions as to the colour of the ribbon, the hat colour in daylight is true to the photos, it's a real rich looking felt with quite a lot of depth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166301894664

Last edited:
I've been keeping my eye out for Churchill Ltd. hat since quite a long time, encouraged by the good reviews in this very helpful thread and elsewhere..

I found a nice near mint camel coloured one recently (officially Clay) that I really liked, my really low offer was accepted, and received it today, total price with shipping and customs ended up around $120 all in, which was nice.

I'm impressed with the quality of the hat, though the band is not to my taste (I very much doubt that the ludicrous faux fur monstrosity it also came with was original to the hat), and the sweatband is quite brittle, even after treatment, I think it's just been stored bone dry for too long, maybe has dry rot, because the leather has lost all suppleness.

The felt is very stiff, somewhat akin to a modern cowboy hat, and though the diameter is perfect for my head, it's an unforgiving round oval, unwearable as is on my LO head.

I plan on finding some nice thin vintage ribbon to send along with the hat to the shop I used to modify my Akubra Sombrero, I'm going to ask them to replace the sweatband and reshape it into a long oval, keeping the crease as is, it's a nice high crown shape and looks pretty cool to my eyes.

I welcome suggestions as to the colour of the ribbon, the hat colour in daylight is true to the photos, it's a real rich looking felt with quite a lot of depth.

That fluffy fur band is um. Rather interesting :) I actually like the beaded band very much. I’m not sure if it is original to the hat or not... but I do Feel like I remember seeing one of these Neimann Marcus Churchill in this.western style with a band like that some time in the past. maybe same hat resold. Nice hat overall. Look forward to seeing it after you’ve had it worked up.

I have a strong bias towards minimal contrast in the ribbon colour. The hat is such a rich colour I suggest letting it stand out and go with close to a tone on tone ribbon colour. 1 3/8" wide, simple bow with perhaps a frayed trailing edge.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
That fluffy fur band is um. Rather interesting :) I actually like the beaded band very much. I’m not sure if it is original to the hat or not... but I do Feel like I remember seeing one of these Neimann Marcus Churchill in this.western style with a band like that some time in the past. maybe same hat resold. Nice hat overall. Look forward to seeing it after you’ve had it worked up.

I think the beaded band is original, it's not bad looking, but not really my thing. Very '70's vibe, I have memories of slightly sketchy dudes wearing hats like this, LOL

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I have a strong bias towards minimal contrast in the ribbon colour. The hat is such a rich colour I suggest letting it stand out and go with close to a tone on tone ribbon colour. 1 3/8" wide, simple bow with perhaps a frayed trailing edge.

I'm with you on this one, I went with a high contrast gold one on my Sombrero but that's a flash hat and I wanted it to pop.

I'm going to look around and see what I can find, not sure if slightly lighter or darker will look better. It's nt a very easy colour to match properly, might take some trial and error, I can afford to try one or two different ribbons and see how it looks in real life.

I'm with you on this one, I went with a high contrast gold one on my Sombrero but that's a flash hat and I wanted it to pop.

I'm going to look around and see what I can find, not sure if slightly lighter or darker will look better. It's nt a very easy colour to match properly, might take some trial and error, I can afford to try one or two different ribbons and see how it looks in real life.
Yes, I agree and think you could go either way....a touch lighter or darker would both work.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Churchill Pure Beaver, made for the Neiman-Marcus Red River collection. 4 inch brim and about 6 3/4 inch open crown. This is a stiffer hat so I can't really compare the felt to my Churchill 100 Beaver and Vicuna. It's missing the ribbon. If a Churchill 100 is pretty scarce, a Churchill Pure Beaver must be really scarce.

Attachments

• IMG_20240217_151401_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240217_151401_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240217_151946_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240217_151946_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240217_151320_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240217_151320_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240217_151300_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240217_151300_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240217_151250_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240217_151250_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240217_151229_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240217_151229_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240217_150806_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240217_150806_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240217_173524_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240217_173524_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Churchill Pure Beaver with a ribbon taken from another hat. Saved me the trouble of sending it off for a ribbon. Plus I'm always nervous about sending rare hats away, that they'll get lost or stolen and I always worry until I get them back.

Attachments

• IMG_20240411_120213_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240411_120213_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240411_120318_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240411_120318_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran