Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CIANO Farmer Custom-Sized 18oz Chino Khaki - Review

A-1

One Too Many
Hi you,
I just couldn’t resist writing something about this incredible pair of chinos.
It took some time for them to come to Germany but it worth more than the wait. I don’t understand why I ever paid so much for another pair of trousers. These are by any means the best made pair of pants I’ve ever touched.
Plus, they were only about 110€ including international shipping, taxes and all.

Here are some photos:
2015-08-02 03.52.41-1.jpg
2015-08-02 03.52.57-1.jpg
2015-08-02 19.46.51-1.jpg
2015-08-02 19.47.07-1.jpg
2015-08-02 19.47.27.jpg
2015-08-02 19.47.38.jpg
IMG_2009.jpg
IMG_2022.jpg

As for the material, the 18oz stuff is awesome. Heavy, feels indestructible, still it’s very soft. I’ve had some fat drips on it which simply sunk in without any visible stains left. Never seen this in any kind of pants before. I’ve sized up a little bit as I thought the material would be stiff and hard but it’s not. It’s actually comfortable right from the start.

The details on this are also great! You actually have a great variety of choices as for buttons, color of thread, double knee and on and on. The pocket bags on this one are as thick as the denim on most “heritage” denim brands. The denim on these tends to break when you do not give it a light soak. I’ve worn this one for three months straight now, on hikes, for work, I mean everyday virtually and put aside the indigo from my Tellason chore coat, it looks like new.
I think I won’t ever “need” another pair of pants but these chinos make me want another pair really bad!

As for sizing, I gave Ciano my full measurement chart and he made the chinos for me. And all this for under 70$...

I’ve just found out he makes jackets with pendleton wool liner as well. Argh.

If you think about getting a new pair of trousers you should definitely check his page:
http://www.cianofarmer.com/shop.html

He is quick answering mails and a very decent person to converse with. Can only say beautiful things about this piece of clothing which is probably the best deal I’ve ever made.

Quick note, I can destroy anything by simply wearing it. My Tellason, Rogue Territory jeans had holes after some weeks from bike riding or simply walking around. I’ve got a dog that I take for walks about 15 km every day. My RW, Alden or Viberg boots all needed a new heel after only two months. These pants are like new now. I think they’re the first piece of clothing that I can actually rely on. I’m a happy boy I’ve found Ciano. :D
Peace

wdw

One Too Many
Looking very good. I have a few pieces from Ciano, including an 18oz jacket, and agree that he makes rock-solid stuff. I like everything I have from him.

He's about to put his prices up a little, as he's realised that he's doing too much custom work for little or no cost, but at least he's learned how not to run a business after watching, and benefitting from, the LD fiasco.

A-1

One Too Many
Ah yeah, I've seen that he charges extra for custom measurements now. Which I think is well worth the work time and all. Still you can buy this pants with custom measurements for 140 $, which is a ridiculous price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A-1

One Too Many
Would you be able to post some pics of the jacket? I'd love to see it.
Really like the idea of the Pendleton wool liner.

wdw

One Too Many
Here's the jacket. 18oz black duck canvas and tough as nails. It only cost £90 shipped, and no customs or fees were paid, so joke money.
CC3_zpsibofrnxs.jpg

CC4_zpsvgcrzz4f.jpg

Last edited:

A-1

One Too Many
Nice photos! Thank you! As I've said you can't have a better bargain than with Ciano. All these other "heritage" brands, in my eyes, are mostly over expensive.
This actually is almost too cheap I think on the other hand. Haha.

wdw

One Too Many
These are Ciano oxblood jeans I'm wearing there. About 75% of the Gustin price and no customs fees, unlike Gustin. Ciano's problem now is that delivery is at least 3 months, although there's no doubt he does really good work and he's trustworthy.

He's even got some crazy 32oz denim now, but hasn't actually made anything up in it yet. The hope is he'll use that for vests/waistcoats or maybe jackets, as jeans would probably be a step too far.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Okay, these look great. I just ordered a pair of these chinos for myself. One question, though, when you say you sized up a little what do you mean? Waist, length, both? What are your impressions on the posted size chart vs. what was delivered?

A-1

One Too Many
I usually sized down on raw denim as it stretched a lot on the waist. But in these I was afraid they might be too hard to wear when bought too small.
I've chosen my actual waist size and added a centimeter, and taken the other measurements from a good fitting pair of pants and adjusted them. I can't say if they shrink or anything as I've not washed or soaked them yet. I'm not planning on washing them but will be soaking them when in need.
The fabric is durable but quite soft! Not as cardboardy as in some raw denim. It's way easier to break in therefore. It's too warm for summer, except for windy days but great for anything else. They're very heavy when you're holding it in your hands but once you've put them in they're ridiculously comfy.
So just buy your normal waist size with a tiny bit added for comfort, I'd suggest. But Then it's me, and I'm tired of breaking in another pair of raws. I think they should fit and be comfy from day one.
Hope that helps.

- Everything's Collapsing! -

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
I usually sized down on raw denim as it stretched a lot on the waist. But in these I was afraid they might be too hard to wear when bought too small.
I've chosen my actual waist size and added a centimeter, and taken the other measurements from a good fitting pair of pants and adjusted them. I can't say if they shrink or anything as I've not washed or soaked them yet. I'm not planning on washing them but will be soaking them when in need.
The fabric is durable but quite soft! Not as cardboardy as in some raw denim. It's way easier to break in therefore. It's too warm for summer, except for windy days but great for anything else. They're very heavy when you're holding it in your hands but once you've put them in they're ridiculously comfy.
So just buy your normal waist size with a tiny bit added for comfort, I'd suggest. But Then it's me, and I'm tired of breaking in another pair of raws. I think they should fit and be comfy from day one.
Hope that helps.

- Everything's Collapsing! -

Thank you A-1. Yes, this does help a lot. I did exactly that when ordering. I took measurements from a good fitting pair of jeans and tried my best to choose the size that was closest to them. I wish I could bring myself to wearing the same jeans/pants over and over for several weeks on end, but I can't (or at least I haven't been able to yet). I am in Germany right now, too, and I have noticed people I work with wearing the same pants almost every day here, and sometimes the same shirt 2-3 days in a row. I guess I was spoiled growing up, but I am accustomed to a clean, fresh, pair of pants/jeans (preferably warm and straight from the dryer :) ) each day. This may be why I have never really been able to get that cool rugged-look of seasoned raw denim. I am always too low on the seasoning. I may try it again, though, just wear them hang them up and wear them again. I would love to own 'that pair' of jeans/pants one day that have that beloved vintage look.

Last edited:

A-1

One Too Many
Hi tnjyoung,
Nah, I think it’s quite normal to be accustomed to that. Most of us grow up like that. I think today it’s even more common than in the past.
To me it’s not really that I like a freshly washed pair of pants so much but rather that I like the variation in my garderobe. I’m bored quite easily, so I always liked the change. Even some raw denim pants of some quality brands haven’t changed that because they took on smell after some wear. And after the wash they have never been the same again, in my eyes.
Actually, I think it was my first pair of black denim by Left Field which changed it for me. Even after a year and one wash they were still stiff (not in an uncomfy way) and felt really great!
As for now, I’m changing between the Ciano Farmer and a pair of RgT black SKs (bigger fan of black denim than indigo as it doesn’t smell as quickly) while I am wearing the black denim very rarely. The Ciano is just way more comfy to wear.
I’ve been wearing the Ciano and an Indigofera Norris shirt for the past 4 months straight with the exception of really warm days.
It’s actually quite nice to not think to much about your clothes in the morning.

A victim of his own success. But he's delivering, and delivering great gear from the posts I've seen. Hopefully at some point, he can grow his production and cut the times down. I reckon that 99% of the guys ordering from him have enough gear in their closets to hold them over, if only barely so ;)

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
I have not posted in a while but I wanted to mention my experience. I have had two pairs of jeans, a pair of chinos and a third pair of jeans on the way. Ciano is great to deal with and has been more than reliable with me. I had intended to post some pictures but will wait until the new pair come as Ciano has come up with something nice for me. Well worth the wait and much better than my LVC. Gustin were a bust for me as I could not get the pair I ordered over my knees.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Have you written him?
Yes. About three times since September. I just recently emailed him again, but in his previous response (from December 7) he told me production on my pants would "start next week". I'm waiting on an answer from my most recent request for an update. When I ordered, back in September, his site said "allow 6-8 weeks"...soon after, and up until now, it has said 11-13 weeks. With an original order date of September 27, I am beyond both of those marks.

Realistically you should expect a 4-6 month wait, as that's what others, including me, have been experiencing.
This gives me hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points