Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Fedora, opencrowned, but not custom-made?

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I am searching for a hat, straight sided, non-tapered, classic look, would be the coolest delivered with opencrown. But this is not a "must". My favourite hat is the Fed IV, and I am looking for a hat like this (price, specs), only with less brim-width.

I saw the Stetson "Nostalgia", which is unfortunately not produced anymore. But THIS is the hat, I want to have. Is there another label, which is selling hats like these?

By the way: anyone knows this? -> http://www.qualityhats.com/nostalgia.htm Looks not very attractive to me...

Regards, Arne

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Arne, I believe that the hat in your link is the Stetson Nostalgia, certainly the colours listed are Stetson shades.

Your next best bet for a new open crown hat that I know of is the Christy Swerford, as made exclusively for Top Secret Hats but I think today is the last day they will take orders so you don't have long to make up your mind!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
My favourite hat is the Fed IV, and I am looking for a hat like this (price, specs), only with less brim-width.

If that's what you're looking for then buy a Fed IV and cut down the brim and sand the edge. It's easy to do.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
I thought about that, the problem is, that the curve of the brim is not very much on feds. So it just not look like a lesser brim hat then.

I have my Fed4 cutdown to not be a dimensional brim, not sure what you are referring to about the curve of the brim.
How less brim-width are you desiring? The flange of the brim can support a thinner brim but I'd not go less that 2 1/2" inches personally.
Open crown, classic looing, non-tapered, straight-sided is what folks here at the Lounge are into but are not commercially viable = see Nostalgia history.
Also see story of the modern version of the Strat we tried for. Sam at EA did get us a run of the Campdraft with thinner brim because it has a crown like you desire.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
I could show pics of the brim-type I am referring, but I am not sure, if I am allowed to post pics of other users here...

"I have my Fed4 cutdown to not be a dimensional brim"

-> I think I cant do it by myself. And to send the hat from Australia to America or whereever, just to cut it down... Expensive again. Thats why I search for the commercial way.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
By curve of the brim I think you mean the flanging of the brim. That can be changed as well if you prefer a higher flange (typical of, for instance, the U.S. market 1950s Borsalini).
Feel free to re-post other Loungers' pics. Take a look around, members here do it all the time. Of course it's always nice to refer to the original poster.

Cutting down and sanding a brim really is not difficult at all. If you do a search, Josh (Joshbru3) posted a comprehensive how-to-do on the topic some time ago.

Edit: Here is a short version:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...aw-brim-edge&p=1416778&viewfull=1#post1416778

I second gtdean's recommendation of a 2.5" all around for the Fed IV.

Last edited:

luke

New in Town
I'm totally with you on that Erehwon. Have been after an open crown hat to the same specs as you with a 2"-2.25" brim for a while. Want it in grey. Have thought about cutting down a Adventurer or Swerford but also worried about the flange. Like to have mine snapped upwards! Vintage hats on Ebay or Etsy never seem to be in my size (59cm). What to do....

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
When i saw the Stetson "Nostalgia" a few days ago, I was jumping around in joy. It's a shame. Thank you guys for the term "flange". Thats what i ment! ;)

With the Fed IV, I am sure about my true size and the quality of these hats. Would be so cool to see these hats with less brim width and more flanged brims.

luke

New in Town
Yeah I totally agree. Don't really dig too wide a brim personally. Think that it would look too flat if it was cut down to the specs I was after....

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Any place that cleans and blocks hats would be able to re-flange the brim(and perhaps the trimming as well). Other German Loungers might be able to help you out depending on your specific location.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
It's easy for a hatter with a flange to do, not so easy without the proper equipment. But yes, a reflange is pretty simple. They pop the hat into the flange, some steam, and iron, let it set, Viola.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Going back to your first post, Arne... I have dealt with Quality Hats before, and everything went well. That is a Stetson Nostalgia (their last). If I needed another gray hat I would have grabbed it long ago. Most of what they sell are Stetsons.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Could someone do me a favour and call this Shop? It's a bit difficult for me as I am living in Europe. But you guys can call them without costs, right? Would be a big help for me.

I need to know if their hats come true size, if I have got 59 cm, if I should take the 7 3/8".

If they ship to Europe (Germany).

How much it would cost to ship.

Could anyone help me? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui