Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Hollywood Kiss

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The screen kiss is a moment of high drama and great symbolism in classical Hollywood. It was the moment when the orchestra soared and the camera tracked in for a beautifully lit close-up of the hero and heroine becoming 'one'. Those Hollywood screen kisses offer a highly stylized romantic view of relationships which is lost in the present open and frank sexual climate.

Do you have a favorite screen kiss that is etched in your mind and speaks to your soul?

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Indeed! Several! These are kisses that will always stay w/ me and which continue to give me chills:

Rear Window-My absolute favorite screen entrance of all time. THe way that we see Grace Kelly's face coming TOWARD us (brilliant direction, Mr Hitchcock!) first, and then the way the camera settles lazily on that fantastic first kiss. Topping it all of with the slow and sultry journey to the lamps as she turns them on...'Lisa...Carol...Fremont'. Absolutely perfect.

On The Waterfront-the kiss is somewhat provocative, mainly because Catholic-Schooled Eva Marie Saint is in her nightgown, but also because Brando basically forces himself on her. Does that make it any less romantic? Absolutely not...*sigh*

The Diary of Anne Frank-The kiss between Richard Beymer and Millie Perkins is especially memorable because, not only do we know that the couple is doomed, but because it is painfully sweet and beautifully filmed.

Sayonara-Another Marlon Brando kiss...heh heh. There is a very brief kiss between he and Miko Taka midway through the film that speaks volumes. Brando's character, Lloyd, makes a slurping sound at the end of it. That sounds crass, but it communicates the comfort of their relationship in a very profound way. :)

That's all for now but I will definitely be adding more along the way...

NicknNora

A-List Customer
These were good ones.

0.jpg

article-1142499-037BE6B7000005DC-246_306x423.jpg

2497591839_8f418ce846.jpg

klind65

One of the Regulars
Well, I thoroughly prefer the classic Hollywood style clinches to what they offer today ( I guess it's the same as it was in the 80's for I haven't watched anything made after 1960 since then). I remember as a little girl how those classic kisses used to send chills up my spine - and still do! They were/are tremendously effective - and they were always strategically placed in the narrative so as to serve as the apogee to the building cresendo of emotion/ lust/desire what have you...additionally, they allowed a space for the imagination of the viewer unlike modern fare which leaves no space for anything! :D
But I divagate....my favorites are such in quantity as to amass a book, and I'll probably think of many more later, but to start -
1. Gone With the Wind
2. Razor's Edge
3. The Dark Corner
4. Born to be Bad
5. Clash by Night
6. The Kiss
7. Flesh and the Devil
8. Splendour in the Grass
9. Summertime
10 Blood and Sand
11.Goodbye Again
12. Out of the Past
13. Imitation of Life
14.Blue Gardenia
15. Angel Face
16. The More the Merrier
17. My Best Girl

....and many more. In fact , I have long wondered if there exists some kind of film compilation of "great screen kisses" or something to that effect. Nothing lubricious or lurid mind you, simply a collection of the best clinches from the classics? Anyone hear of such a thing? :)

NicknNora

A-List Customer
klind65 said:
I think it is from "Notorious".

You are correct. It was Notorious. And that kiss was notorious too. Here is some interesting trivia about "The Kiss":

The famous kiss scene between Alicia and Devlin (Cary Grant) occurs at Alicia's apartment in Rio. It starts on the balcony and moves into the apartment where Dev makes a phone call while the kissing scene continues. The reason that it is "famous" is because it flouted then-current film code regulations that restricted the length of kisses to only a couple of seconds -- each kiss stays within the code regulation, but the entire kissing scene is approximately three minutes long.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
LisaFreemontSt said:
Indeed! Several! These are kisses that will always stay w/ me and which continue to give me chills:

Rear Window-My absolute favorite screen entrance of all time. THe way that we see Grace Kelly's face coming TOWARD us (brilliant direction, Mr Hitchcock!) first, and then the way the camera settles lazily on that fantastic first kiss. Topping it all of with the slow and sultry journey to the lamps as she turns them on...'Lisa...Carol...Fremont'. Absolutely perfect.

On The Waterfront-the kiss is somewhat provocative, mainly because Catholic-Schooled Eva Marie Saint is in her nightgown, but also because Brando basically forces himself on her. Does that make it any less romantic? Absolutely not...*sigh*

The Diary of Anne Frank-The kiss between Richard Beymer and Millie Perkins is especially memorable because, not only do we know that the couple is doomed, but because it is painfully sweet and beautifully filmed.

Sayonara-Another Marlon Brando kiss...heh heh. There is a very brief kiss between he and Miko Taka midway through the film that speaks volumes. Brando's character, Lloyd, makes a slurping sound at the end of it. That sounds crass, but it communicates the comfort of their relationship in a very profound way. :)

That's all for now but I will definitely be adding more along the way...

I love your avatar!

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Carlisle Blues said:
The screen kiss is a moment of high drama and great symbolism in classical Hollywood. It was the moment when the orchestra soared and the camera tracked in for a beautifully lit close-up of the hero and heroine becoming 'one'. Those Hollywood screen kisses offer a highly stylized romantic view of relationships which is lost in the present open and frank sexual climate.

Do you have a favorite screen kiss that is etched in your mind and speaks to your soul?

You have a nice new avatar too. Very Nice.:)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do not what it is about this scene in "That Thing You Do" maybe it's young love, maybe it is truly finding that one who lights you soul with the beauty of the ages or just maybe the romantic in me, but every time I see this movie I wait for this scene then I realize why I saw it for the 50th time.

Guy: Before you go, let me ask you one question.
Faye: Shoot.
Guy: When was the last time you were decently kissed? I mean truly, truly good and kissed?
Faye: Dave Gammelgard...New Year's Eve...'61.
Guy: Okay.

motp03.jpg

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Elaina said:
The kiss in the cottage on "The Quiet Man" and "Gone with the Wind", of course.

I apparently have a always had a thing for strong men.

It's not the one you mentioned but here's a kiss scene from The Quiet Man.

John%2520Wayne%2520%26%2520Maureen%2520O%27Hara.jpg

We love that movie. In a couple of scenes in the movie Maureen O'Hara uses the word "squint". In one of them she is calling her brother a little squint. We picked it up and starting calling each other squint as a nickname. We have great fun with that one because most people have no idea what we're talking about. lol

This is the only photo I could find by the cottage.

sean_and_mary_kate_kiss.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot