Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning a waxed Pike Bros N1

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hi All,

I bought a beige waxed N1 earlier in the year. Unfortunately the indigo dye from my jeans and general grime has gotten into to waistband area and onto the sleeve underarms where they may touch other surfaces. I've tried the cold water cleaning routine which was a bit of a fail. Does anyone know of a more effective way of cleaning them?

regards

Garry

I have the regular one and it picks up my selvedge blue on the sleeves and waist. But...while I'm normally the guy that washes everything, I have taken advice and decided to let my N-1 get a used look. I've seen some out and about - some vintage WWII era jackets and it really does look great with some grunge. Maybe not the answer you want, but I'd imagine that the waxed iteration brings up other complications as well. My 2¢, let it go...

tonypaj

Practically Family
Mine is the dark olive one. I washed it. The result was less wax, it shrunk a bit, and the texture of the lining changed to more coarse. Not a big deal, it's still plenty waterproof, it shrunk just to a fit I wanted. But the lining may be a worry. If it fits right, do nothing would be my advice. That's a work jacket anyway, nothing fancy...

I also washed a non-waxed version. Same issue with the lining. Gave it to a friend.

Edward

Bartender
I'd treat it the same as a Barbour or any other waxed jacket: f it needs a clean, a professional dry cleaning by a place able to do that, and a rewaxing (either professional, or done at home). I don't think there's a shortcut to that.

tonypaj

Practically Family
The wax is different from Barbour. I don't know how to explain it, maybe Barbour standard stuff is "waxier". And the N-1 has a heavy lining, whereas my Barbours do not, which changes the combo.

Then again, I wash everything. And cannot be bothered to rewax. I bought my dryzabone duster 1989, it's just worn, washed a couple of times. If it rains a lot, I get wet... Then again, to get proper rain proof stuff, that can be worn without getting sweaty, go for modern fabrics. They were invented for a purpose.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I think the best thing you can do is leave it and forget about it.
If you wear raw denim you will get bleeding, most of my jackets with a non black lining show some indigo.
If you start worrying about it you will never wear the jacket, just let it do it's thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff