Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning My old Stetson Strat ?

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
I posted this pic earlier in the thread on fedora vs. trilby. My old stratoliner has gotten a little dusty over the years and I'm wondering what the best route is to take to get it looking spiffy again. Is this something I can do myself or is it best to let a pro work on in it? Thanks from a newbie for any guidance...
standard.jpg

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
Sorry Clyde R. I really don't know about cleaning hat felt, but I couldn't help to comment on what-a-COOL Stratoliner that is !!!
That must be a dated picture because it sure doesn't look like it needs cleaning.

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
D.Hats, Thanks for the kind words on the old lid. It looks ok in the pic, but up close you can see it has a fine coating of dust all over it. It's really not terrible, but I'd like to freshen it up a bit and I'm concerned that over time the dust might be harmful.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
A good brushing!!

All it needs is a good brushing. I have a small compressor so I blow off as much dirt/dust as I can then I just brush it. Looks good as new!
Furthermore, brush your hat in a counter-clockwise direction, against the lay of the nap, so that the felt is worked well and dust is best removed. Enjoy your hat!

Brush's one for dark hats and one for light colors.

http://www.getahaton.com/proddetail.php?prod=HB

mthatter said:
Clyde, Now if you really needed that hat renovated half a century ago your favorite renovator probably would have had these on hand to do the job.

Img_4525.jpg

Img_4538.jpg

John
Rocky Mountain Hat Company

Oh man! :eek: I have been wanting a Stetson Three way for a long time. The closest I have come is the box. Wheeee! :rolleyes:
Thanks for posting those. They are great.

Regards to all,

J

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the tips on cleaning my old lid. With a combination of gentle vacuum power and a little brushing the old strat looks like a million. :)

varga49

One of the Regulars
Oh and By the way

Clyde R. said:
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the tips on cleaning my old lid. With a combination of gentle vacuum power and a little brushing the old strat looks like a million. :)

I was told to use a dark brush on a dark hat and of course a light color brush on the lighter colors. Thought I'd pass that along to ya :cheers1:

Fedora

Vendor
Oh man! I have been wanting a Stetson Three way for a long time. The closest I have come is the box. Wheeee!

And nice to discover it was made using a number 59 block and an 882 flange. You got anymore of those sort of pics mthatter? They are very valuable for folks wanting to replicate the exact shape and brim curl when replicating. Great stuff!! Thanks. Fedora

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto