1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Cleaning White Fur.

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by Twinkle, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Twinkle

Twinkle Familiar Face

Does anyone have any good tips?

I bought a 50’s swing coat in coral wool and it has white fur cuffs. The cuffs are removable and I took them off to have the coat dry cleaned (cleaner wouldn’t take the fur).

The bottom of the cuff is a little worn but mostly the pile of the fur is knotted and matted due to wear (this is on the underside so it wont show when worn), the top is still quite good with long pelts of fur.

I checked and none of the fur is migrating from the skin, would it be safe to wash this by hand and dry naturally or would I risk damaging the fur beyond all belief?

I did think about dry shampoo for hair, I don’t know if this would work…

Any other tips for cleaning white fur at home?

Thanks in advance

Estelle

2. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

wondering this myself. she never got an answer it seems.

3. crwritt

crwritt One Too Many

I've read articles that recommend keeping it dry, and using cornstarch, cover the item in corn starch,
    work it in, shake off the excess and vaccuum to remove the rest of the cornstarch.I have also read that
    furriers clean fur coats in a big bin of cedar sawdust.
    There is also a company that sells fur cleaning products.
    http://www.lanasfur.com/?gclid=CMvMyKXN5KUCFcnc4Aodgxjr0Q

I would not get natural fur wet, but have had great results washing modern artificial fur
    in cold water, delicate setting, oxyclean if needed, gently brush out the fur and shake it,
    hang to dry.Not sure about vintage artificial fur.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  4. MissNathalieVintage

MissNathalieVintage A-List Customer

Here is a video on how to clean fur