Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing on my sidecar...

ron521

One of the Regulars
The HD Sportster is a genuine "new-old" bike that can easily be customized to resemble any era back as far as the 30's. Aftermarket suppliers such as Dennis Kirk and V-Twin Manufacturing offer seats, fenders, fuel tanks, and exhaust systems in dozens, sometimes hundreds, of styles.
My own 1991 Sportster is built to resemble the 883cc XLCH model of 1965, but if I wanted to, I could make into a 1957 XL replica, or even a 1939 WL.
The nice thing about the Sportster, especially the newer models with the Evolution motors, is that they are reliable and durable, capable of at least 50,000 miles between engine overhauls, and that they have the power and stamina to run on the Interstate, if desired.
IMHO, the Schott Perfecto is the definitive jacket to wear on a vintage bike, created in 1928, and what most riders in the 30's, 40's, and 50's would have worn if they could afford it.
Not until the Hollister incident and the subsequent Marlon Brando film did the Perfecto style have a negative connotation in the minds of the public, but this made it appeal even more to youths, even those who didn't own motorcycles. After the early 60's, it lost some popularity for a few years, as fashions in clothing and motorcycles changed, but was still popular enough to generate many copies from other companies such as Excelled, Brooks, and Harley Davidson themselves. I personally purchased some of these copies in the mid 70's, and again in the late 80's, finally acquiring Schott products in 1993.
A 1973 Cycle Guide article about the state of the sport during the '50s claimed that while riders of imported motorcycles might wear letterman jackets and chinos, riders of Harley and Indian almost always wore the black leather jacket and jeans (clothing that matched the tough, rugged character of the machinery).
The Perfecto really does work well, especially if you unsnap the lapels and zip it all the way up.
Other appropriate jackets representative of the era would have to include the Magnoli "Open Road", various jackets by Aero, Gibson and Barnes, and reproduction G-1 and A-2 jackets.

Edward

Bartender
Dudleydoright said:
Aye Sir, it is indeed a W650. A truly great bike.

Helmet is a Bell RT, goggles are Davida T2s and the jacket is also by Davida but about 3 sizes too big ! Boots are period Lewis Leathers ones.

I also use original period Everoak helmets on occasion.

Dave

How do you find using those open-face style helmets? Myself, I much prefer their retro look (especially the older, leather-sided models), but I'd be wary of giving up the extra facial proteciton of a more modern style. Not that I'm anything more than the very occasional pillion passenger, but still.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Personal freedom

Hi Edward,
Fair question. My rationale is as follows:

A white helmet reduces the chance of an accident by 24% Bonus ! :)

I pick where I ride and when. The bike is a toy if you will. I don't intentionally ride in the rain any more. And never in icey weather / winter.

My bike is not a crotch rocket and I'm not a hot headed person. I have nothing to prove and no reason to show off.

I ride VERY defensively.

Using an open faced helmet means that going much above 80 mph starts to make things interesting so generally I don't. The higher the speed, the higher the chance of not being able to avoid a problem and the consequences of not avoiding it FAR worse.

The extra visibility & hearing I get with an open facer improves my situational awareness massively and as a bonus makes me feel much more connected to the countryside I'm riding through.

I have the option to wear goggles or sunglasses (impact rated ones of course) and can wear a neckerchief or a scarf or a leather facemask or nothing depending on weather / bugs / anticipated speed etc.

So, I've mitigated the risks to a level I PERSONALLY find acceptable and am part of a fairly rare breed of rider. Other open face wearers ALWAYS wave to each other.

I don't wear armour in my clothing either. My choice. In built up areas commuting I might but I don't do that.

I'm a retro guy and I take it with all the drawbacks that vintage things bring. It's part of the fun !

I should say though Edward that the pudding basin ones aer illegal for use onthe road unless you have an original with the BS kitemark. Personally I find those ones don't give me the minimum level of protection I like.

Safe riding,
Dave

tonypaj

Practically Family
Edward said:
How do you find using those open-face style helmets? Myself, I much prefer their retro look (especially the older, leather-sided models), but I'd be wary of giving up the extra facial proteciton of a more modern style. Not that I'm anything more than the very occasional pillion passenger, but still.

This man has got such an ugly face that a few broken bones could only be considered an improvement. And the skull is so thick that anything it would hit would get damaged beyond belief. He is safe, believe me...

Nice bike, Dave. I like the goggles, as well.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
I might've known .......

Hey Paj,
I mighta known you'd be like me and have nothing better to do with your working hours than frequent here lol

Would like to argue with your logic re my thicj skull but you can't argue with the truth. :rolleyes:

I got the jacket yesterday BTW. It's GREAT. The R.A.K will happen this weekend.

Cheers buddy,
Dave

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Dudleydoright said:
Hi Edward,

I pick where I ride and when. The bike is a toy if you will. I don't intentionally ride in the rain any more. And never in icey weather / winter.

My bike is not a crotch rocket and I'm not a hot headed person. I have nothing to prove and no reason to show off.

I ride VERY defensively.

Using an open faced helmet means that going much above 80 mph starts to make things interesting so generally I don't. The higher the speed, the higher the chance of not being able to avoid a problem and the consequences of not avoiding it FAR worse.

The extra visibility & hearing I get with an open facer improves my situational awareness massively and as a bonus makes me feel much more connected to the countryside I'm riding through.

I have the option to wear goggles or sunglasses (impact rated ones of course) and can wear a neckerchief or a scarf or a leather facemask or nothing depending on weather / bugs / anticipated speed etc.

So, I've mitigated the risks to a level I PERSONALLY find acceptable and am part of a fairly rare breed of rider. Other open face wearers ALWAYS wave to each other.

I don't wear armour in my clothing either. My choice. In built up areas commuting I might but I don't do that.

I'm a retro guy and I take it with all the drawbacks that vintage things bring. It's part of the fun !

I should say though Edward that the pudding basin ones aer illegal for use onthe road unless you have an original with the BS kitemark. Personally I find those ones don't give me the minimum level of protection I like.

Safe riding,
Dave

Good post. This is the "ride your own ride" philosophy. Most riders I hang with don't give each other crap about what gear they choose to ride with or without.

Edward

Bartender
Dudleydoright said:
Hi Edward,

Visibility issue, I presume?

So, I've mitigated the risks to a level I PERSONALLY find acceptable and am part of a fairly rare breed of rider.

Yes, that makes sense. If ever I was in a position to afford a bike as an indulgence, that's the way I'd be about it too - a recreational ride, rather than a means of daily transport.

Ah, interesting. I wonder who the main customers are for those, then.... I suppose maybe guys riding at closed events?

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
I would say so Edward. Although (and I stand to be corrected on this) I believe that some other countries in europe and a number of states across 'The pond' do allow them.

To me the most vulnerable part of the top of the spine has no protection and that's the problem. Nor is the lining as impact absorbant. Hence they are very close to the head fitting wise.

Dave

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
If I had a Brit bike, this is the look I'd be shooting for, but it's more 1960s:

go_modern_go_triumph.jpg

Actually, I have that look occasionally even without a bike.
Ah, that silhouette looks familiar!

1125091324.jpg

That's exactly what I love about my Scrambler, the classic lines!

I tried wearing my A-2 as the weather has turned cooler, but after the sleeves slipped up going through what I call Freeze-My-A$$-Off Valley one early morning, I quit wearing it! The two inches of my wrists that were exposed due to sleeve creep were so cold they ached!

So I switched over to a much better fitting jacket that I like quite a bit:

rvrrdrdstrlthr-2T.jpg

River Road Roadster

Not only is it a great fit, it is actually comfortable when I'm not on my bike, so I can wear it any time. It looks black, but it is really a dark brown.

gasoline cowboys sweaters

here's me and my mate Clint and my wife (on the green 41 sports scout) on our bikes, the blue race sweaters are similar to the sweater Ed Kretz campaigned on during the 46-47 season, the Indian red and ivory sweater is the more common competition sweater Indian used.
indiansweater.jpg

CIMG4732.jpg

indblu_06.jpg

CIMG4727.jpg

flat is where its at
cheers Dave
www.gasolinecowboys.com

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Ed

Interesting about Ed Kretz"s sweater! Ed Kretz Jr. is a member of our club, I have been to his house, real nice guy! The Sportster reminds me, several years ago I was going to put an EVO engine in my Featherbed, Slimline so it would not fit! I was talking to one of the Dresda employes, and mentioned I was looking for a 50s motorcycle, he said, "you already have a 50s bike, it's called a 1998 Sportster." Love the W650, I think it looks a lot better then my 2004 Bonneville, and a kick start, damn Hinkly! There are a lot of great W650 based customs out there, whish they would come up for sale at a cheep price.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
W650 The 'Dub'.

I've only had this Dub for a few months but love it. She rides sweet as a nut but there's a few things I have planned for this winter to get her to where I'll be totally happy with her.

First off I'm going to get some smaller but brighter indicators / signals fitted. Front ones where they are now and rear ones to just below and behind the seat.

Then a smaller number plate and tailight to be moved higher up the rear mudguard (fender).

Then a custom made stainless steel muffler / exhaust. A siamese / 2 into 1 that will run just above the left cover like the old Triumph Trophies from the 50's.

Will eventually get better quality rear shocks and progressive springs for the front forks but that can wait.

That should get me to where I should be totally happy !

Dave

Big Baby Macoy

New in Town
Good Evening Mr. Gasoline Cowboy

Quick out your club house website, I throughly enjoyed it. The club clothes were at once both Classic and Unique. You don't have to dress like a leather from head to toe, sleeveless t shirt and more jewelry then a fortunate teller at corny island. I just glanced though the web site but I plan on returning and read up more on all the tons of information you guys provided........Happy Riding
gasoline cowboy said:
here's me and my mate Clint and my wife (on the green 41 sports scout) on our bikes, the blue race sweaters are similar to the sweater Ed Kretz campaigned on during the 46-47 season, the Indian red and ivory sweater is the more common competition sweater Indian used.
indiansweater.jpg

CIMG4732.jpg

indblu_06.jpg

CIMG4727.jpg

flat is where its at
cheers Dave
www.gasolinecowboys.com

Edward

Bartender
I lov those Indian sweaters; eventually, I'd like to pick up something along those lines forf casual wear. It's a look I've fancied in a big way since seeing the one Anthony Hopkins sported in The World's Fastest Indian. Although sixties-set, the sweater he wore was very much in the style of those late 40s numbers (presumably - as the character he was playing - or real person, I should say, as it is based on a true story - was an older gentleman who would have gotten into bikes in the 40s - it was meant to be an original he had held onto).

ron521

One of the Regulars
Actually, the character Hopkins was playing had gotten into bikes in the 1920's, and had owned the bike he brought to the US since that time.
That's right, he had already owned the same motorcycle for approximately 40 years when he took it to Bonneville, and ran 200 mph on it.
So he could easily have purchased the Indian sweater new, during Indian's golden era, and still owned it years after they closed their doors.

As a side note, Indian's demise can be traced directly to poor decision making, specifically, wasting money on non-profitable projects such as outboard motors and later, the disasterous British inspired vertical twins.

Harley Davidson already knew, it doesn't pay to copy the competition, especially if your copy isn't as good or better than their original.

While their V-twins were fairly robust and durable, Indian's vertical twin was definitely NOT as good as the British originals, particularly in terms of stamina, when 12 out of 12 Indians failed to even finish an important national race in 1949, almost all of them sidelined by catastrophic engine failures.

Harley's answer to the British invasion was the model K, a modernized and lighter weight 45 inch V-twin with unit construction, swingarm rear suspension (both years ahead of most of the British bikes), telescopic front forks, hand clutch and foot shift. The K eventually evolved into the Sportster, still the most popular bike in the Harley lineup.

Had Indian brought back their very popular pre-war Sport Scout, and similarly modernized it, Indian might well still be with us.

Although I now live in the States, I was born and bred in NZ and bought my first Indian when I was 20, so I got stopped at every second service station and got told all sorts of things about Burt Munro. he was an amazing rider/racer unlike Anthony Hopkin's depiction of him falling off all the time, if you see the documentary Roger Donaldson made about him in 1971 "Burt Munro: Offerings to the God of Speed" you can see Burt knew his way around a motorcycle .
This is pure conjecture but Burt Munro was also as poor as a church mouse and was probably given the sweater by Sam Pierce, Rollie Free or Floyd Clymer all longtime Indian Dealers and all of whom used to help him out when he made the trips to the States in the 60's. Also competition sweaters as riding apparel was mainly an American thing that didn't really happen in NZ or elsewhere.

cheers Dave
www.gasolinecowboys.com

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hi Dave!

Love what you guys are doing! Sadly, I'm a Harley man (and harley sweaters) but the line is lovely none-the-less and you guys pull it off well.

I tell you, I wish I lived out West. Virtually no true vintage motorcycling around here. Mostly more rockabilly and a little 60s vibe if anything- and of course the true and wannabe 1-percenter clones. But no 1940s, no sweaters- that's too square... :mad:

All the best!

Clint

I dunno Clint,
You sound like a trailblazer just trying to get out, theres nothing 90 degrees about a vintage race sweater, they look cool as all get out and it's sure as hell a little more interesting than the "individuals" dressed in identical black outlaw leathers.
Though I ride Indians, we do full custom range of motortogs.
don.jpg
[/IMG]
clint.jpg

cheers Dave

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hi Dave,

You are right- nothing looks cooler than the sweater. But the outlaw look... well, its easy and conformist. So therefore, they know they're tough...

Anyway, when you start making black horsehide breeches for something under $700 I'll be a quick sell- like in the more reasonable $400-500 range. I have YET to find a company making them for less than that. Langlitz and Golden Age Wear are over $700; Aero Leather wouldn't touch them. I have an original pair of BUCO breeches in my size, but doubt they'd hold-up in a wreck today.

Likewise, you start making the various incarnations of the typical hat of the period- the "classy cap" or "Brando" or whatever- and they'll move!

A man can wish... [huh]

Take Care,
Clint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana