Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing on my sidecar...

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Harley

IMG_3025.jpg
IMG_3019.jpg
Your Harley comment reminded me, in 1998 I finally got
around to buying a Sportster. At the same time I was looking through their
cloths when I found this shirt, it was less then $10. I found out it was a pour
seller, not many of the new riders know much about Harley's racing history! The
jacket I won two years ago, they were asking trivia questions, what were
Harley's called in the early days, "Silent Grey Fellows", hard to believe these
days! I won a lot that day, a leather jacket, picnic set, blanket, $100 gift
certificate, and 3 pairs of gloves with no fingers, gave those away. I would
have won more but they banned me from the game, so I gave people around me the
answers. I like these two, because they pay homage to the old grey race collars,
and the new black and orange. I can picture a board track race with Harley,
Indian, Henderson, Cyclone and Flying Merkel, these would have fit in just fine! Old Indians are expensive out here too, whish I had built that Chout a decade ago, sold the parts, the money seemed good at the time!

Edward

Bartender
ron521 said:
Actually, the character Hopkins was playing had gotten into bikes in the 1920's, and had owned the bike he brought to the US since that time.
That's right, he had already owned the same motorcycle for approximately 40 years when he took it to Bonneville, and ran 200 mph on it.
So he could easily have purchased the Indian sweater new, during Indian's golden era, and still owned it years after they closed their doors.

Ah, yes... I remember that now. It was a serious old, antique bike to be running that sort of trial on.

gasoline cowboy said:
Although I now live in the States, I was born and bred in NZ and bought my first Indian when I was 20, so I got stopped at every second service station and got told all sorts of things about Burt Munro. he was an amazing rider/racer unlike Anthony Hopkin's depiction of him falling off all the time, if you see the documentary Roger Donaldson made about him in 1971 "Burt Munro: Offerings to the God of Speed" you can see Burt knew his way around a motorcycle .
This is pure conjecture but Burt Munro was also as poor as a church mouse and was probably given the sweater by Sam Pierce, Rollie Free or Floyd Clymer all longtime Indian Dealers and all of whom used to help him out when he made the trips to the States in the 60's. Also competition sweaters as riding apparel was mainly an American thing that didn't really happen in NZ or elsewhere.

cheers Dave
www.gasolinecowboys.com

Interesting, I suppose all "based on a true story" films change some details; dramatic licence and all that. They certainly did reference how tight money as for him, though - the film did specifically mention that he was sleeping in his car at one point during his first trip to the Flats. Quite a story.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
On the subject -ish ......

Anyone know of a current maker of the old motocross jeans ? You know : the ones with the hip padding and padded knee cups.

I'd love to get a pair of those :)

Dave

Speedster

Practically Family
Dudleydoright said:
On the subject -ish ......

Anyone know of a current maker of the old motocross jeans ? You know : the ones with the hip padding and padded knee cups.

I'd love to get a pair of those :)

Dave

No, regretably not.

But if you find a source, please let us know. I have been looking for the same thing for years.

Still have my old Halvarssons in goatskin. Would like to have a new pair that better suits the more padded body i have developed over the years.

mattfink

Practically Family
gasoline cowboy said:
here's me and my mate Clint and my wife (on the green 41 sports scout) on our bikes, the blue race sweaters are similar to the sweater Ed Kretz campaigned on during the 46-47 season, the Indian red and ivory sweater is the more common competition sweater Indian used.
indiansweater.jpg

CIMG4732.jpg

indblu_06.jpg

CIMG4727.jpg

flat is where its at
cheers Dave
www.gasolinecowboys.com

Amazing stuff!!!

quickerNu

New in Town
awesome thread

Very cool thread. Nice to see up revived. I run the parts department at our local Harley dealership. I ride a V-rod (VRSCR Street Rod) so vintage bike gear doesn't look right on it. I am eying a vintage project bike next, though....

mrfish

New in Town
A pic of my main jacket. A pity there's so much macho silliness associated with motorbikes and black leather. I wear it because that's what we wore, way back when. Anyway, it's a Belstaff with the logo removed. Modernish. I've removed the Belstaff logo because they wouldn't compensate me for the advertisement. Not that I asked, but I've a feeling they would've scoffed in a scoffingly scoffish fashion.

bikeridedec27008.jpg

The canvas strap belongs to the courier bag I was lugging. The head, alas, belongs to me.

mrfish

Trickeration

Practically Family
Just wanted to let you folks know that while the Oddball motorcycle gear site has been down since John Sliskovich's passing, his good friend Paul and Paul's wife Amber have continued selling some great clothing for the vintage biker. You can find them at...

http://www.libertymotorwear.com/

They also sell on ebay under the seller name libertymotorwear.

John is missed by so many. He was a dear friend.
Rest in peace John.
657106876l.jpg
l38ab542633ecd3cdd7ee74.jpg

mattfink

Practically Family
Trickeration said:
Just wanted to let you folks know that while the Oddball motorcycle gear site has been down since John Sliskovich's passing, his good friend Paul and Paul's wife Amber have continued selling some great clothing for the vintage biker. You can find them at...

http://www.libertymotorwear.com/

They also sell on ebay under the seller name libertymotorwear.

John is missed by so many. He was a dear friend.
Rest in peace John.
657106876l.jpg
l38ab542633ecd3cdd7ee74.jpg

I have two of their sweaters....great stuff!!

Blue Max

New in Town
Hi guys and girls,

I need some stylish clothes for riding my Dnepr K750 from 1960 (like BMW R71 from 1939)

Not mine, but it matches mine pretty good except color:

k750.jpg

That´s what I plan to get:

classic_prestige1_1_300.gif

hand-rallye1-300.gif

I also am looking for vintage breeches for my horseriding boots.

Any ideas?
What do you think?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This will give you a ton of information. Merging yours into that one. You will be re-directed... (and assimilated - ha).

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

CeeCeeFree

New in Town
I am loving all the old photos on this thread! Thank you all SO much for sharing!

My sweetie and I have modern motorcycles, one of which we run for land speed records on the Salt Flats at Bonneville. My heart is with the vintage bikes, though and I always love when I see vintage bikes and their owners in vintage attire at some of the events we are lucky enough to attend.

The AMA and FIM don't let folks run on the salt flats with vintage race gear, but I do see some of it in the pits and at the social events surrounding the speed trials. Last year while in staging (where one is often stuck for hours before a run) we met a gent who was 83 years old and had been running various vehicles at Bonneville for 50 years. Talking to him was one of the high points of our season. He had some amazing older race leathers on. Still within regulation, though, so they couldn't have been *too* old.
I coveted them! (Although coveting another person's race leathers is sort of a bad idea because they do get nasty and sweaty on the salt in 100 degree temps!) :)

I'm going to try and make it a point to get some pics of any of the vintage attire I see at some of our upcoming shows. Hopefully I'll have some photos to add here soon!

-Christine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider