Clothing on my sidecar...

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by cbrunt, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Harley

[​IMG][​IMG] Your Harley comment reminded me, in 1998 I finally got
    around to buying a Sportster. At the same time I was looking through their
    cloths when I found this shirt, it was less then $10. I found out it was a pour
    seller, not many of the new riders know much about Harley's racing history! The
    jacket I won two years ago, they were asking trivia questions, what were
    Harley's called in the early days, "Silent Grey Fellows", hard to believe these
    days! I won a lot that day, a leather jacket, picnic set, blanket, $100 gift
    certificate, and 3 pairs of gloves with no fingers, gave those away. I would
    have won more but they banned me from the game, so I gave people around me the
    answers. I like these two, because they pay homage to the old grey race collars,
    and the new black and orange. I can picture a board track race with Harley,
    Indian, Henderson, Cyclone and Flying Merkel, these would have fit in just fine! Old Indians are expensive out here too, whish I had built that Chout a decade ago, sold the parts, the money seemed good at the time!

2. Edward

Edward Bartender

Ah, yes... I remember that now. It was a serious old, antique bike to be running that sort of trial on.

Interesting, I suppose all "based on a true story" films change some details; dramatic licence and all that. They certainly did reference how tight money as for him, though - the film did specifically mention that he was sleeping in his car at one point during his first trip to the Flats. Quite a story.

3. Dudleydoright

Dudleydoright A-List Customer

On the subject -ish ......

Anyone know of a current maker of the old motocross jeans ? You know : the ones with the hip padding and padded knee cups.

I'd love to get a pair of those :)

Dave

4. Speedster

Speedster Practically Family

No, regretably not.

But if you find a source, please let us know. I have been looking for the same thing for years.

Still have my old Halvarssons in goatskin. Would like to have a new pair that better suits the more padded body i have developed over the years.

5. mattfink

mattfink Practically Family

Amazing stuff!!!

6. John Warr

John Warr Familiar Face

Motorcycle clothing

A pal of mine has a New Hudson about a year younger than this one...

[​IMG]

And one of these to go with it :)

[​IMG]

7. quickerNu

quickerNu New in Town

awesome thread

Very cool thread. Nice to see up revived. I run the parts department at our local Harley dealership. I ride a V-rod (VRSCR Street Rod) so vintage bike gear doesn't look right on it. I am eying a vintage project bike next, though....

8. alden405

alden405 A-List Customer

Dues Ex Machina

These dudes do some really cool custom bikes and also some pretty cool clothes they used to do some excellent jumpers as well

http://www.deus.com.au/shop/

9. mrfish

mrfish New in Town

A pic of my main jacket. A pity there's so much macho silliness associated with motorbikes and black leather. I wear it because that's what we wore, way back when. Anyway, it's a Belstaff with the logo removed. Modernish. I've removed the Belstaff logo because they wouldn't compensate me for the advertisement. Not that I asked, but I've a feeling they would've scoffed in a scoffingly scoffish fashion.

[​IMG]

The canvas strap belongs to the courier bag I was lugging. The head, alas, belongs to me.

mrfish

10. Trickeration

Trickeration Practically Family

Just wanted to let you folks know that while the Oddball motorcycle gear site has been down since John Sliskovich's passing, his good friend Paul and Paul's wife Amber have continued selling some great clothing for the vintage biker. You can find them at...

http://www.libertymotorwear.com/

They also sell on ebay under the seller name libertymotorwear.

John is missed by so many. He was a dear friend.
    Rest in peace John.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. mattfink

I have two of their sweaters....great stuff!!

12. gasoline cowboy

gasoline cowboy Vendor

We recently did a official run of sweaters for the Antique Motorcycle Club of America which we were very proud to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    they came to us because our manufacturer has been doing these sweaters to the original patterns 90 years now.
    cheers Dave
    www.gasolinecowboys.com

13. mattfink

Nice stuff Dave! My friend Kirk got the AMCA sweater for Christmas.

14. Blue Max

Blue Max New in Town

Hi guys and girls,

I need some stylish clothes for riding my Dnepr K750 from 1960 (like BMW R71 from 1939)

Not mine, but it matches mine pretty good except color:

[​IMG]

That´s what I plan to get:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also am looking for vintage breeches for my horseriding boots.

Any ideas?
    What do you think?

15. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

This will give you a ton of information. Merging yours into that one. You will be re-directed... (and assimilated - ha).

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

16. CeeCeeFree

CeeCeeFree New in Town

I am loving all the old photos on this thread! Thank you all SO much for sharing!

My sweetie and I have modern motorcycles, one of which we run for land speed records on the Salt Flats at Bonneville. My heart is with the vintage bikes, though and I always love when I see vintage bikes and their owners in vintage attire at some of the events we are lucky enough to attend.

The AMA and FIM don't let folks run on the salt flats with vintage race gear, but I do see some of it in the pits and at the social events surrounding the speed trials. Last year while in staging (where one is often stuck for hours before a run) we met a gent who was 83 years old and had been running various vehicles at Bonneville for 50 years. Talking to him was one of the high points of our season. He had some amazing older race leathers on. Still within regulation, though, so they couldn't have been *too* old.
    I coveted them! (Although coveting another person's race leathers is sort of a bad idea because they do get nasty and sweaty on the salt in 100 degree temps!) :)

I'm going to try and make it a point to get some pics of any of the vintage attire I see at some of our upcoming shows. Hopefully I'll have some photos to add here soon!

-Christine

17. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

I think the titles got reversed.

18. draws

draws Practically Family

Please PM me and I'll see what I have available.