Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CLX Steerhide vs CLX FQHH - Jacket measurements

jr30

Familiar Face
Hi

They say: CLX Steerhide is stronger but softer than CLX FQHH. Is this correct and how does it work in practice? I've noticed that the fit of a jacket depends heavily on the leather used. My Aero CLX FQHH is stiff and inflexible, despite frequent wear the material has little give.

While my Aero Type 3 Vicenza HH fits well around the waist and hips (bottom/hem), I can hardly close the Aero Half Belt from CLX FQHH, even though both jackets have the same dimensions.

HB.jpg Type3.jpeg

Background:
I have now seen an Aero HB made from CLX Steerhide, which is only slightly larger than the existing one made from CLX FQHH. What can I expect? I want to avoid ordering a jacket that is too big and I am also advised to buy it online if I want an Aero Half Belt.

Thank you!
Best regards, Roman

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
My experience is similar, but I would say that steer breaks in quicker than HH. I have no opinion on which one is "stronger". There's various ways define that, but both are plenty strong and are enough for me. HH has something more of a mystique because it's comparatively rare to see it used in modern jackets, but of the two, I think steer is a great hide and not to be overlooked. It shouldn't be considered as second fiddle. It's grain and drape are outstanding, arguably better than HH, and certainly easier to break in.

I prefer CXL steer! The FQHH Aero jackets I’ve had (while beautiful to look at) weren’t fun for me to wear, due to the hide.

jr30

Familiar Face
Yes, I don't know Steerhide and it sounds very interesting to me.

The only question will be: Is it more "yielding / more flexible" than the stiff FQHH horse? For me it's about finding the right size. I can close / button up the dark brown jacket made of Vicenza leather very easily because of its flexibility and softness. With the natural FQHH I have to hold my breath when try to close the jacket. It doesn't allow any direction - almost like armor ;)

Thank you for your information.

jr30

Familiar Face
My natural Aero HB is thinly lined, the brown Aero Type 3 is also thinly lined with wool. Both have exactly the same measurements in my critical areas (waist, bottom/hem). While the thinner Vicenza leather quickly hugs the body, the FQHH remains an instretchable armor.

The Aero HB of interest is made of CLX Steerhide and has the same size at the chest. It's 1 inch larger at the hips and also 1 inch at the shoulders. I'm wondering if the CLX Steerhide might fit, or do I need to size up?

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Circling back to your existing Aero Half Belt jacket, do you like the fit everywhere (neck, shoulder, armpits, sleeves) except the bottom opening? If this is the case, then I would suggest to just get a customized version of the same jacket with 1 size wider at the bottom opening. It sounds like the stock jacket you've found fits this criteria?

CXL steerhide takes less time to warm up and more pliable out of the box (even when cold). CXL FQHH needs a bit of break in. If you rotate your jackets it's probably best to go with CXL steerhide as it is easier to wear in the rotation. If you wear one jacket every day for the entire season, CXL FQHH would be an equal option.

jr30

Familiar Face
Circling back to your existing Aero Half Belt jacket, do you like the fit everywhere (neck, shoulder, armpits, sleeves) except the bottom opening? If this is the case, then I would suggest to just get a customized version of the same jacket with 1 size wider at the bottom opening. It sounds like the stock jacket you've found fits this criteria?

CXL steerhide takes less time to warm up and more pliable out of the box (even when cold). CXL FQHH needs a bit of break in. If you rotate your jackets it's probably best to go with CXL steerhide as it is easier to wear in the rotation. If you wear one jacket every day for the entire season, CXL FQHH would be an equal option.
Thank you for the information.
A person in the forum told me that if I get the Aero Half Belt in a different leather that isn't as stiff as FQHH, I might not need to upgrade the size.
Basically I'm happy with the size of the natural Half Belt. Of course, 1 inch more here and there would be good. The stock jacket I'm interested in has that 1 inch more, but could be still tight for my little beer belly ;)

That's why I thought that CLX SH might have more "elasticity" right from the start. I also have a jacket from Thedi made of buffalo leather, which is robust but extremely supple at the same time. It simply attaches itself to the body. You can "stretch" the leather a little and it is comfortable to wear.

Here I compare both jackets (inches)

JACKETcurrent Aero Half Belt 1930current Thedi MarkosDifference
LeatherCLX FQHHBuffalo leather
Colornaturalcognac
Back Lenght25,5025,500,00
Sleeve Lenght25,7526,250,50
Pit-To-Pit (1/2)22,2522,750,50
Shoulder17,5018,751,25
Waist / hem (1/2)19,5020,250,75
Taille (1/2)20,2520,750,50

Can I expect the same with CLX SH - I have no experience...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for the information.
A person in the forum told me that if I get the Aero Half Belt in a different leather that isn't as stiff as FQHH, I might not need to upgrade the size.
Basically I'm happy with the size of the natural Half Belt. Of course, 1 inch more here and there would be good. The stock jacket I'm interested in has that 1 inch more, but could be still tight for my little beer belly ;)

That's why I thought that CLX SH might have more "elasticity" right from the start. I also have a jacket from Thedi made of buffalo leather, which is robust but extremely supple at the same time. It simply attaches itself to the body. You can "stretch" the leather a little and it is comfortable to wear.

Here I compare both jackets (inches)

JACKETcurrent Aero Half Belt 1930current Thedi MarkosDifference
LeatherCLX FQHHBuffalo leather
Colornaturalcognac
Back Lenght25,5025,500,00
Sleeve Lenght25,7526,250,50
Pit-To-Pit (1/2)22,2522,750,50
Shoulder17,5018,751,25
Waist / hem (1/2)19,5020,250,75
Taille (1/2)20,2520,750,50

Can I expect the same with CLX SH - I have no experience...
I think with half belts you can get away with an wider hem through the use of the cinch.

CXL SH will be more pliable than FQHH, now and later.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think with half belts you can get away with an wider hem through the use of the cinch.

CXL SH will be more pliable than FQHH, now and later.
Not just get away; I think they (including their cross-zip versions) demand a wider hem (compared to a motorcycle jacket or something) to look right with the hourglass shape.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I have had both. Steer is marginally easier to work with.

My recommendations for first, second or third time buyers of Aero's wanting CXL leather is the Steerhide.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner