Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cocker spaniel vs. cavalier king charles spaniel

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
im so excited! Im getting a new puppy (ok as soon as the weather gets a bit hotter im getting puppy) but here is my problem im thinking of getting a cavapoo (cavalier king charles spaniel poodle mix) or a cockapoo (cocker spaniel poodle mix) but I don’t know all that much about the cavaliers and cocker spaniels, we have a poodle right now (a standard 65lb poodle) so I know about that bread but as far as the other ones I only know what I have read on the internet, so I turn to the FL. If any one had or has a cavalier or a cocker spaniel I would love your input on the ups and downs you have had, I know each dog is different and each experience is going to be different but I would love just some more basic info that may be able to help me decide one over the other.
Thanks for any help you may give.

leo

One of the Regulars
I cannot speak for the mixes or cavs, but I have quite a bit of experience with cockers.

I met my wife 25 years ago when I bought a pup from a litter produced by her two cockers. Since that time we have cheered and cried over close to 20 cockers with 9 of them being regular members of the household. We have had rescues to champion show dogs (one was half-sister to a Westminster group winner) in a variety of colors, sizes, and temperaments. We are not breeders but did deal with two litters. We have met many other cockers and their owners along the way. We currently have 3, all rescues.

As you said, each dog is different and has its own personality and quirks. Nearly all of ours have been very loving. Only one was moved to a farm environment (ours are house dogs) because he was too aggresive. We have nearly always had 2-3 dogs and find they generally get along with others. Most of them are protective and will bark at strangers. Sometimes they will bark at people they know because they want attention. A couple of them had a strong hunting instinct and birds and rabbits were the victims. The finely bred show dogs can be high maintenance. Only 2 dogs did not get along well with children. We have all our dogs spayed now and it also helps settle down the males. Four of them were "kennel crate" raised and they adapted well.

Cockers typically want attention. They don't like to be ignored. At worst, this manifests itself in constant pestering or even chewing on stuff. They can be stubborn at times, but are trainable enough for hunting and obedience competitions, and certainly enough for pet life. They are housebroken easily, but elderly dogs may have accidents.

If you care for them well, don't be surprised if they live a long time. Our oldest now is 16, but we had them live as long as 18 and 19. Only two died prematurely, one from a rare blood disease and the other from unknown causes, although our vet believes it was from abuse she received prior to our rescue of her (our vet actually facilitated the rescue).

Grooming needs to be done regularly. We hire out that task and around here that costs about $35 for a "cocker cut", give or take. We normally keep them shorter, especially in warmer weather months. The exception was a female that we had on the show circuit for about a year that required constant brushing of her full coat by us or our groomer or handler. Shedding only seems to be a problem with the longer cuts.

The most common health issue is probably ear infection. They don't suffer some of the muscular or joint issues of larger dogs unless they get overweight. The bad breeding of 2-3 decades ago when cockers were more popular has diminished as the greedy opportunists seem to have moved into goldens and labs. In general, they are pretty rugged and relatively easy to care for. Like all dogs, and humans, they should have regular exercise, at least compared to the Siberian Huskies I had before meeting my wife.

Overall, I would say that cockers require a bit more care than some breeds, but they are certainly devoted companions.

Bill

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Both are extremely cute but they both have highs and lowers. Cockers are the one of the top breeds that have tons of health problems and seem to have a bad temperment when getting corrected while the Cavs have serious risks of heart disease and major seperation anxiety. Both have to be groomed regularly but provide wonderful companionship. This site has great fast fact information on many breeds that might be helpful to you. http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/index.html

Which ever you choose I am sure will bring great joy and love to your household and I can't wait to see pictures of the little tyke!

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
My grand mother used to have a Cavalier King Charles, and unfortunately he died from a heart attack... They're lovely dogs, but a bit unruly... Well he used to steal food on table... My grand mother was mad!!!lol lol!!!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:
I always thought a dog was a dog and their personality depended on how the owner treated them. [huh]

Cocker Spaniels are really inbred and a lot of them have bad temperaments as a result. They can be crazy. If you get a cocker, don't just buy a puppy on the spot without doing a little research about the breeder/family line first.

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
wow i did not know that spaniels have so many health problems, the more and more i read and ask people the more people say there health is bad. We already have 1 poodle so maybe the best bet would be to just get another one, any one have any poodles they want to tell me good vs. bad about, ours is sweet but im not sold on how smart she is. i love border colies but they shead way to much, my hubby has alergies when it comes to pets so we need somthing that's low sheding, about 10-20 lbs and smart, i really want a smart dog. maybe a poodle would be best [huh]

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
One of my aunts had a cavalier back home. Lovely dog, good personality and (her one was anyway) good with children. Only thing I noticed was you have to bathe then regularly otherwise they start to smell very "doggy".

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
My Husband's Cocker Spaniel

...ended up nearly blind at the end of his life and needed eye drops.

On the topic of spaniels, I speak highly of the Brittany variety. I had one as a kid and my parents have one now. They need a back yard to run around in and have a lot of energy, but they are very loyal, loving dogs. Very intelligent, good with kids (we used to practically hang on poor Cindy), very eager to please and therefore, trainable.

The only thing is (and you did mention you did some research), do a LOT of research!!!! You'll be with this decision for a long, long time and you want to make sure it's right. Spending time figuring out the right breed is part of the fun! One thing that helped me too, is to go through a rescue agency. The rescue dogs are usually the best, sweetest dogs because they are SO happy someone finally loves them. You often can get a purebred if that is what you want, and they really need good homes after being in sometimes horrible situations. Plus, the rescue sites will TELL you all the bad points of a breed because they want the dogs to find the right home, not just any home. Often the dog's bios on the adoption pages will tell you vital things about the dog that may help you find the right one...these people have spent time with the dog and can tell you their personality, their activity level, any important info you need to know because they genuinely want the dog to have the perfect family...as much as you want the perfect dog! :)

Miss Brill

One Too Many
NoirDame said:
The rescue dogs are usually the best, sweetest dogs because they are SO happy someone finally loves them. You often can get a purebred if that is what you want, and they really need good homes after being in sometimes horrible situations.

That is the truth. My dogs have always been strays, and giveaways---dogs no one wanted anymore, and they think they've died and gone to heaven.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Cocker spaniels

Because of a lot of inbreeding cockers have had more than their share of health problems. I learned all of this only after buying one. Buff colored cockers have been known to have a lot of skin and allergy problems. Spaniels have a lot of hair on their ears witch leads to favorable environments for ear trouble. They also have a higher than average probability for PRA, a genetic disease that will lead to blindness. My advice is to buy only from a reputable breeder and ask a lot of questions about their blood lines. I would also ask for references.

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
Another vote for the Brittany!

Ours lived to be 15 and health issues forced us to put him down 7 years ago and I still cry over him.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Let me second what NoirDame and Miss Brill said...

Rescue dogs are the best! They are so grateful for a new lease on life that they just smother you with love. I have a rescue Springer Spaniel named Cocoa (I've posted photos of him in the Lounger's Pets thread). He is a 55lb bundle of love, and the best dog I could have ever wished for. So I strongly recommend you consider looking at rescues or shelters for your Cocker or King Charles Cavalier (tho' I sincerely doubt you'll find many of the latter). Best of luck with whichever breed you decide on.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
they are both such beautiful looking dogs.I have always loved the beauty of the female king charles spaniel,their cute little faces with big eyes.I am always surprised at how many actually look like LADY,from lady and the tramp.I remember in school,all girls use to want to look as cute and beautiful as LADY:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points