Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit Mil-Spec G-1 Comparison with a REAL Issued G-1

HawkFlyer

New in Town
Ok, so I'd like to start off this thread with a simple notice... This is only a comparison between two difference G-1 Jackets here. I'm NOT trying to suggest one is better than another, nor that one is more "authentic" than the other (although one is an actual issued jacket that was indeed issued to me at NAS Pensacola, FL back in 2002, while the other is NOT an issued jacket at all). Again, this is merely a comparison. It can be used for people to base personal decisions from, and likewise, I'll be injecting a few personal opinions of my own. Moving on...

I - like some others on this forum - am very well versed in flight jackets. I was literally born and raised in the US military to a family with a history in military aviation. When I was old enough, I too joined and entered the world of aviation. I admired my fathers G-1 leather flight jacket growing up as the symbol of pride it was, and practically living with the squadrons (as the 1980's was practically the golden era of the modern US military), all the guys wore their jackets on a regular and routine basis. Taking my first flight in an aircraft at the age of three, and the first I can actually remember a few years later, I was hooked on the history of it all... thus I grew to enjoy learning of the history of flight clothing on my own.

The G-1 (originally the M422, then the "A", then the AN6552, then the ANJ3A, then the legendary 55J14 of the lat 40's) has become the coveted hallmark of exceptionalism in the world of aviation, and is treasured and coveted by those who earn them, perhaps more so often than the very wings first pinned upon their chest (regardless of gold or silver. Mine started off gold, then after changing branches years later, I was awarded silver ones and only allowed to wear those from then on). However, alas, times change, and with it, the general "look and feel" and "style" of the make of these jackets has changed too (for better or worse is often subjective, and sometimes argumentatively a statement of fact).

So to end this introduction, I'd start by arguing that there exist pro's and con's to both these modern era productions... So let's begin...

-- --

PART 1

-- --

Pictured below are two modern G-1 Flight Jackets, Spec: MIL-J-7823E (AS)

The one on the left is a brand new Cockpit USA Mil-Spec G-1, Color: Brown (Seal), Size: 40R, Leather: Goatskin, Collar: Real Mouton, Zipper: Brass

The one on the right is my USN 2002 issued DSCP (Defense Supply Center Philadelphia, now DLA) Excelled Sheepskin and Leather G-1, Color: Brown (Seal), Size: 40R, Leather: Cowhide (with Goatskin impression), Collar: Synthetic, Zipper: Brass

2017-07-30 16.32.04.jpg

For all intensive purposes, these jackets are a LOT alike. But before we get to the similarities, let's do a side-by-side comparison between the two. I first laid them both down flat and zipped them up.

2017-07-16 09.16.45.jpg

The very first thing that stuck out to me was the slight difference in shade of color. My Excelled jacket is a slightly lighter shade of Seal Brown than the Cockpit. Now... this could be a difference in dye color used, or it could simply be a lighter shade after years of wear, I can't say for certain, but it's only really noticeable in direct sunlight. Either way, neither color shade is "wrong", and in all honesty, my fathers jacket is a VERY light shade of brown with a jet-black synthetic collar (issued in the 70's), and yet to me, some of the best looking G-1's I've ever seen throughout my life were very dark seal brown with lighter sun-bleached, blond collars... So it's up to you to decide what you like better really...

2017-07-16 09.17.07.jpg

Looking further down the sleeves to the cuffs and you can notice a very distinguishing difference in leather. On the left is the Excelled. It is made of Cowhide with a "Goatskin" press to give it a "pebble grain" look... This jacket was issued to me in 2002... So it was probably made in maybe 2001 and stocked until handed to me. I've also worn this jacket regularly over the years... On the flight line, while flying in helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft alike, and yes, even on a few 1000+ mile-long motorcycle trips... This jacket SHOULD look broken in like the BRAND NEW Cockpit jacket on the right, which is made of actual Goatskin...

2017-07-16 09.17.20.jpg

Now I will say that the knits are both the same for each jacket. The only difference between the two is time. The knits on my Excelled (left) once looked exactly like the knits on the new Cockpit (right), and over the years they loosened up perfectly - exactly the way I like them to both look and feel... However, there is a noticeable difference in stitching as you can see. Not in stitch spacing (so many per inch, quality, and uniformity are the same), but in placement.

Next comes something of a massive debate across G-1 historians and lovers alike...

2017-07-16 09.17.28.jpg

Take a look at the Excelled above... See that stitch line that cuts straight across from the waist band over to the zipper? It is typical of nearly every historical G-1 issued from the earliest days right through to the late 80's, and then again from the late 90's till today.... Some would argue it is one of several tell-tale signs of a REAL "G-1". In the leather communities, it would also count as a sign of REAL "leather" (any time you find large swaths of "leather" without any sewing, it's more often than not fake. Real leather comes from animals, duh, and each piece is only so big. Think about it... Also, now is a good time to note the placement of the outer pockets on the issued Excelled are not the same. The right side pocket was actually sewn just a bit higher up the body than the left.). This was actually designated in the manufacturing requirements the Navy issued to makers. The body was made of separate panels of leather, and then the pieces that extended down to the waist to accommodate the zipper were added. The two pieces of leather joined together results in this line, but look now at the Cockpit below...

2017-07-16 09.17.39.jpg

Now, I'm NOT going to suggest that the Cockpit jacket is not actually made of real goatskin, but instead that the absence of the line doesn't necessarily disqualify the jacket as a "real" G-1 either. In fact, it was around the late 80's to early 90's when Cooper Sportswear (Cooper USA, now no longer in business) was awarded a single contract by the Navy that this "one-piece" style popped up for the first time. Yes, these were issued then too, so some issued jackets of that early 90's era with this style were indeed walking and flying around in uniform. Today, issued jackets have returned to the same style as previous, but also today, there's many companies who produce "mil-spec" G-1's (as much as I purely detest and despise that term in civilian marketing... "mil-spec"... ohhhh how I hate that term and it's pure ignorance...) of the single piece design like above. US Wings is another good example, though I'm not fond of their massively oversized - fat-man's overcoat - cuts...

And since I brought up the pockets in passing note earlier... Let's move on to the pockets, shall we?

With the Excelled on the left and the Cockpit on the right, I would make the argument that the Excelled most certainly got the G-1 pockets "correct" and the Cockpit missed the mark...

2017-07-16 09.38.52.jpg

Besides the notable size difference (remember both these jackets are the same size and same measurements too, but we'll get to that), the shape is also different. The typical "G-1" pocket shape is large and squared, with minimalist diagonally cut corners, placed up off the waste band seam but still very low on the body (usually within an inch of the waist band seam), and with a gracefully curved flap... Cockpit seemed to interpret this as "whatever, we'll do what we want!" opportunity... The pocket is significantly smaller in size, seems to be floating up and away from the waist, the flap is quite square, and the corners are comically over-embellished to say the least... This is perhaps my least favorite thing about this jacket, and I'd love to give the designer a piece of my mind for thinking this was a good idea...

Next up, the wind flap...

One of those "marks" of a true, issued G-1, is the storm flap. Now, there's not really a "standard" when it comes to this thing, but there are indeed preferences! I prefer the "USN" punch to be the vertical style "punch" rather than the horizontal style "drill". Here's my Excelled:

2017-07-16 09.18.32.jpg

And here's the Cockpit:

2017-07-16 09.18.39.jpg

The Excelled is the perfect example of how it should be done in my mind. The "USN" is punched into the leather, centered (from top to bottom), and aligned vertically. To me, this is "proper", however, I have seen a few older issued examples of "drilled" styles like the Cockpit example. The thing I don't like about the Cockpit example is that they didn't even bother to "center" it. The "USN" drill holes are further up near the top half of the wind flap. I don't know if this is by design or not, but it's certainly not up to the de-facto standard of most makers...

To be continued in Part 2...

Attachments

• 2017-07-16 09.19.28.jpg
    2017-07-16 09.19.28.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 450

HawkFlyer

New in Town
PART 2:

-- --

Now, with all that being said, here's a few more differences...

The leather on the Excelled is MUCH thicker and a bit heavier. It is Cowhide after all, and I honestly prefer heavier jackets. They feel "tougher" and just "better" in my mind. I love the idea of a leather jacket that would outlive me and that could be passed down for generations. A jacket tough as nails! So the Excelled jacket wins in my mind on that particular side... but it also wins a bit in "design" too... Here's a few examples...

On the inside of the Excelled, take a look at where the leather is sewn together with the liner...

2017-07-16 09.19.28.jpg

Notice that "roll" and then how its top-sewn together? Look here:

2017-07-16 09.19.59.jpg

I'd make the argument that this design gives the jacket a bit more strength and durability to go off of, especially when considering the lifetime of the jacket...

Now look at the Cockpit:

2017-07-16 09.20.09.jpg

Again, as with other manufacturing examples, the lack of this incorporation of a roll in the leather to join two parts is not unheard of. I believe Gibson and Barns are made in a similar fashion... But I don't think it's on par with the Excelled example. Also of note here is the wayward sewing along the waist band. It cuts quite close to the edge there for a bit, then jumps up and away in a rounded fashion, and makes a sharp B-line south thereafter to attain what can only be described as a minor course correction...

The next example is in the collar... Take a look at the two:

2017-07-16 09.36.41.jpg

2017-07-16 09.36.50.jpg

The Excelled has a typical two-piece construction, while the Cockpit again does not, favoring a single piece instead. But further, the tactile feel of the collars are different too. The stitching on the Excelled is more pronounced, and the collar itself feels a bit thicker, while the Cockpit version feels lighter weight or not as thick by comparison. Perhaps this is also attributable to the type of leather, I can't say. But I can say that this is one of only 2 areas where the sizing is actually different for these jackets... Take a look:

2017-07-30 16.38.55.jpg

While the heights of the collars are the same, the length of the Excelled collar is just over 19 inches, while the length of the Cockpit collar is over 21 inches. If you have a larger sized neck, this would be a nice addition, or if you simply like the extra room for a bit of comfort. Either way, it's not bad, but I have grown accustom to the shorter length of the Excelled (obviously).

Now the waist band is a particular pet peeve of mine when it comes to ALL flight jackets, regardless of model or type...

I HATE BUNCHED UP WAIST BANDS! I can't stand when company's do this crap, and think "blousing" the waist band is purely retarded... Sigh.......... ...However... even my modern-issued Excelled was once that way... Thankfully, however, the knits "relaxed" over the years and the waist band along with it to FINALLY end up straight like it should be... As you can clearly see from the marks in the leather, my issued Excelled was originally horribly bunched up:

2017-07-16 09.36.14.jpg

Thankfully, the Cockpit is not "as" horrible, but they still bunched up the knits a bit when they sewed it together, and I really wish they didn't... Yet I'm hoping it will follow suit and relax shortly down the road as well...

2017-07-16 09.36.23.jpg

As for the remainder of the differences, it's really in the smaller details... Like the color of the grommets used in the armpit for each...

2017-07-16 09.37.08.jpg

2017-07-16 09.37.24.jpg

Aside from that, the stitching is mostly the same color and thickness throughout for both, consistency in the leather is quite good, and I don't see any major flaws in either (despite their differences in age, but we're talking about manufacturing quality here, not wear and tear).

To be continued in Part 3...

HawkFlyer

New in Town
PART 3:

-- --

Finally, the measurements and "fit".

As I said before, the sizing and measurements of both jackets are relatively the same between the two. But there are two noticeable differences... The collar length being one (the Excelled's collar length was just over 19 inches, and the Cockpit's collar length is just over 21 inches), the second is arm length... The Excelled's sleeve length (measured from shoulder seam to end of leather) is 23 inches, while the Cockpit's sleeve length is one inch longer at 24 inches.

As for the rest, here's the measurements for each:

Excelled G-1 (Size 40R)
Chest (laid flat, zipped up, and measured from pit-to-pit): 22 inches (so it's ACTUALLY a size 44. Remember, you STILL get an additional 4 inches on TOP of that with the extension of the pleated back 2 inches on either side...)

Sleeve Length (from shoulder seem to end of leather, NOT including knit): 23 inches

Waist (laid flat, zipped up, and measured from side to side across waist line): 20 inches (I'd much rather prefer it to be 19 or even 18 inches across, but it's 20...)

Shoulder Width (measured from shoulder seam to shoulder seam straight across back): 19 inches

Back Length (measured from collar seam straight down back to end of leather, NOT including knit): 22 inches

Cockpit G-1 (Size 40R)
Chest (laid flat, zipped up, and measured from pit-to-pit): 22 inches (so it's ACTUALLY a size 44. Remember, you STILL get an additional 4 inches on TOP of that with the extension of the pleated back 2 inches on either side...)

Sleeve Length (from shoulder seem to end of leather, NOT including knit): 24 inches

Waist (laid flat, zipped up, and measured from side to side across waist line): 20 inches (I'd much rather prefer it to be 19 or even 18 inches across, but it's 20...)

Shoulder Width (measured from shoulder seam to shoulder seam straight across back): 18.5 inches

Back Length (measured from collar seam straight down back to end of leather, NOT including knit): 21.5 inches (might actually be 22 inches, but need to wait until waist band relaxes for a more accurate measurement).

-- --

Pictures:

Chest:

2017-07-16 09.23.48.jpg

2017-07-16 09.24.25.jpg

Waist:

2017-07-16 09.24.52.jpg

2017-07-16 09.25.34.jpg

Sleeve:

2017-07-16 09.26.33.jpg

2017-07-16 09.29.59.jpg

Shoulder:

2017-07-16 09.30.55.jpg

2017-07-16 09.31.21.jpg

Back:

2017-07-16 09.32.07.jpg

2017-07-16 09.34.56.jpg

To be continued in Part 4

HanauMan

Practically Family
That is an interesting comparison. Thanks for taking the time. Your jackets are real nice looking. I only have a beat up 1968 7823D which is very similar to your Excelled, though the inner zipper flap has the drilled USN as your Cockpit.

Just a question though, what is the purpose of the inner pocket? I mean, what is it intended to carry in a service environment?

HawkFlyer

New in Town
PART 4:

-- --

Finally, the "Fit".

I am 5'10", weigh 175lbs., have a 43 inch chest, a 31 inch waist, and an athletic build. These jackets fit me what I would consider as "perfectly" with the exception that two or so inches could stand to be removed from the circumference of the waist. As a flight standardization instructor, I argue time and again that "lose-fitting" and "baggy" flight clothing is a cardinal NO-NO!, and that your flight clothing should be form-fitting in design - as in conforms to the shape of the body without too much excess material. So getting these jackets in these labeled "sizes" is not a matter of picking a "size to match my chest", but more a decision of "what measurements accompany what label size for a CORRECT fit"...

Now, it's summer time, and very hot at the moment, so please don't mind the shorts in these picks. LOL! But as you can see, the jacket cut could be improved with a trimming to the waist line. The sleeves are a good diameter (10 inches at the arm pits and they taper properly down to the cuffs), and the stupid blousing of the waist band results in the bagginess in the back making the jacket ride up the back when you move about.

2017-07-16 09.13.32.jpg

2017-07-16 09.10.10.jpg

2017-07-16 09.11.20.jpg

Other than all that... Just waiting for the collar to bleach out should make this a very good jacket indeed I'll say. I will add a final note... One thing the NEW Cockpit definitally has over my ISSUED Excelled, is that the Goatskin ALREADY has far more character to it than my aged Cowhide has YET to achieve. LOL!.

HawkFlyer

New in Town
That is an interesting comparison. Thanks for taking the time. Your jackets are real nice looking. I only have a beat up 1968 7823D which is very similar to your Excelled, though the inner zipper flap has the drilled USN as your Cockpit.

Just a question though, what is the purpose of the inner pocket? I mean, what is it intended to carry in a service environment?

Originally the inner pocket on the G-1 is supposed to be a "map" pocket. It was incorporated for VFR flight so an airman could carry a folded up map and navigate. However, early in my own career, I found my EA-6B flight calculator fit in there quite nicely too... So really, it's for whatever you want to put in there. Some have suggested it was a pistol pocket... I call BS on that. My service pistol was far too heavy and would have eventually stressed and torn the seams of that pocket in no time.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
@HawkFlyer your thread is most interesting, and welcome to the Lounge. Briefly, you pointed out the long and storied history of USN flight jackets, including your experience in the US Navy. So, thanks for your service!

In 1967 while I was going through flight surgeon training at the Naval Aerospace Medical Institute (NAMI) in Pensacola, I was then issued a G-1 in size 44 that was chrome tanned goatskin and had a mouton collar. As I recall the fit was great in the chest and shoulders but had a blousy fit in the waist and had short sleeves (stork arms), at least for me. Unfortunately it was stolen ~1970 while I was an ENT/surgery resident at Parkland Hospital in Dallas and should have never left it on a hanger while at work!

Just last week I bought an original issue Irvin B. Foster G-1 made during the early 1960's from John Chapman (Good Wear Leather Coat Company) that does fit me like a glove and is in near mint condition. Although I just posted last week on another thread, I thought I'd post on this one too. John had communicated to me "There's something about the jackets from 1960-1963 that looks so cool. They have a tight waist area, and are very big and square in the shoulders. I don't see that much before, nor after that period. It really works, and on you, that jacket is superb. My only fault with that period is the zippers being shorter at the bottom, which seems to be a trait of Irvin Fosters from that particular contract. I've checked others that I've owned, and I don't see them being so short."

The main issue I have with G-1 jackets issued as early as the late 1960's is that I think the synthetic Dynal collar was substituted for mouton, and later on cowhide was substituted for goatskin. I would much prefer that all G-1 contracts have maintained goatskin with mouton collars, but that's just me, and I suspect the later contracts reflected cost cutting measures.

It is not my intention to hijack this thread but thought I would show another part of the elephant so to speak:

2017-07-28 14.24.34.jpg front_back_full.jpg label.jpg zipper_base.jpg
In the picture above you can see the Conmar zipper not going all the way to the bottom on this particular contract. The first selfie is of me, and the far better one to the right is John Chapman. If I were to buy a reproduction of any USN jacket, I would have John make me one. He has a stellar reputation for making incredibly accurate reproductions from earlier eras. Below is his URL for the G-1 I just bought from him:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_ifosterg1_0001.html

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
So, @Fanch, you were at Parkland? Oh, just to be in that building...
And yes, great thread. Been a while since we got something like this!
I was there at Parkland for four years and knew virtually all of the surgeons who attended President Kennedy when he died, which event haunts us to this day as his murder changed US history IMO for the worse. AND this is a great thread with which the op spent considerable effort that is much appreciated!

HanauMan

Practically Family
Thanks for the answer about the inner pocket. I did read somewhere about it being a pistol pocket but guessed it was, as you say, for maps.

I do like your Excelled jacket, it is very similar to my old jacket so I'm guessing that the specs were about the same. Is the lining cotton? I like the black 'fur' on your jacket, looks comfortable. My jacket has blond mouton, which I believe is wool.

That Cockpit jacket of yours, wasn't that Avirex once upon a time? I read a book about Avirex leather jackets, the company was started by a pilot called Jeff Clyman. They produced A2 jackets which were supposed to be like the WWII ones but weren't. Almost bought one, ended up with a Cooper instead.

HawkFlyer

New in Town
@HawkFlyer your thread is most interesting, and welcome to the Lounge. Briefly, you pointed out the long and storied history of USN flight jackets, including your experience in the US Navy. So, thanks for your service!

In 1967 while I was going through flight surgeon training at the Naval Aerospace Medical Institute (NAMI) in Pensacola, I was then issued a G-1 in size 44 that was chrome tanned goatskin and had a mouton collar. As I recall the fit was great in the chest and shoulders but had a blousy fit in the waist and had short sleeves (stork arms), at least for me. Unfortunately it was stolen ~1970 while I was an ENT/surgery resident at Parkland Hospital in Dallas and should have never left it on a hanger while at work!

Just last week I bought an original issue Irvin B. Foster G-1 made during the early 1960's from John Chapman (Good Wear Leather Coat Company) that does fit me like a glove and is in near mint condition. Although I just posted last week on another thread, I thought I'd post on this one too. John had communicated to me "There's something about the jackets from 1960-1963 that looks so cool. They have a tight waist area, and are very big and square in the shoulders. I don't see that much before, nor after that period. It really works, and on you, that jacket is superb. My only fault with that period is the zippers being shorter at the bottom, which seems to be a trait of Irvin Fosters from that particular contract. I've checked others that I've owned, and I don't see them being so short."

The main issue I have with G-1 jackets issued as early as the late 1960's is that I think the synthetic Dynal collar was substituted for mouton, and later on cowhide was substituted for goatskin. I would much prefer that all G-1 contracts have maintained goatskin with mouton collars, but that's just me, and I suspect the later contracts reflected cost cutting measures.

It is not my intention to hijack this thread but thought I would show another part of the elephant so to speak:

View attachment 80843 View attachment 80844 View attachment 80845 View attachment 80846
In the picture above you can see the Conmar zipper not going all the way to the bottom on this particular contract. The first selfie is of me, and the far better one to the right is John Chapman. If I were to buy a reproduction of any USN jacket, I would have John make me one. He has a stellar reputation for making incredibly accurate reproductions from earlier eras. Below is his URL for the G-1 I just bought from him:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_ifosterg1_0001.html

Great to meet you Fanch, and that's a wonderful Foster you got there. I know John's work well as of lately I've become familiar with the idea of getting one of his jackets myself.

Side note: I'm on his famous year-out holding pattern for a jacket right now. Originally I asked for a custom A-1 with several modifications. We chatted on the phone for a few hours about jacket history and specific details of jacket design that either simply never worked in real-life use, or could strongly benefit from a change. It was a fascinating conversation that I throughly enjoyed. Anyways... Later on I saw a few images of a "Raider" that simply looked like it had potential to be a seriously perfect modern jacket with that old-world charm, and I changed my order. LOL! But I can't wait to get it made from him is the point.

Yes, I too suspect the changes in material were cost cutting measures as well. You know the G-1 was designed with a fur collar purposely to remove the neck chafing that aviators always complained about when flying and constantly turning the head from side to side, but if they should have done any updates to the material used, you would think they would have changed the material to something more flame resistant! These jackets certainly are not made with that approach in mind, and while leather itself is great for some flame protection (as well as wind, warmth, and rain), the knits, collar, and lining are all flammable... And with aviation so big on flame resistant clothing, why didn't they incorporate such things into the changes in this one piece of issue too?

But I digress...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkFlyer

New in Town
Thank you for that informative and thorough write-up @HawkFlyer
Although the A-2 gets more love from many folks around here, I count myself among the loyal G-1 fans that appreciate the design, the history and the continuing legacy of the Navy's official leather flight jacket.

Yeah, I know the A-2 gets all the attention most of the time, but you know what? The A-2 is a HORRIBLE design for a real, functional, piece of aviation equipment! Yeah I said it! It lacks freedom of movement, the pockets are nearly almost always designed too small for any practical use, the leather collar chafes the neck, chin, and throat (which is exactly why they started issuing scarfs to airmen in the old days, and why the G-1 was made with a fur collar instead), and the arms are sewn to the body in a downward facing position, meaning that if you try to reach up over your head the entire jacket gets pulled up over your upper body and chest... It's a dumb design for a real-life use flying jacket, and it's really only good for one thing... wearing it just to try and look cool... LOL! Much love to the G-1! Yes, I DO argue the G-1 could absolutely stand to go through a few improvements itself in design, but as is, it's a far superior flight jacket compared to the A-2. ;)

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
Great thread! Thanks for the interesting comparison. Any chance of a photo of the Excelled label please. I have several and love them. Why get a copy when you can have an original hence however good they are the Cockpit is a non starter for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
Great info. I went through all 4 of my G jackets looking for these exact things. Only one of them was off when it came to the roll sticking on the indie. It is an older jacket with the white label. I think these were early issue jackets, but I am not 100% sure.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
POCKET PLACEMENT DiFFERENCE SiDE TO SiDE...

sorry for resurrecting this thread, which is excellent...but having as many G-1's as almost anyone on here, i've noticed (as hawkflyer notes near the top of his great comparisons/review) that the rightside (not camera right, but actual right side) patch pocket is sewn a bit higher than the one on the left. i've noticed this ever since getting G-1's a while back, and noticed it with the new SWO excelled contract issued Navy issued jacket as well (which is basically a G-2).

i've seen only one or two others address this, aside from hawkflyer on his contract issued excelled above, where he says: "Also, now is a good time to note the placement of the outer pockets on the issued Excelled are not the same. The right side pocket was actually sewn just a bit higher up the body than the left.). This was actually designated in the manufacturing requirements the Navy issued to makers."

i know it's sew (badpun) because virtually every contract mil issue G-1 i've ever had has that, and a new mil issue G-2 SWO i just got.

SO...just asking if anyone knows the logic behind this? my guess is that it would put the right pocket at an easier reach (by the pittance of 1/4" to 1/2" depending on the maker), with the surmise it's to accommodate the greater number of right-handed people. or maybe it's just for wearers to know that the right side is for items they may wish to be a bit closer? or lastly, perhaps to give more room when grabbing for a pen, for which the pen slot is always on the left.

anyway, would love to have some feedback since this apparently is a design designated spec.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112