Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit USA B-3 Fit

AndrewC

New in Town
I just purchased a Cockpit USA B-3 through the mail. My chest measurement is 41", but that is mostly because I have a wide upper back for my size and not a huge chest. I am 5'9'', weigh 150 lbs, my waist is 32" and I have narrow shoulders. Based on my measurements, a size 40 was suggested. Also, everything I read indicated that a size 40 in this brand would be the proper fit for me. The jacket measures 24" pit to pit at rest (25" when pulled). I am not 100% sure how a B-3 is supposed to fit, but to me it looks and feels a little baggy and I am considering sending it back in exchange for a size 38. I was hoping for a snug fit and I don't plan to wear bulky sweaters under the jacket. Because I am not sure of how these jackets are supposed to fit though, I thought I would seek some opinions. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
IMG_20161219_183843.jpg IMG_20161219_183859.jpg IMG_20161219_183908.jpg IMG_20161219_183912.jpg IMG_20161219_183917.jpg IMG_20161219_183923.jpg IMG_20161219_183926.jpg IMG_20161219_183954.jpg

avique

One of the Regulars
Cockpit B-3's run large. I typically wear a 44 but I had to size down to a 40 to get the fit I wanted. I originally purchased a 44 through a 3RD party website but the folks at Cockpit were very helpful and exchanged it for me.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a similar experience with an Irvin type from a well known jacket maker in the UK (not a brand often discussed on here, or purchased by FL members). Other people's idea & ours as to how these should fit can be very different...I'd agree with your baggy diagnosis....its a pain! I've been there too...

AndrewC

New in Town
I did send the size 40 back and got a size 38 in early January. While the size 38 does fit better, I think a size 36 would have been the best fit for me. However, with $140 in shipping with each return and customs hassles, I decided to keep this one as it is satisfactory. It is a good loose fit, but I would have preferred a snug fit. I contacted Cockpit USA twice with my measurements and they suggested a size 42 for a loose fit, and a 40 for a snug fit. You would think that the manufacturer would have a better handle on the fit of their own products as they were 2 sizes off in their recommendation. Anyway - I really like this jacket. Very warm and comfortable. With the collar done up and the hood zipped on I can go out in a blizzard and be comfortable.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Lookin' good. I've never put a hood up until this year. During the blizzard earlier this month I finally put up the hood on my N3-B Parka. Couldn't see anything but it worked. Thanks for the pics.

Worf

IXL

One Too Many
I think the 38 looks fine, and you could shovel snow in it, if you wanted. These B-3 hoods, do they just fit over a turned-up collar? I'm not familiar with them at all and was not aware of their existence. Sorry for the thread hijack.

AndrewC

New in Town
I think the 38 looks fine, and you could shovel snow in it, if you wanted. These B-3 hoods, do they just fit over a turned-up collar? I'm not familiar with them at all and was not aware of their existence. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Thanks. When I was in search for a winter jacket I really wanted a hood as I prefer them over hats. And I always wanted a B-3 so I was happy to find that Cockpit made a decent version with a hood. While there are other hooded ones out there, Cockpit was the best that I could find. I realize this jacket, with the hood and hand warmer pockets isn't a true B-3, but I like the functionality. The hood zippers on. When the hood is off, the zipper on the jacket is hidden by the collar. I tried shoveling driveway in this jacket during a blizzard a while back, but with just a t-shirt on underneath it was too hot. The hood and collar keeps my neck and head very warm without the need for a hat or scarf.

Tarek

New in Town
I'm aware this thread is extremely old but it's a real hassle with Cockpit USA recommending a size to me so I was wondering if you could post the basic measurements of your size 38.

AndrewC

New in Town
Sure. With the jacket zipped and lying flat, the chest is 23" and the waist with the buckles undone is 21". If I push down on the jacket compressing the fur so it lies flatter, or stretch it across the front slightly by pulling on it, the chest measures 24" and the waist is 22". I use the third buckle hole on the side straps and this makes the waist measurement around 19". Also, the shoulder measurement is 21", arm length 24.5" back length 26". I really wish that I had bought a size 36 for a tighter fit. Like I said, Cockpit USA suggested a 40 or 42 which was way off, but from what I understand they only take into account your chest measurement when recommending a size. Really they should account for your waist measurement also.

Ttown

New in Town
Are you happy with your jacket over all? How thick is there shearling mm wise if you have to guess. Or if you know that would be nice, they don’t have any idea when I asked them. Also up to what temperature have you used this jacket in? Plus thing about cockpit jacket is they give you side pocket & coyote hood. Which is huge plus in my book, I am 6ft, 42 inch chest & 36 inch pant waist. I called & they also recommend 42 for me. And I am not planning on wearing much with this jacket. Just like you want to wear single teeshirt, since I am assuming it’s crazy warm. My suit & sport coat size is 42, so would you say I should order size 38 to start. And thank you for your help in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko