Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit USA Goatskin A-2 Review

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
This is a fine jacket! Very close to G&B in quality. Good fit for me at 5' 11", 175 lbs, 40R. Nothing else to say...the photos speak for themselves. Only item of note are the 3 piece sleeves.

P1010172.jpg P1010177.jpg P1010176.jpg P1010173.jpg P1010171.jpg P1010170.jpg image0-1.jpg P1010178.jpg P1010175.jpg

Edward

Bartender
One of the more subtle 'civilianised' designs. I like the lining they've used; all too many of this sort of jacket opt for something garish with pictures of planes and such - not my bag, though I suppose it's not seen when worn. How are the handwarmer pockets done - do they have a visible opening, or are they hidden behind the patch pocket, a la an Indy jacket?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The hand warmer pockets are very well hidden, unlike my G&B. Plus it has two interior pockets, and the pen / pencil pocket. A very nice jacket, for sure...and the price is not bad at under $400.

Stitching, seams, everything is first rate. The fit (on me, anyway) is neither loose nor baggy. Hangs nicely on my very average size 40R frame. Smaller thru the waist than my G&B 42R. All measurements were taken face down, pressed flat on a table.

A pronounced leather aroma is present...not a bad thing at all!

As mentioned, the sleeves are 3 piece. My G&B sleeves are 2 piece, and my soon to arrive US Wings A-2 have one piece sleeves. Go figure.

Edit: Forgot to mention this is the new 21st Century A-2 model. They also offer a "reissue" model for those who do not like extra pockets.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Edit: Forgot to mention this is the new 21st Century A-2 model. They also offer a "reissue" model for those who do not like extra pockets.

Ah, yes - the current issue model. That would account for the marked differences from the original (interior pockets, handwarmers).

thor

One Too Many
I believe these "21st Century" A-2 jackets also have an extra panel along the side of the body (thus there are two seams on each side of the jacket body, from armpit to waistband). It gives them a more relaxed fit then the 1987 "USAF re-issue" model A-2.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I believe these "21st Century" A-2 jackets also have an extra panel along the side of the body (thus there are two seams on each side of the jacket body, from armpit to waistband). It gives them a more relaxed fit then the 1987 "USAF re-issue" model A-2.

You are correct. I was curious about that panel, now I know what it is.

Edward

Bartender

I'd hazard a guess it might also save a few pennies here and there by allowing smaller bits of leather to be used to achieve that more generous fit (presumably in the military so that it can be worn over the top of a flightsuit, rather than just collar and tie? Or - as rusty memory suggests - are these now confined to 'for show' wear?).

Don't the issue jackets also have the "football" gusset under the arms?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I'd hazard a guess it might also save a few pennies here and there by allowing smaller bits of leather to be used to achieve that more generous fit (presumably in the military so that it can be worn over the top of a flightsuit, rather than just collar and tie? Or - as rusty memory suggests - are these now confined to 'for show' wear?).

As far as a more "generous" fit, I'll state that this jacket is not sloppy in the fit department at all. A good fit around the abdomen and waist area...I wear size 33 jeans. Perhaps this panel is the cost issue, and some manufacturers state that goat skins are smaller in size, therefore more pieces are used for the jacket.

My G&B, size 42R, is a tad bigger through the waist. Should have ordered a 40...oh well.

Monsoon

A-List Customer

We wore them flying, just not combat.

I think the original reissue A2s didn't have the side panel. Guys had them put in on their own dime. I think the AF actually listen to suggestions made from aircrew and had that "football gusset" put on later models. I think mine has that.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
We wore them flying, just not combat.

I think the original reissue A2s didn't have the side panel. Guys had them put in on their own dime. I think the AF actually listen to suggestions made from aircrew and had that "football gusset" put on later models. I think mine has that.

I find this an interesting observation. I know nothing about A2's - you're saying that this was a mod that actual military guys wanted?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I find this an interesting observation. I know nothing about A2's - you're saying that this was a mod that actual military guys wanted?

Not being a military guy, I can only repeat what has been read on some other forums and blogs...that is many of the "civilian" mods to issue A-2's were brought about by the personnel doing their own mods in the field. Adding pockets, extra panels, etc., so the manufacturers have incorporated these convenience features into the current A-2.

Some of the issue A-2's and G-1's today come standard with these "civilian" features. Personally, I'm a big fan of side entry pockets. Great place for keys, maps, gloves...and if they are done correctly, they will not affect the cosmetic appearance of the jacket.

Looks like the marketplace has voted in favor of these items, including side entry pockets, interior pockets, etc.

Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
WWII jackets only came in "regular" length sizing but today's military-issue clothing all come in regular, short and tall sizes, another concession to modern-day comfort, fit and convenience.

Monsoon

A-List Customer

From what I've heard, some guys, when the A-2 was reintroduced, had them altered in Turkey. A lot of the mods caught on, especially the extra panels. It makes it so the sleeve doesn't ride down your arm when you reach for things.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
From what I've heard, some guys, when the A-2 was reintroduced, had them altered in Turkey. A lot of the mods caught on, especially the extra panels. It makes it so the sleeve doesn't ride down your arm when you reach for things.

Ha...necessity is the mother of invention.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Bit too blousy-looking for my taste. I prefer A-2s 'shirt-fit', though I'm in a minority.

At least in my case, this jacket is not blousy at all. There is just a little bit of slack in the lower back region if not zipped up fully, but I have that on every A-2 that has been tried on.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think the hidden handwarmers probably affects the shape, though I completely I understand why people would want them.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I think the hidden handwarmers probably affects the shape, though I completely I understand why people would want them.

YES! These side entry pockets are well hidden, but will cause a very slight "poofiness" in the lower front area. The Alpha A-2 (sent it back) had a huge "poof" in the lower front belly area, especially when zipped up. My G&B A-2 does not suffer from this characteristic.

As stated, I'm a big fan of these pockets, feel kinda lost without them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points