Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cointreau & Dita

16_sparrows

Vendor
2452366306_1293efc8ac_m.jpg

Its old news that Dita Von Teese is the new spokesperson for Cointreau, but I wanted to see if anyone has tried her signature drink from this brand?

- - -

Cointreau Teese
1 ½ oz. Cointreau
¾ oz. apple juice
½ oz. Monin violet syrup
½ oz. fresh lemon juice

Shake and strain into a martini glass with a ginger-frosted rim; garnish with a violet. Bottoms up.

– – –

I've never had Cointreau before, but I'm interested in trying this drink because of the violet flavoring. What do you think about this mix?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Yep, it was the welcome cocktail at my latest party (the welcome cocktail always matches my shoes at a party at my place ;) ) and I really like it, I like most cocktails with Cointreau though.

EDIT : I didn't have the ginger frosted rim.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Darhling said:
(the welcome cocktail always matches my shoes at a party at my place ;) )
Is that in case you have a few too many? lol

Dita's potation sounds overly, cloyingly sweet. Wonder if she's been initiated into the delights of the sidecar.
sidecar.gif

"Your carriage awaits, Madame..." ;)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:

haha.. no (but fun guess though!) I just like to match. My last birthday party was themed pink and EVERYONE showed up wearing pink, every cocktail was pink, even the strong ones for the fellas (thanks to Angostura bitter and Russian tonic).

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Darhling said:
haha.. no (but fun guess though!) I just like to match. My last birthday party was themed pink and EVERYONE showed up wearing pink, every cocktail was pink, even the strong ones for the fellas (thanks to Angostura bitter and Russian tonic).

:eek:fftopic: Darhling, you are TOO cool!

anon`

One Too Many
Fletch said:

Dita's potation sounds overly, cloyingly sweet. Wonder if she's been initiated into the delights of the sidecar.
"Your carriage awaits, Madame..." ;)
I must agree with your opinion. But what, perhaps, about a proper Casablanca as an alternative to the Sidecar?

(The Casablanca being 2½ oz light rum and ½ oz each of Cointreau, Luxardo & lime juice, shaken and served in a cocktail glass. Which reminds me--I need limes!)

Smuterella

One Too Many
it wouldn't be that sweet actually - cointreau is sweet and tart, apple juice isn't cloying and lemon juice is anything but!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
16_sparrows said:
I've never had Cointreau before, but I'm interested in trying this drink because of the violet flavoring. What do you think about this mix?

Get a bottle of Rothman & Winter Creme de Violette and try this one:

The Original Aviation Cocktail
(adapted by Gary Regan)

1-1/2 ounces gin.
1/2 ounce crème de violette.
1/2 ounce maraschino liqueur.
1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Combine with ice and shake for 10-15 seconds. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass or Champagne flute.

Or this one:

The Moonlight Cocktail
Makes 1 drink
• 1 1/2 ounces gin (Beefeater, Plymouth or Tanqueray)
• 1/2 ounce Cointreau
• 1/2 ounce creme de violette
• 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
Instructions:
Fill a cocktail shaker two-thirds full of ice and add all of the
ingredients. Shake for approximately 15 seconds, and strain into
a chilled Champagne flute.

16_sparrows

Vendor
Well, I finally got around to tasting it, and may I say...it was awful. No offense to those who find it tasty, but my friend and I found the violet flavoring overwhelming, which made the entire drink taste like a fancy soap. Le sigh.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
16_sparrows said:
Well, I finally got around to tasting it, and may I say...it was awful. No offense to those who find it tasty, but my friend and I found the violet flavoring overwhelming, which made the entire drink taste like a fancy soap. Le sigh.

lol I don't think I can ever drink it again now without thinking of this description!

Mojito

One Too Many
White Ladies and SideCars - Yum! But I will buy the idea that the Cointreau Teese is not too cloying with the addition of lemon juice. I'm not a big fan of Apple Juice in a cocktail, but might give this one a go.

I have a Cointreau cocktail book somewhere that was part of a gift pack, and I noticed that most of the cocktail recipes do not include white spirits - I suppose they want the emphasis on the Cointreau and not on gin, vodka, rum etc. Other ingredients usually include another liqueur. I wasn't overly keen on most of them, but one - "The Scorpion" - did get added to the repetoire. We modified it, though, and added some vodka and upped the amount of chilli to make it spicier. With ginger, Creme de Fraise and white cranberry juice, it's sweet and spicy.

Darhling, I am loving the idea of coordinated cocktails! And there are so many nice pink ones around - I'm fond of the Box Car at the moment.

16_sparrows

Vendor
Absinthe_1900 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if you used Monin's Violet syrup.

The Creme de Violette liqueur is better choice of an ingredient.

Oh, I have been looking for a place that sells Creme de Violette so I could mix-up a Blue Moon, but I haven't found anything yet. I did find *one* online shop, but because they were in CA, they weren't allowed to ship to me (in IL). Boo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana