Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Ladies, how do you use cold cream and witch hazel? Do you use it both morning and night, which one do you use first, what are your favorite methods for taking it off (water, cloth, or tissue), etc. I just want to make sure that I am using it right before I pass judgement on it! :) I just moved to a colder, drier climate and my skin is ultra parched so I figured I would give it a go...

Thank you!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I use it morning and night, and if I redo my makeup for an evening event.

I apply it in a thick layer (in the shower in the evenings), let it soak in a bit, and then remove with a warm, damp washcloth. I don't use witch hazel every day--maybe once a week, if that, or if I have a blemish. If your skin is very dry, I would skip this step and apply a good moisturizing cream instead (I love Burt's Bees Marshmallow Vanishing Cream; Nivea cream in the blue tin is also very rich.)

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I also use cold cream in the morning and night, and whenever else I want to remove my makeup. Since it doesn't strip my skin, I can use it as often as I please.

In the morning I remove it gently with cotton strips and in the evening with warm water and a soft wash cloth or cotton strips. And since I've begun using cold cream again, rather than benzoyl peroxide cleanser, I no longer have to use liquid makeup – only rice powder and cover stick when needed. I also quit using moisturizer on my face, except for around my eyes where I use the $1.00 Nivea in the blue tin.

My skin has improved a million times since I quit using dermatological chemicals! And it is also much less sensitive to the sun now that I’m no longer stripping it. I buy the Walgreens brand cold cream in the tub, which is cheaper than Ponds, and just as good. As for witch hazel, I don’t use it, but I’ve been thinking about picking some up to use on my t-zone.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I'm using it just at night and take it off with a warm/hot washcloth. I don't have any witch hazel yet but am going to get some. I probably will only use that once a week or so.

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Aw. Thanks y'all. I am looking foward to NO MORE DRY, RED SKIN! It makes me wonder why we have all of this "new and improved" stuff now... it seems so harsh. I am definitely going to pick up another tub of Nivea, I used to keep it in my purse for my hands but I am going to try it for the dry spots on my face. jitterbugdoll, I want to try the Burt's Bees cream also, but I am going to have to budget for it! ;-)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Burt's Bees products are wonderful! I swear by them. They have an excellent tinted moisturizer. Speaking of which - Jitterbugdoll, have you tried their vanishing facial powder? The loose powder is white, I would think it would be perfect on your skin.

I've been using cold cream, but quite honestly I usually only use it when I've been wearing heavy makeup. I apply it, let it sit for a minute, then remove with a warm washcloth. I follow up with an astringent because I cannot stand the greasy feel it leaves on my skin. I'm thinking I may try the "cold cream only" diet for a week and see how my skin reacts.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I am definitely going to pick up another tub of Nivea,

Make sure you use the blue tin, and not the plastic containers where the product was made in Mexico. The blue tin contains the original formula, which is much better :)

The Burt's Bees cream is around $9, and I love it. Hasn't caused any irritation at all and is nice and smoothing (plus, it smells like bananas!)

I agree with Rebecca in that my skin completely turned around after I stopped stripping it with harsh products. I still wear foundation, but my skin is naturally quite pink and I like the finished look that makeup gives it.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Burt's Bees products are wonderful! I swear by them. They have an excellent tinted moisturizer. Speaking of which - Jitterbugdoll, have you tried their vanishing facial powder? The loose powder is white, I would think it would be perfect on your skin.

I've been using cold cream, but quite honestly I usually only use it when I've been wearing heavy makeup. I apply it, let it sit for a minute, then remove with a warm washcloth. I follow up with an astringent because I cannot stand the greasy feel it leaves on my skin. I'm thinking I may try the "cold cream only" diet for a week and see how my skin reacts.

Yes, I have tried their powder-- I didn't like it as well as my usual powder (seemed to kind of sit on top of my skin [huh]) I was excited about their tinted moisturizer as well as the color was so light, but I could never get it to blend in properly/even out the pink tones.

I will say that I have gotten used to the oiler feel of cold cream, and it no longer feels oily. It's so soothing that I love to use it now :)

Caledonia

Practically Family
I'm making a skip over from another thread. What is cold cream? Cleanser, skin conditioner, moisturiser? I have a '46 recipe using almond oil, borax, rose oil and something else. The book seems to suggest that all you need is this and an astringent. Any hints? And if I make up a batch, how long does home made cream last? The book seems to miss that part assuming we all knew that back then.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
Yes, I have tried their powder-- I didn't like it as well as my usual powder (seemed to kind of sit on top of my skin [huh]) I was excited about their tinted moisturizer as well as the color was so light, but I could never get it to blend in properly/even out the pink tones.

I will say that I have gotten used to the oiler feel of cold cream, and it no longer feels oily. It's so soothing that I love to use it now :)

Yes, the Burt's moisturizer is difficult to blend. It's very thick, almost a paste consistency! I wear it in the winter, but I have to mix it with my regular moisturizer to get a better consistency - which probably wouldn't give you the coverage you're looking for. I have the lightest shade, it is almost white coming out of the tube.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Yes Caledonia, all of the above. I still don't like the feel of it. My skin is oily, especially in this over-warm summer.

However, I do have an old recipe for Rose Water Cold Cream

1 oz white beeswax
1 oz spermaceti (ok this is not available anymore, use Cetyl Palmitate instead)
10 tsp refined odorless castor oil (or sub. almond oil)
1 1/2 tsp borax
2 1/2 tbsp distilled water
1 tsp rose water
2 drops rose essential oil

heat the wax, spermaceti and oil in a double boiler, at same time dissolve borax in the water, add rose water, remove both mixtures from the heat simultaneously. Add water to wax phase, beat vigorously until it cools, add oil of rose.
Put into a jar.

It should last a while if you make sure that you are very clean while making it. Sterilize your containers (you can use alcohol). You can add a preservative if you like at the end, but the most common one, paraben turns into formaldehyde which is not something I would like on my skin.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Caledonia said:
I'm making a skip over from another thread. What is cold cream? Cleanser, skin conditioner, moisturiser? I have a '46 recipe using almond oil, borax, rose oil and something else. The book seems to suggest that all you need is this and an astringent. Any hints? And if I make up a batch, how long does home made cream last? The book seems to miss that part assuming we all knew that back then.

I have no idea how long the home-made variety would last, but if you want to try it out, I buy mine from Boots. It's very cheap (about half the price of Ponds and for about twice as much), plus it comes in an adorable little tub with a tin lid. I love the Boots Traditional skincare range, it just makes me feel glamorous just using it!

coldcream.jpg

Excuse the dent from when it leapt out of the cabinet one evening!

I only use my coldcream in the evening, I find it too greasy for the morning. But I alternate between removing it with a warm wet cloth and using cotton wool and then washing it off with a very light foaming cleanser. I have to use toner too, for the same reason - it's very rich and soothing, but greasy.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
I buy mine from Boots. It's very cheap (about half the price of Ponds and for about twice as much), plus it comes in an adorable little tub with a tin lid. I love the Boots Traditional skincare range, it just makes me feel glamorous just using it!

coldcream.jpg

I've never seen that brand before, but I want it just for the packaging! I wonder if we have that here in the US?

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Well, my skin must be SUPER dry because even after slathering on cold cream and wiping it off gently with a warm washcloth it (the cold cream) seems to be absorbed right away and is not greasy at all. In fact, I could definitely stand a rich moisturizer afterwards...it's still kinda' dry. It really does look a lot less red and the flakiness is gone. [Sorry if TMI] So I guess the lesson is that everybody's skin is different. No wonder when I use SLS type and foaming cleansers my skin turns into a giant peely, irritated mess. I love the cold cream so far, I am so glad that I read about it here... otherwise I never would have found it (it was on the bottom shelf at the grocery!) I can't wait to try the Burt's Bees cream! Thank you gals and thank you good ol' fashioned-ness!

magneto

Practically Family
Re: Boots traditional skin care cold cream

Rebecca D said:
I've never seen that brand before, but I want it just for the packaging! I wonder if we have that here in the US?

Hi Rebecca, Boots has started selling some of its cosmetics/skincare lines in the U.S. in the past year or two, at CVS and Target stores in certain markets...I think I remember a friend mentioning seeing them here in California somewhere. I don't know if that particular product is in the stuff offered though...but darnit, *I* want that jar myself!

:eusa_clap ...A big thank-you to the thread for the idea to use cold cream in the morning--putting makeup on when your face has dry spots is awful! I wash the CC off with a little face soap, so my face is not greasy but has enough residual moisture to get rid of the flaky bits.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
magneto said:
Hi Rebecca, Boots has started selling some of its cosmetics/skincare lines in the U.S. in the past year or two, at CVS and Target stores in certain markets...I think I remember a friend mentioning seeing them here in California somewhere. I don't know if that particular product is in the stuff offered though...but darnit, *I* want that jar myself!

Has it really! I was about to post that I was sure you couldn't buy it over there as it's a chain chemist's own brand. I'm sure I could send some over though if anyone wanted some and couldn't find any!

Rosebud

New in Town
I love the Boots Traditional Range too especially the cold cream!!!

I have found the best way to use it is to put on lots, leave for about a minute and then remove with a hand hot wet muslin cloth. Then soak the muslim cloth in cold water and rinse again, very refreshing !!!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I, like my mother before me, swear by Ponds brand cold cream, but sometimes I can't always find it in stock, another alternative that I like (and is also a good value) is Jergen's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112