Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cole Porter Biography Movie 'De Lovely'

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
Hello,
I wasn't sure if you folks were aware of this move but I wanted to share.
Dusty

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,123461,00.html

MGM Parties With 'De Lovely' Like It's ... 1929

Does Irwin Winkler, the man who brought us the "Rocky" movies, have something on someone at MGM?

You'd think so, considering how much money the struggling movie studio has lavished on Winkler's new picture, "De Lovely," a musical biography of Cole Porter starring Kevin Kline.

For "De Lovely," a movie set largely in the swinging 1920s and '30s, MGM has acted like a company enjoying a last hurrah.

In May, at the Cannes Film Festival, MGM spent a reported $2 million, maybe more, on a huge closing night party for "De Lovely." That's a lot for a company that pretty much lives on James Bond movies.

On Monday night, MGM opened its piggy bank again, forking over what had to have been upwards of $100,000 to decorate the otherwise murky Supper Club on West 47th St.

The flower arrangements, the lighting, an orchestra on stage performing Porter songs and other hits of the '20s and '30s, not to mention a complete installation of Art Deco-inspired wall coverings - all gave the Supper Club the look of a really cool nightclub from the Jazz Age.

It was all in stark contrast to the minimal, concrete tomb-like feel of the Bill Clinton book party that preceded "De Lovely" uptown at the Metropolitan Museum. (Is it a coincidence that that party was held right next to an exhibit of sarcophagi entitled "Early Funerary Art"?)

I asked Winkler who he had something on. Was it Michael Nathanson, the head of MGM?

Someone else snapped: "The real question is what does Nathanson have on [fellow MGM honcho] Chris McGurk?"

Winkler's eyes twinkled behind round spectacles as he laughed. "No, no. They just really like the movie."

I'll say. All this spring, Peggy Siegal has been throwing word-of-mouth dinners for "De Lovely" at the Plaza Athen?ɬ©e Hotel following small, intimate screenings.

One night Marvin Hamlisch played a medley of Porter songs on a baby grand brought into the dining room. Another night it was Peter Cincotti. Lots of society types were entertained to varying effect.

The fact is that "De Lovely" is not for everyone.

Who exactly is it for? I won't mince words here: Women and gay men. The "Will and Grace" audience, definitely.

"De Lovely" boasts a contingent of pop stars who perform Porter hits - Elvis Costello, Diana Krall, Natalie Cole, the ubiquitous Sheryl Crow, Robbie Williams and the startlingly good Vivian Green.

But most "guy" guys will likely fall into a comfortable sleep right after Ashley Judd, playing Porter's wife Linda, allows that she doesn't mind that Porter - in a certain-to-be Golden Globe-nominated performance by two-time Tony winner Kevin Kline - has a separate life with men.

"Guy" guys, you see, won't understand how you could say that to Ashley Judd. It does not compute.

The whole notion of "De Lovely" is that Porter is reviewing a film of his life with actor Jonathan Pryce. I'm still not sure why this gimmick was employed, but it's enough to know that Kline, wearing "old" makeup as the aged Porter, closely resembles Otto Preminger playing Mr. Freeze on the old "Batman" TV show.

("I've heard a few comparisons," Kline said. "Carl Reiner was one of them.")

Kline plays the piano pretty well and couldn't be better performing the musical numbers. But the pop stars have uneven luck.

Winkler came up with the idea, he told me, and he especially likes Costello. "Just seeing him in a white dinner jacket does it for me," he said.

But Krall looks nervous while she's singing, and Crow is completely out of place. Robbie Williams makes a good show of it, and Alanis Morissette is such a weird choice that it works.

But the real stunner among the pop stars is Green, a 24-year-old R&B singer whose second album should be out this fall from Columbia Records.

Since maybe three people in the country know who this young lady is, the effect of her performance of "Love for Sale" is like watching a new winner of "American Idol" wow the crowd. This is the next Whitney/Mariah, for real.

Less successful is Cole, whose voice is like shimmering glass and can do no wrong. Cole, however, is not featured well.

When she starts "Every Time You Go Away," anyone who knows the second line cringes. As an aged Linda Porter lies on her deathbed, Cole warbles: "Every time you go away, I die a little."

It's a poorly timed moment, as you can imagine, and takes away from Cole. Buy her albums instead. She is this generation's Ella Fitzgerald.

There are other problems with "De Lovely" as well. Featured characters are Sara and Gerald Murphy, the real-life couple who were all the rage in the '20s. They were famously friends of Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald and perhaps the inspiration for several Fitzgerald characters. Sara is said to have had an affair with Picasso.

Amanda Vaill has written an excellent, entertaining book about them called "Everybody Was So Young."

If only somebody associated with this film had read it! The poor Murphys are treated like second-class citizens in "De Lovely," stripped of all their legend.

On top of that, Sara Murphy, who must have been some sexy character, is rendered frumpy by actress Sandra Nelson, Winkler's real life daughter-in-law.

Winkler is a very nice man who's directed some good movies like "Life as a House," "Night and the City" and a personal favorite of mine, "Guilty by Suspicion."

You want to like "De Lovely" simply for its good intentions. But several times along the way, Porter advises, "Never end a show on a ballad."

Then "De Lovely" ends just that way, and you wonder why no one bothered to listen to his advice.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I hadn't heard of the film until I saw a commercial for it the other night. I thought it looked interesting, until I read the review you posted. Hmmm, maybe I'll wait and rent it on DVD.

Brad Bowers

Canadave

One Too Many
porter.bmp

Looks like it might not be a total loss. I saw a nice-looking Panama in a commercial, then this (a screen capture from the website - top cut off by banner on website, not by me :)).

http://www.delovelymovie.com/english/home.php

David

Paladin

One of the Regulars
I saw it this past weekend with my wife and another couple. We really enjoyed it. Porter's music is incredible, as always. Observing the costuming, I thought for sure that more fellows here would have seen it. Very well costumed, especially some great hats. Seeing the movie for the music and clothes alone--down to the details of the cigarette cases and eye glasses--is worth the price of admission. Granted, the gay stuff was a downer--had to cringe with the eyes closed in a couple of scenes--but I got through it.

I'd recommend that you see the flick.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok gentlemen, I have seen this film and was very disappointed. Let me elaborate. The costuming was very good for the ladies. The hair, dresses, the make up and all was very good. The men?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s fashion however was not as good as it could have been. The hats on some of the supporting cast looks like they have extremely shallow crowns that taper in to oblivion. You know the Fedoras at Macy's? Yeah, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s what I mean, wool felt! Don't get me wrong, there were some good hats and suits, but in an overall look at it was done poorly

The music wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t very good in my opinion. It seemed way to Broadway for my taste. Robbie Williams was way to Frank Sinatra for a Depression era film. The band that supported him didn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t sound like a 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s band at all! Having all the modern Pop singers cover Porter?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hits was not a bad idea as a salute to Porter, but if they wanted to have a period movie,?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ they failed miserably.

I feel that they needed to play more original recordings of bands that made his music really live. It just seemed hokey to me. The original takes lets one really hear what Porter wanted it to sound like.

If you want to see very good costuming and a film that is very true to the period, I suggest Seabiscuit! Tucker is also a very good film. It was made a few years ago and, also stars Jeff Bridges which is a very fun film!

'De Lovely' or Disturbing?

That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s my two cents.

Regards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk