Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar Stand

Stlawrence

New in Town
I've done a lot of research on collar stands. I understand what an why, but I have not seen anything near a consensus on them.

If you had a choice between a jacket with a collar stand and one without, which would you take?

Specifically, if you had a choice between a replica A-2 Mark 41 w/collar stand and the Mark 43 w/o collar stand, which would you take?

I'm looking at the Gibson Barnes, because they sell short sizes.

Thanks

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I’ve owned examples of Perry A-2 (collar stand) and Doniger (without). The collar sits more prominently with the band, but for comfort I preferred the more open collar with the simple neckline of the Doniger.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I find the collar stand gives an A-2 a more martial look - especially when its zipped up to the neck. A collar without a stand is more shirt-like and modern. As Dr H says, the latter is bit more comfortable.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I personally don’t like how collar stand feels and it also irritates me that with the collar so high in the neck, the zipper teeth sometimes catches in my beard and pulls it, like some watch bracelets tend to do in the wrists.
Maybe that’s just me?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I personally don’t like how collar stand feels and it also irritates me that with the collar so high in the neck, the zipper teeth sometimes catches in my beard and pulls it, like some watch bracelets tend to do in the wrists.
Maybe that’s just me?

Not just you: I used to catch my beard in the throat latch occasionally, which was a painful reminder!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've also had both kinds, and found the plain attachment much more comfortable than the collar stand. (Full disclosure: I also have a beard... and more chin than neck!)

Stlawrence

New in Town
Well, sounds like the consensus is against the collar stand. Thanks, all, for your comments. Since I have a short neck, too, I guess the no-collar-stand is the better choice.

GregGale

One of the Regulars
I had both types of jackets. Collar stands can look very cool and elegant, but definitely a nuisance when driving/ sitting.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
I’ve had a LW A2 both with and without collar stand.
Both of them were completely stiff, no real difference.

I kept the collar stand one and solved the problem by getting it completely soaked in the rain shortly after I got it and molding the collar down to where I liked the look and the feel.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
No idea what you mean. Care to explain?
You don't know what an ascot is?
ebe38cf5dea0acc5951933ad4560336e.jpg

Fonzie

One Too Many
No, I had no idea that was called an Ascot but then again English isn’t my first language, or maybe just I’m not so educated in dandy accessories.
Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk