Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collars - how to wear them?

Smuterella

One Too Many
Hey there lovelies.

I have recently become the proud owner of this beautifulpink embroidered collar but am just not sure how it would be worn (aside from around the neck, naturally!)

2010_1130cat0013.jpg

What sort of dress / blouse would go with something like this?

Any advice welcome.

crwritt

One Too Many
I think you would attach it inside the neckline with safety pins or basting stitches, so the tape on the edge is concealed. The one shown looks like it would go with a v neck.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I love collars! I have a whole drawer full. They add a fresh element to dresses you're getting sick of. Yours is so pretty :)

I think a dress of this style would look cute with that particular collar:
140pppp.jpg

Also, depending on how much of a purist you are, they can also look cute as an accessory with a collared dress (worn around the shoulders but tucked under the dress's collar). That way it would look like a sort of placket or front detail that's part of the dress.

Green&Grey

New in Town
I have seen similar collars in sewing books and the Make Do and Mend for Victory pamphlet, and I've always wondered how the ones that are designed to lay on top of the clothing stay put. They show this style in the video that Puzzicato mentions. Would they have put a couple of little stitches in the corners or perhaps had hidden snaps or something of the like?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Some had hidden snaps, but most were just laid in or pinned in with a couple of safety pins. I would think a gal might match up the snaps on a dress with different detachable collars if she wore them often.

LD

Smuterella

One Too Many
Thanks all! I guess the issue is that collars were made for specific frocks rather than the other way around!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk