Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collecting Vintage Trains....

I'll ask, since most people already know I suffer from small brain syndrome: I'm confused, what is it you are looking to collect - historical books on trains, antique model trains, classic train photographs / paintings, historical train paraphernalia, or (as crazy as this sound to me) the trains themselves? Or did you have something else in mind?

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer
I'll ask, since most people already know I suffer from small brain syndrome: I'm confused, what is it you are looking to collect - historical books on trains, antique model trains, classic train photographs / paintings, historical train paraphernalia, or (as crazy as this sound to me) the trains themselves? Or did you have something else in mind?

I meant Model trains.

A good place to start might be the Amesbury Hat Museum, which is housed in a model train Museum. Two birds....

I don't think you will find any shortage of model RR items, both new and used. There seem to be many people in the States who are obsessed with the subject. A hobby which is easy to track, until you run out of steam.

Re Philosophygirl's post: I am not a collector, but I have a few antique model trains that I've receive as gifts over the years (I also have a couple of newer model trains). But again, I'm not a collector, I just enjoy having a few to run and keep around. I've been on-line and gone to a few stores - to learn about the ones I received as gifts - and it is a robust collectors market (I know there are also collector conventions). So, in addition to the above post's advice, I start looking on-line just to get some basic knowledge and maybe go to a few shows to meet and talk with some people in person. Good luck and have fun.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I believe that old D&RGW locomotive is still active on the Durango & Silverton tourist line. It was part of the K-36 Class of equipment. If you've got the means... Go with the live-steam F-Scale version (1:20.3) by Accucraft: http://www.accucraft.com/modelc/AL87-231-C.htm

AL87-231.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Have you heard of the music impresario, Pete Waterman? Have a look at his model railway. It will keep you enthralled whilst you are building your own.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I have always been intrigued by the history of trains and would like to have a collection, kind of like a coin collection.

Not to be a smartass but you start out with doing some research and then spending A LOT OF MONEY. But seriously, this is what I tell people who ask me about collecting: collect what you like. If you start buying and selling to make a profit then it is a business. IF you like N scale then collect that, if you want to set up a railroad to run them around the house then do it. But love what you do.

Mike

Not to be a smartass but you start out with doing some research and then spending A LOT OF MONEY. But seriously, this is what I tell people who ask me about collecting: collect what you like. If you start buying and selling to make a profit then it is a business. IF you like N scale then collect that, if you want to set up a railroad to run them around the house then do it. But love what you do.

Mike

This is great advice. I know a few people who have turned their hobbies into to careers / jobs / businesses and they make a living at it, but no longer really enjoy their hobbies. That's fine as they kinda like their jobs and probably like them a lot more than if they were doing something to earn a living that they had no interest in. But they did kill the pure "hobby fun" part of it. I keep the two separate in my life.

This is great advice. I know a few people who have turned their hobbies into to careers / jobs / businesses and they make a living at it, but no longer really enjoy their hobbies. That's fine as they kinda like their jobs and probably like them a lot more than if they were doing something to earn a living that they had no interest in. But they did kill the pure "hobby fun" part of it. I keep the two separate in my life.

It's sort of like working for a company owned by a friend or family member.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I personally really enjoy collecting vintage Lionel. I have my grandfather's set that was made back in the 50s, all near mint, plus the tracks and vintage transformer box.
5iXGOdd.jpg

xgNw1Lx.jpg

Lionel is one of those things I truly feel should be an heirloom.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I believe that old D&RGW locomotive is still active on the Durango & Silverton tourist line. It was part of the K-36 Class of equipment. If you've got the means... Go with the live-steam F-Scale version (1:20.3) by Accucraft: http://www.accucraft.com/modelc/AL87-231-C.htm

AL87-231.jpg

I walked past their roundhouse just two weeks or so ago when I was in town for the holidays. The lights and the falling snow and the steam ... well, I wished I'd had my camera!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff