Collecting Vintage Trains....

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by philosophygirl78, Dec 13, 2015.

1. philosophygirl78

philosophygirl78 A-List Customer

2. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

I'll ask, since most people already know I suffer from small brain syndrome: I'm confused, what is it you are looking to collect - historical books on trains, antique model trains, classic train photographs / paintings, historical train paraphernalia, or (as crazy as this sound to me) the trains themselves? Or did you have something else in mind?

3. philosophygirl78

I meant Model trains.

4. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

A good place to start might be the Amesbury Hat Museum, which is housed in a model train Museum. Two birds....

I don't think you will find any shortage of model RR items, both new and used. There seem to be many people in the States who are obsessed with the subject. A hobby which is easy to track, until you run out of steam.

philosophygirl78 likes this.
  5. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Re Philosophygirl's post: I am not a collector, but I have a few antique model trains that I've receive as gifts over the years (I also have a couple of newer model trains). But again, I'm not a collector, I just enjoy having a few to run and keep around. I've been on-line and gone to a few stores - to learn about the ones I received as gifts - and it is a robust collectors market (I know there are also collector conventions). So, in addition to the above post's advice, I start looking on-line just to get some basic knowledge and maybe go to a few shows to meet and talk with some people in person. Good luck and have fun.

6. Zemke Fan

Zemke Fan Call Me a Cab

I believe that old D&RGW locomotive is still active on the Durango & Silverton tourist line. It was part of the K-36 Class of equipment. If you've got the means... Go with the live-steam F-Scale version (1:20.3) by Accucraft: http://www.accucraft.com/modelc/AL87-231-C.htm

[​IMG]

7. philosophygirl78

That is absolutely Beautiful!!!! ❤️

8. Zemke Fan

Zemke Fan Call Me a Cab

I'm a C&S fan (modeler) and this is my main locomotive (but the electric version, not live-steam):

[​IMG]

9. Zemke Fan

Zemke Fan Call Me a Cab

Of course, THIS is how it looked in reality (in use):

[​IMG]

10. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

11. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Super photos; quick, too.

SEE, PGrl78!! Lots of enthusiasts chugging along here...

12. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Have you heard of the music impresario, Pete Waterman? Have a look at his model railway. It will keep you enthralled whilst you are building your own.

13. 1930artdeco

1930artdeco Practically Family

Not to be a smartass but you start out with doing some research and then spending A LOT OF MONEY. But seriously, this is what I tell people who ask me about collecting: collect what you like. If you start buying and selling to make a profit then it is a business. IF you like N scale then collect that, if you want to set up a railroad to run them around the house then do it. But love what you do.

Mike

14. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

This is great advice. I know a few people who have turned their hobbies into to careers / jobs / businesses and they make a living at it, but no longer really enjoy their hobbies. That's fine as they kinda like their jobs and probably like them a lot more than if they were doing something to earn a living that they had no interest in. But they did kill the pure "hobby fun" part of it. I keep the two separate in my life.

15. It's sort of like working for a company owned by a friend or family member.

16. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

I personally really enjoy collecting vintage Lionel. I have my grandfather's set that was made back in the 50s, all near mint, plus the tracks and vintage transformer box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lionel is one of those things I truly feel should be an heirloom.

Fading Fast likes this.
  17. MikeKardec

MikeKardec One Too Many

I walked past their roundhouse just two weeks or so ago when I was in town for the holidays. The lights and the falling snow and the steam ... well, I wished I'd had my camera!