Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Football!

Doublegun

Practically Family
Cigarband said:
Charlie Weiss cost Notre Dame the win today. They were running the ball just fine and could have run out the clock,
but no, they abandoned what was working and started flinging the ball downfield. End of drive.:eusa_doh:
Michigan got the ball back with 2+ minutes left and scored with 22 seconds left to win the game.:rage: Charlie Weiss calls every offensive play, so this loss is on his head. ND should show him the door.:eusa_clap

I had the pleasure of being at the game (along with over 112,000 college football fans). Weiss coached a pretty good game, but I have no idea why he called the pass plays. But don't take anything away from Rich Rod or the Wolverines: they played a heck of a game on both sides of the ball, In the end I think the only real conclusion is that Michigan is probably a much better team than anticipated and Notre Dame, not so much.

Still not sure what to make of the USC-OSU game. I expected USC to have their way with the Bucks so I was surprised that it was that close.

anon`

One Too Many
Doublegun said:
Still not sure what to make of the USC-OSU game. I expected USC to have their way with the Bucks so I was surprised that it was that close.
Not that surprising. USC has both a new offensive coordinator and a true freshman quarterback. Yesterday was the first game for both of them. (No. San Jose State does not qualify.)

USC this year will be the weakest that they've been since Pete Carroll really came into his own as head coach, but they're still going to finish in the top two of the Pac-10, I think, and they're definitely going to a bowl game. Ohio State might make something other than fools of themselves this year, as well.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Switching around all day among UCLA-Tennessee and OSU-Southern Cal and Michigan-ND I got enough football adrenaline to last a couple weeks. All the games were tough (some might say this early in the year the play was sloppy, but let's be charitable).

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Florida 23, Tennessee 13. Vols barely lost to UCLA last week, which means to me that Florida should have won handily. Florida is my third or fourth favorite college team, but they did not look dominating.

Washington beats Southern Cal, 16-13. Trojans looked ragged and not focused. They did not seem like the powerhouse they should be.

anon`

One Too Many
Wally_Hood said:
Florida 23, Tennessee 13. Vols barely lost to UCLA last week, which means to me that Florida should have won handily. Florida is my third or fourth favorite college team, but they did not look dominating.
I may hate the SEC, but I love it when a quarterback delivers a hit that knocks a defender back, though!

Washington beats Southern Cal, 16-13. Trojans looked ragged and not focused. They did not seem like the powerhouse they should be.
I was shocked at this. But it led to an interesting observation by one of the local sports guys here in Portland: Oregon State is the only team that has beaten a healthy USC in forever. Stanford, Oregon and now Washington all beat USC after the Trojans lost their starting quarterback. Does this matter? Maybe, maybe not. But it's interesting to point out. I pity Washington State, bu can't wait for 3 October!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
My Cornhuskers (Nebraska) are not back to their former awesome level as they were in the 90s. Coach Bo Pelini is doing better than Callahan, granted, but they've got a ways to go.

Their game with Virginia Tech today was heartbreaking. They lost 15 to 16, and VT scored their touchdown in the last minute and 30 seconds of the game. Ouch.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
anon` said:
I love it when a quarterback delivers a hit that knocks a defender back, though!
AND, he's a virgin.............

It really is hard to dislike that kid. He screams AMERICA!!!!

And he appears to be genuine.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
anon` said:
... I was shocked at this. But it led to an interesting observation by one of the local sports guys here in Portland: Oregon State is the only team that has beaten a healthy USC in forever. Stanford, Oregon and now Washington all beat USC after the Trojans lost their starting quarterback. Does this matter? Maybe, maybe not. But it's interesting to point out. I pity Washington State, bu can't wait for 3 October!

Excellent observation- Matt (Wait til Your Father Gets Home) Barkley out and the offense can't see to come together. Result: big upset.

I thought the fact that Sarkisian was Southern Cal OC last year, and the WU defensive coordinator had the same job with the Trojans last year may have given the Huskies an edge in that they might have known their opponents' strengths and play-calling tendencies.

anon`

One Too Many
Wally_Hood said:
Excellent observation- Matt (Wait til Your Father Gets Home) Barkley out and the offense can't see to come together. Result: big upset.

I thought the fact that Sarkisian was Southern Cal OC last year, and the WU defensive coordinator had the same job with the Trojans last year may have given the Huskies an edge in that they might have known their opponents' strengths and play-calling tendencies.
Yeah, I think that played a huge role in it. Joe McKnight was commenting after the game that the Huskies' d-line was apparently--and I'm paraphrasing a report that was commenting on the article here--calling out USC's offensive plays on the line.

Washington is definitely overrated right now: they're nowhere near good enough to be in the top 25 off a single upset, especially one that wasn't particularly dominating. Right now, I'm picking them to finish eighth in the conference. USC, for their part still has a very good shot at the championship (again). Cal is, clearly, best placed to take the title from them, but hey... it's the Pac-10. Nobody gets out unscathed! ;)

Cricket

Practically Family
I know that I may be the only one on here, but I am excited about Ole Miss. But then again, even when they are down on their luck I can't help but remain proud. But hey, I was extremely proud to watch ole Eli earlier this week.

What about you? Have you ever found yourself so disappointed yet too full of pride to turn your head?

I know there were a couple of years where I just wanted to throw my hands up watching the season with my husband and his friends. But within seconds, i was ready to defend their honor when a supporter of a rival walked into the room.

lol It is kind of funny what a football game, a few cold ones and a stomach of game food (usually dip and hot wings) will have you doing by the end of the night.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
UCLA 26 - Cal 45

No denying it, Bruins don't have a consistent team. Sitting in the Rose Bowl with 60,000 plus fans and watching your guys getting tossed to and fro was rough...

But the tailgate on the other hand was phenomenal. Tri tip, carne asada, carnitas tacos, and a brisket as a long as my arm (I do not exaggerate). Shrimp cocktail to start it off, with chips and homemade guacamole dip. After the game we hung around and ate more while thousands of fans crept along in their cars, heading for the exits at the speed of a glacier.

Cookies for dessert. I made a Manhattan (shaken, not stirred) a little bit before kickoff. Gotta love college ball-

jwalls

Vendor
The SEC is as always the heart and soul of college football this season. The Forida-Alabama SEC playoff game will determine the true National Champion this year. In The South, "Football is not a matter of life and death. It is much more important than that."

anon`

One Too Many
jwalls said:
The SEC is as always the heart and soul of college football this season. The Forida-Alabama SEC playoff game will determine the true National Champion this year. In The South, "Football is not a matter of life and death. It is much more important than that."
And like every year, I'll root for whichever team makes it to get blown up. Eventually, it'll happen (likely not this year, but next year is ripe for it).

Then I'll be happy. Even if the other option is Ohio State.

(Seriously, the SEC is not all that. Four of their schools are good, now. The rest are firmly average.)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The prep football talent in Florida is unsurpassed. They got SPEED. It's hardly a secret that for the last two decades Florida teams (FSU, The U, Florida) have ruled the roost. I don't see the current trend ending anytime soon.[huh]

anon`

One Too Many
Time to resurrect this thread, because I'm stoked. Because in eleven days, not only will the Civil War be fought for the Pac-10 title, but for the first time in one hundred and thirteen meetings, it's being fought for a Rose Bowl berth. I can't wait.

In other news: what the h--- are #1 Florida and #2 Alabama doing with cupcake games against FIU and Chattanooga, respectively, in week twelve? These are what every other conference calls "preseason games". For those of you in the SEC, those are games played, you know, before conference play. Way to prove you're the best, guys. Especially against Chattanooga... I'm sure they're an absolute FCS powerhouse.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
anon` said:
what the h--- are #1 Florida and #2 Alabama doing with cupcake games against FIU and Chattanooga, respectively, in week twelve?
It's called a bye week.:p Seriously, there's been only one game on both these team's schedule since the season kicked off; December 5th in Atlanta, the de facto National Championship game. [huh]

BTW, I'd much prefer a playoff format.

jwalls

Vendor
Tomasso said:
It's called a bye week.:p Seriously, there's been only one game on both these team's schedule since the season kicked off; December 5th in Atlanta, the de facto National Championship game. [huh]

BTW, I'd much prefer a playoff format.
You, sir, are absolutely correct. lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21