Colorful cafe racer thread

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc mndt, Mar 30, 2021.

1. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

totally agree on the chest zipper too much to the side and the weird back layout, having 2 jackets with shoulder pads I don't hate that part, to me it makes the sleeve crease more while keeping the shoulder flat as I raise my arm up.

Marc mndt likes this.
  2. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

Wayne Gardner racing suit, I remember having tamiya gp500 scale model kit with a figure standing next to it with hand on the clutch with same racing suit when I was a kid. (I vaguely remember it was the era where racer has to start standing next to their bike, jog a bit, hop on the bike, release the clutch to start a race)

3. yellowfever

yellowfever One of the Regulars

It’s actually meant to be a (not perfect) copy of the ‘Fast’ Freddie Spencer design leathers, though Wayne Gardner was his teammate at Rothmans Honda at one stage and they had very similar designed leathers, so could be either I guess.

The sew on patch sponsor/advertising badges are long gone, so it’s an even more approximate replica these days. Apart from the stitch holes from the patches it has several crash scars, so it has a ton of character (or it’s wrecked depending on your point of view) and no outside pockets as per serious bike leathers. It fits me well, trim like bike leathers are meant to, so I like it even if wearing a Honda jacket is considered ‘cross-dressing’ for a Ducati rider like myself ;)

I think you’re maybe thinking of the famous Suzuka 8 hour endurance race which had a sort of ‘le mans’ style running starts! Crazy stuff. Especially as the bikes in that era were notoriously evil to ride with no modern traction control aids, body armour was still developing and track safety was variable, so plenty of the racers were carrying injuries from the regular big crashes. Running/limping on busted up legs was nothing to these lunatics/hero’s before jumping on and riding away like they’d stolen the bike… madness! But impressive madness…

navetsea and Monitor like this.
  4. Salmosalar

Salmosalar One of the Regulars

Lewis Leathers custom Super Sportsman in “vintage turquoise” 49E62F1F-25ED-4EDD-A304-CBB2CF1BAF4E.jpeg ….

sweetfights, JMax, navetsea and 9 others like this.
  5. Tom71

Tom71 One Too Many

Still a great look! Personally, shoulder pads would freak me out big time.

Marc mndt likes this.
  6. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

This is a great idea for a thread.

Here's my 1970s red cafe racer by TT Leathers, England. It has Clix zips, Newey snaps and a blue lining. The interior chest pockets have a green lining.

IMG_7559.jpg
    IMG_7557.jpg
    IMG_7561.jpg IMG_7562.jpg

7. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

I remember watching this era on TV as a kid with the rider pushing and hop on the bike on the start,
    I remember Isle of man was worse, you have to run across the road to your parked bike, grab the bike, run, and hop on it. :eek:

jonbuilder, yellowfever and red devil like this.
  8. yellowfever

yellowfever One of the Regulars

Wow running starts in GP in 500cc GP in 1983! I’d forgotten that’s how they used to do it! Thanks for sharing the video, old school heroism…

navetsea likes this.
  9. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

Adding a couple of updated pics of the luda clothing cafe racer to this thread

D2F36FF6-9F52-46E2-B5DC-28882D741C77.jpeg A4F416F2-0865-44AA-8291-8E6645A8E479.jpeg BAA05839-7A1B-447E-BF72-D8F7E5ED4920.jpeg 732CCAFD-FA28-4B5A-96A6-8B09B9D494BA.jpeg 2A5455EE-A311-471D-A819-8A292FFF6864.jpeg

10. Monitor

Monitor

I have a colorful cafe racer too! Well, mandarin collared jacket. But it's colorful! And super cool!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

12. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

Nothing at all. I searched the internet up and down but I couldn't find anything on the maker.

13. Riu

Riu Practically Family

Love this one, reminds me of the movie “Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man”

Monitor likes this.