Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colour co-ordination dilemma

Matt Lacey

New in Town
Hi everyone,

Even though I registered here a couple of years ago I think this is probably my first post! I'm looking for a little advice on matching colours.

My section at work organises a casual Christmas lunch every year, for which we all scrub up a bit (I'm in academia so the suit only comes out on special occasions!). I like to put in a little effort and use these opportunities to add to my wardrobe, and with this year's lunch coming up in a few weeks, I've been having a think.

I would like to pair my favourite charcoal grey suit with a chocolatey-brown fedora. I imagine this can work quite well but the wrong shirt/tie combo could ruin it. My first thought was a white/light grey shirt with a red or dark-with-red-bits tie (like this one, as an example), but I haven't convinced myself yet.

Would this work, or would it be a mistake? I would like to hear any suggestions anyone else has!

-Matt

Hal

Practically Family
I would like to pair my favourite charcoal grey suit with a chocolatey-brown fedora. I imagine this can work quite well but the wrong shirt/tie combo could ruin it. My first thought was a white/light grey shirt with a red or dark-with-red-bits tie.
Firstly, welcome!
A light grey shirt should be avoided, in my opinion, but the pictured tie (or one with more red in it) would do quite well. Florian's suggestion is also good so long as the "maroon" is not a blueish-red. I think that, partly because of the hat, brown shoes would be preferable to black even though the charcoal-suit brown-shows combination is disliked by some. What outer coat, if any, will you be wearing? The hat "pairs" with the overcoat rather than the suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo