Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Columbia & Raimi Team on The Shadow

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Source: The Hollywood Reporter December 11, 2006

Columbia Pictures has acquired the screen rights to The Shadow, the legendary 1930s pulp hero, for an adaptation to be produced by Sam Raimi (the "Spider-Man" movies) and Josh Donen through their Buckaroo Entertainment. Michael Uslan is also producing via his Comic Book Movies, Llc/Branded Entertainment.

Columbia has set Siavash Farahani to write the screenplay, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The Shadow debuted in 1931 on a CBS radio show which aimed to boost the magazine circulation of sponsor Street & Smith. The character was actually the moniker for the announcer, and listeners began demanding stories based on the name.

Walter B. Gibson created the character, writing the adventures of a crime-fighter who skulked in shadows wearing a hat and cape, and who had the power to cloud men's minds.

The Shadow became one of the greatest pulp heroes of the time, and the radio series, which featured a young Orson Welles, spawned the catchphrase "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

The character's most recent incarnation was a big-budget 1994 feature from Universal starring Alec Baldwin and directed by Russell Mulcahy.

"I've been a passionate Shadow fan ever since I was a kid and have long dreamed of bringing this character to the screen," Raimi said. He is not attached to direct at this time.

-JX

The Wingnut

One Too Many
...guess they felt the Alec Baldwin version just didn't cut it.

...and they may be right, there's probably room for improvement, or at least exploring it with another style.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I didn't mind the 1994 Shadow, either. It did a decent job of portraying the character and series. ...but I'd be interested in Raimi's take on it. He's certainly done an outstanding job with Spiderman.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Wingnut said:
...guess they felt the Alec Baldwin version just didn't cut it.

...and they may be right, there's probably room for improvement, or at least exploring it with another style.

Agreed - the Alec Baldwin version was OK but they dropped the ball and waited too many years to revive the movie if they wanted to use him. Let's say in the intervening decade or more, he would've cast a much larger shadow...and not in a good way. :p :) :p :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana