1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

combat camera heritage

Discussion in 'WWII' started by MrBern, Aug 14, 2006.

1. MrBern

MrBern I'll Lock Up

2. Tony in Tarzana

Tony in Tarzana My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks! One has to stop and think, whenever we see combat footage from WWII and the other wars, that somebody with a movie camera was right there in the thick of the battle getting that footage.

Ever seen the movie "84 Charlie MoPic"?

3. J. M. Stovall

J. M. Stovall Call Me a Cab

What movies have been made about combat reporters? Wasn't there a Burgess Meredeth movie from the 40's about that? Anyone remember any others?

4. mikepara

mikepara Practically Family

Only service cameramen should

be allowed anywhere near a warzone.
    Too many non-combatants running around shooting everything and editing things to look sexy or contraversal for bucks and awards.

Everything shot should be censored and if any crimes are commited on camera then the soldiers involved should be dealt with out of the limelight / news.

Wouldn't have handed the Nazis propaganda on a plate would they? So why's it alright to give Aljazeera it?

That busy ranting I forgot to thank you for the link. It was great. MP

5. Marv

Marv A-List Customer

I totally agree !:eusa_clap

6. Hondo

Hondo One Too Many

Thanks for the link, I'm still looking for WWII Photographers lapel pins.

And Burgess Meredeth movie was Errie Pyle, slips my mind, maybe "The Story of G.I. Joe"?

http://www.journalism.indiana.edu/news/erniepyle/

7. MrBern

MrBern I'll Lock Up

freedom of the press

Youre welcome.
    And I totally disagree. But I wont rant about it.
    -bern

8. MrBern

MrBern I'll Lock Up

USMC

Yes, Burgess Meredith played ErniePyle in TheStory of GIJoe.

Actually, in Full Metal Jacket, Private Joker became a Stars&Stripes reporter. Remember the scenes of his photographer posing w/ the M-16 & bragging about using his camera or rifle if need be.

Farrah Fawcett was in a tv movie about WWII photojournalist Margaret Bourke-White.

Tom Hanks narrated a documentary title Shooting War, about combat cameramen. Thats a must see. The only odd thing is Hanks is sporting the long hillbilly beard he was growing for Castaway.

9. Dixon Cannon

Dixon Cannon My Mail is Forwarded Here

Frankie's House (1992)

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0104294/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Errol Flynn's son Sean became a combat photographer. His character is portrayed in this film "Frankie's House". He disappeared in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War and never returned. He had done some acting of his own prior to going over to Vietnam as a freelance photographer.

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue9711/req11.htm

-dixon cannon

10. mikepara

mikepara Practically Family

Also..

get a hold of 'Over There' DVDs theres a great story of a cameraman inadvertently giving the enemy propaganda but trying to sort it out. Modern but great series.

11. MrBern

MrBern I'll Lock Up

NYT correspondents

Ah, & lets not forget the account of Dith Pran in The Killing Fields.
    A film about cutting thru the Govt propaganda to reveal the truth about the war.